Stuck at 38th frame

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shot thought the whole roll normally, as usual, and when I got to the 37th frame, I hoped it’s the lqst one and that I should rewind, however it counted to 38th frame and then the counter got stuck there, but ai can keep shooting indefinitely.

What happened here and what should I do with this roll? Rewind as usual?

Which camera?

Are you sure the film is actually progressing when you wind?

I always observe the rewind knob to ensure it's rotating when I wind the film. If it's not moving something went wrong with loading the film and probably your 36+ exposures were all made on the initial film strip.

Depending on how much of the film leader you wound into the take-up spool initially, you could have torn the film out of the cassette so it is now all wound around the take-up spool.  Best to open the camera in a changing bag or a dark room to find out.  

Or the film never wound on at all as suggested above.  Again checking in a dark room or changing bag will do no damage.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

I pulled it out, it wasn't loaded! 🤬

I made that mistake in 1970 with my Leicaflex SL on a trip to DC at cherry blossom time. Got back to the army base and rolled off 41 shots...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

I made that mistake in 1970 with my Leicaflex SL on a trip to DC at cherry blossom time. Got back to the army base and rolled off 41 shots...

That's unfortunate!

Fortunately for me, it was just a regular walk through the city. However, it was still disappointing because I went out with the intention to photograph and ended up returning home empty-handed.

Tomorrow is another day.

Edited by hirohhhh

Happens to best of us.

in film days I would always check that film take up spool is pulling the film. You load the film, close the camera, tension the film with rewind crank and advance, if film slipped out of film spool (not loaded) you advance with zero resistance.

22 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Happens to best of us.

in film days I would always check that film take up spool is pulling the film. You load the film, close the camera, tension the film with rewind crank and advance, if film slipped out of film spool (not loaded) you advance with zero resistance.

I always tension the film with a rewind crank. In fact, I did what I always do. It's strange that it went wrong.

The good news is it likely won't happen again. 😃

A few months ago I bought an M2 and my local Leica dealer. I had never used its loading system, so I bought a roll and asked the salesman to show me. He loaded the roll while I watched. 

I figured I'd better shoot the roll to test the camera, so I wandered the city having a great time. Like you, I got to 36 and it just kept going. Sure enough, the film was never engaged with the take-up spool. Weird, because now that I know how to do it, the M2 system seems about a foolproof as one could be. 

We all do stuff like this. A friend recently told me she got her developer and fixer mixed up and poured the fixer in first. 

John 

Edited by johnwolf

1 hour ago, johnwolf said:

A friend recently told me she got her developer and fixer mixed up and poured the fixer in first. 

John 

Ouch!

I always have the relevant packet in view, just behind the container for Dev, Stop and Fix to remind me what I am actually doing.

But that did not prevent me loading two 4x5 sheets of Ilford FP4+ into the same slot in the processing tank (sad face).

I have amended the instructions to remind me to pre wash film too, and that one set of chemicals will easily develop eight sheets of 4x5, and my tank only holds 4.

Oh well live and learn ...

No matter how smooth and fettled the camera is you can still feel film moving through it when you wind on, and the Leica M is not exceptional in any respect or the smoothest 35mm camera. As said it's a mistake to make once and then you never make it again, so never say never if it's not happened to you!

I typically check if the two dots on the rewind knob are turning in the opposite direction after inserting and winding the film , and I'm quite certain I did it for this roll... but I can't guarantee it. Perhaps it was the previous roll, and maybe I was too distracted on the street. Who knows... Is it possible that the two dots were indeed rotating and the film is still not loaded?

• Like 1

The rewind knob (2 dots part) only turns when the film is being pulled out of the cassette and is turning the cassette spool, which turns the rewind shaft. It may not turn initially due to slack in the film inside the cassette that must be taken up before it turns the spool. Should turn some after shooting the first 2 exposures to get to the "1" on the counter.

• Like 1

Happened to me once, with my very first film in m new MP…😡

The root cause was a simple mistake: I did set the film end into the tulip and after that I tried to wind up with the bottom plate still open…

Never try this, kids! Close the bottom plate after correct insertion without ever (!) moving the winding lever even a little bit.

Edited by Helge
  • Like 1

Yep it's happened to me. I'd like to say once but it was a few times on the same day (new to me MP).  But it's true it will only happen 'once' because now always look for the dots rotating , to give reassurance the film is engaged