Jump to content

The Fencer


Stevejack

Recommended Posts

Superb portrait. I like both versions, with and without the mask. One thing I liked about the portrait with the mask is that there was just barely enough illumination behind the mask to make out the person behind. Sometimes what you don't see can be as important as what you do see. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

Superb portrait. I like both versions, with and without the mask. One thing I liked about the portrait with the mask is that there was just barely enough illumination behind the mask to make out the person behind. Sometimes what you don't see can be as important as what you do see. 

There is a masked version?  Where is it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, fotografr said:

Post #619 in the M11 Monochrom Images section. 

Maybe we can lobby Steve to post it here so people can compare the two images. What do you say, Steve? 

Thanks guys, yes sure - here is the masked version I posted in the Monochrom thread. Another shot taken from side on is also posted on my Instagram, but I agree - being able to see just a little of the face through the mask, while maintaining some mystery, is a good way to go.

I have another shot paying homage to Andreas Feininger's Fencer portrait, with the sword bisecting the mask in a classic salute and her face visible underneath, but it looks a little too space-man like the way I shot it which is a shame. She also decided to bring her brand new mask to the shoot rather than her old grubby well worn mask, which is a massive shame because the bib on the new mask was still very stiff so the helmet wasn't sitting low like it normally would and it made for a challenging shoot. You can see how high it sits in this portrait. Live and learn!

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Stevejack
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Andreas Feininger! Wow that takes me back a few decades. When I was in my last semester studying Photojournalism, Feininger was the instructor's favorite photographer. His books were required reading.

I don't think the stiff neck on the mask would be noticed by most people without you mentioning it. The shot definitely works. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fotografr said:

Andreas Feininger! Wow that takes me back a few decades. When I was in my last semester studying Photojournalism, Feininger was the instructor's favorite photographer. His books were required reading.

I don't think the stiff neck on the mask would be noticed by most people without you mentioning it. The shot definitely works. 

Thanks Brent!

Yes Feininger's books are brilliant and I think still hold up today, and there is a really good BBC Masters of Photography interview with him online as well -  he's very articulate and I found his explanation for using extreme telephoto lenses for urban photography fascinating. If you haven't seen it here's a link; 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Stevejack said:

Thanks Brent!

Yes Feininger's books are brilliant and I think still hold up today, and there is a really good BBC Masters of Photography interview with him online as well -  he's very articulate and I found his explanation for using extreme telephoto lenses for urban photography fascinating. If you haven't seen it here's a link; 

 

Thank you for that link. I had not seen this interview but found it very interesting and thought provoking. Imagine what he could have done with the telephoto lenses available to us today. He was exactly right about the telephoto effect on urban landscapes but at the time he first started using them it was quite a new phenomenon.

I recall very clearly seeing his photo a long time ago of the woman looking at film on the light table. It was remarkable then and still is. 

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

wonderful pictures well executed, and with the deep tonality off the Monochrom sensor adding to the rendering. On a technical note, the depth of field looks quite shallow but the eyes nicely in focus despite being off centre, did you manage to achieve this with the rangefinder or did you focus with EVF?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2024 at 5:53 PM, Jon Warwick said:

wonderful pictures well executed, and with the deep tonality off the Monochrom sensor adding to the rendering. On a technical note, the depth of field looks quite shallow but the eyes nicely in focus despite being off centre, did you manage to achieve this with the rangefinder or did you focus with EVF?

Thanks Jon, I think I was at f/5.6 here from memory, and using the rangefinder to focus as I had the flash trigger mounted to the hotshoe. Focus and recompose works well at that aperture.  I’m pretty close to the subject and the backdrop is pushed back almost 2 meters behind her so at f/5.6 there is still a nice separation between her and the backdrop which helps with the effect I think. 
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2024 at 6:05 AM, Stevejack said:

Thanks Brent!

Yes Feininger's books are brilliant and I think still hold up today, and there is a really good BBC Masters of Photography interview with him online as well -  he's very articulate and I found his explanation for using extreme telephoto lenses for urban photography fascinating. If you haven't seen it here's a link; 

 

I’ve watched the video, his thoughts seem so much more sophisticated and thoughtful compared to contemporary offerings.  Thank you for sharing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...