Leica Q1 - even more attractive in 2024

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently the use case for a Q was given. I read and consumed multiple reviews for Leica Q1-3. Money for value of course played a role, but in the first line I was interested in the best for my purposes. All are great, but to my impression Q1 is the most original and comprehensive with the best ergonometry and also best price to offer value. Just to look at the 5 buttons in a vertical row on the left. Thats Leica at its best. Special designed sensor. Q2 is sealed, has 48mpix without binning and an obviously worse low light capability. Better Video and slow motion, which is nice, but however nothing for me. Q3 sealed, 60mpix with binning, improved video capabilities, low light still not quite Q1 but better than Q2. Great, but comparing footage of Sony and Q3 makes me feel sad. Almost equal, no Leica feel like Q1 and, however less, Q2. Those Leica-luts of Q3 make it even much worse. Wonderful full size sensor compact camera with a great lens, but only minor Leica feeling left. I was grasping for any argument in favour of Q3, because I had been waiting for it, but in the end this apparently "dead" Sony sensor made me turn away and get the wonderful balanced, highly Leica like Q1, new and waiting years for me in a Leica Store showcase. What do you think about "Leica Feeling" related to Q1, 2 or 3 and the special Leica Look image quality?

• Like 1

Right. The Q3 is not as good as the 8 years older model.

Nothing wrong with prefering the original Q, but Everything the Q does, the Q3 does better. I never had a Q, but I'm pretty sure you cannot really work at ISO 12500 with a Q. With a Q3 it is still usable for me.

• Like 1

Age has nothing to do with it. As long as a camera does what one needs, all features, improvements, gimmicks, whatever, are irrelevant. The best camera is the one that fits your needs. Not the newest shiniest thing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Age has nothing to do with it. As long as a camera does what one needs, all features, improvements, gimmicks, whatever, are irrelevant. The best camera is the one that fits your needs. Not the newest shiniest thing. 

One of my favourite cameras of all time  is the Olympus Pen-F -- hardly a new model 😉

...and no, it can't work at 12,500 ISO either... but that's not what it is for...   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Le Chef said:

My favorite camera, still, is an early 1980’s Olympus OM2 film camera. I keep chasing its ghost or its spiritual offspring.

My first camera ! 
with a 50 mm 1.8 for 3 years. 
then I bought a 90 mm 2.0 macro .And a 28 mm zuiko. 2.8.

that was my setup until 1994. 

I did not know how good the lens was until I tested other lenses and I was disappointed…. 

cheers 

• Like 1

Hey, 

a friend of mine tested the q3 and the q2 but he did not buy it and just stood by his old q. He’s experienced and I think he like the look more. 
and I am thinking of buying a q for my daughter. So I can rent it from her 😋🤣

17 minutes ago, Pelu2010 said:

My first camera ! 
with a 50 mm 1.8 for 3 years. 
then I bought a 90 mm 2.0 macro .And a 28 mm zuiko. 2.8.

that was my setup until 1994. 

I did not know how good the lens was until I tested other lenses and I was disappointed…. 

cheers 

9 hours ago, Le Chef said:

My favorite camera, still, is an early 1980’s Olympus OM2 film camera. I keep chasing its ghost or its spiritual offspring.

I must confess I only stopped using the OM system 12 months ago when I finally realised I didn't have time for a film-based workflow. Sold a load of stuff and bought back into Leica M. IF ONLY there had been an OM body just like Leica did to make a digital M, but Olympus really lost their way over chopping and changing systems and mounts in the past 25 years.  The OM4 multi-spot metering, the small body size, the small sharp lenses..... I used them from 1981 on... bar about 8 years in the early digital era.

2 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The first one I bought new 😍

Me too. I still remember how I opened the package. Gold and black. 
and I still gave the camera. I could not sell it. This summer I bought some batteries and I reactivated it. 
And I like to take it out to dance with wolves.  

3 minutes ago, newtoleica said:

I must confess I only stopped using the OM system 12 months ago when I finally realised I didn't have time for a film-based workflow. Sold a load of stuff and bought back into Leica M. IF ONLY there had been an OM body just like Leica did to make a digital M, but Olympus really lost their way over chopping and changing systems and mounts in the past 25 years.  The OM4 multi-spot metering, the small body size, the small sharp lenses..... I used them from 1981 on... bar about 8 years in the early digital era.

Yes ! A digital Om 5 or whatever with the same mount but internal AF , would have been great. I still test my old on lenses on the sl2-s. 
and if I find an 90 mm macro I will buy it. It was my favorite lens. 

In the end I also had an OM40, with quite a few lenses and original case It even had focus confirmation. Stupidly I gave everything away when Olympus stopped servicing the OM line. The OM1 and OM2 were the best ones, however.

My first serious camera was a used Argus C3, (the Brick) it had a "look" too.   As far as the Q's, I've had all three, and each was an improvement over the previous model.  I'm sure that trend will continue, as has been the case for the M's.  When you find the one you like, and it does what you want it to do, you stick with it.  I like the 3 for the various improvements that have been made to the series.  I like my M8 because, well, it's just different.   Get what you like, like what you get.

Anyone who says that the Q is better than the Q3 never owned these cameras. Coming to a forum and trying to convince people that the Q is better than the Q3 is beyond ridiculous. If you own a camera and love it, that’s great, keep it at that. 

• Like 1