Spinnaker Tower

biglouis

Andy

Thanks for the interest. No, I did not go up to the top. A couple of reasons. I grew up in and around Portsmouth and if you want a really impressive view of the entire surrounding area you can get it for free on top of Portsdown Hill. I honestly could not see how a view from the top of the tower would be any better. As for the outside lift it certainly did not seem to be working the day I was there.

It is an impressive structure but for my money it is much more impressive to walk around Gunwharf Quays where the tower is situated and even better to spend your dough looking over HMS Victory (a must if you enjoyed "Master and Commander") or HMS Warrior. You could even spend the money on a boat ride out to the Solent sea fort (which I must do next time I am down there) which I reckon would be a memorable architectural and historical experience.

So, imho, a great structure to look at but personally I think you can spend money on other activities in Portsmouth which are more enjoyable.

LouisB

I met Mrs B in the Florence Arms in Southsea (killer cider, IIRC...) on the weekend of the Iranian Embassy siege in 1980 :).

My uncle still lives just off Southsea sea front, so I know Portsmouth/Southsea pretty well.

The dockyard most certainly is worth a visit.

The lift is infamous - it broke down with dignitaries inside on the day of the official opening :D (Same contractor as the Bath Spa project - not sure if this is a coincidence or not...;))

We passed by this thing on a Britney Ferry ;) a couple of weeks ago, there was a guy climbing up the outside right near the very top, looked very scary.

Tried to shoot it earlier this year without much success, your treatment has worked here, imho.

Was it not called the Millenium Tower at one time, but was finished about five years late:eek:

Cheers,

Pete.