Summarit Series 35,50, 90 Sharpness Test

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well that is it for testing , I will process some grab shots with just the Summarits in this thread also . First like to thank you for your time and patience and also would really like to thank the folks at Leica for sending me the lenses to give them a full run at them, there on there way back to NJ . Also i should add my theory on buying any camera gear don't go by one review that you see but several reviews and think of it as a puzzle that you need to put together and figure out what is best for you. These Summarits perform and they perform well and see no reason not to have anyone of them in the bag. Please also check out Seans review on these also and between use and Mark trying out the 75mm you should be able to get that puzzle solved to figure out what you need or want. Regards Guy

Once again this is on my workshop forum also so for different views come visit.

Summarit Series 35,50, 90 Sharpness Test - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guy, thank you for your efforts. I know how much work is involved and I only did one lens. The one thing I find surprising is the amount of CA evident in the 90 Summarit. I was concerned about this when I saw the first performance proofs of the 75mm and 90mm Summarits. However, I don't recall see anything objectionable in my 75mm Summarit tests. I am going back though my images to specifically look for it.

Guest guy_mancuso

Yea little surprised too but that bright white type is tough to deal with also. Sean called me today as i was putting up the test and we talked about it also. he just shot his CA today i believe and also spotted it. Of course it is easy to take out too so i don't view it as a big deal but glad it came up also so folks can see it and not be surprised by it later. I was just playing in LR and it is real easy to remove

I just finished going back through my 75mm Summarit photos and had a very difficult time finding any shots that showed CA. I closely examined numerous photos with lighting conditions which would be prone to cause CA. In fact, the only photo that showed noticeable CA (enough to correct) was of a water fountain which I posted and commented on in my 75mm review (permalink #21).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bill not really but what i have noticed is i have yet to blow out a exposure yet on the summarits , it seems they maybe better matched to the M8. These lenses seem to be designed with digital in mind, With the specular hightlights a little lower and the mid -tone a little more spread out, they tend to have a flatter look to them. Although still nicely saturated .

Guy, those lenses sure do seem to perform nicely on the M8. I'm afraid you now have me thinking about new lenses. Thanks a lot! Now I have to rewrite my letter to Santa. :o

Bill

Not surprised Mark you almost sometimes have to shoot something specific to find it. Trees sometimes are a place of CA with leaves and branches

I found this to be the case yesterday with the 75 Summarit, but nothing too drastic. Will post an example when I can.

Huw

Guest guy_mancuso

Right after shooting the test i just grabbed the 3 Summarits and got slap happy and shot everything around me. Not portfiolio pieces but just wanted to push the damn button. LOL

Okay look out servers here they come

35mm Summarit

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

2 more 35 Summarits than 2 50 shots

Guest guy_mancuso

Than i went crazy with the 90 Summarit . i obviously liked this lens as you will see

Guest guy_mancuso

Even more 90 summarits:D

Guest guy_mancuso

Just a FYI on our Moab, Utah workshop we are starting to get filled and there are several spots left but i would not wait to late to sign up. Just click link below for more details. Thanks I hope you all enjoyed this test and gained something from it. My regards Guy

This is where I had expected to see some CA with the 75 Summarit, original and 100% crop

That is a good example Huw, Yes, you can make out a small amount of CA in the bottom left water droplet. However, I think this is very good performance considering the conditions.

Sorry but you can't tell anything about CA from this picture or any of the others. Water droplets are transparent and refracting. The "colour" could have come from anywhere. The droplets on the other side show a green fringe!

Try any form of white goal posts against grass or clay preferably in bright sunlight, its a killer test.