Jump to content

M11-P exposure compensation after firmware upgrade


75 suited

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had M11P for a week now and just upgraded today to newest firmware. 
I think this was not the case before but I can not say for sure. I have noticed that when using the thumb wheel as exposure compensation the screen turns on with compensation scale showing, even when I am looking through the viewfinder. Is there a way of keeping it off?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are two ways to set the thumbwheel as exposure compensation in M11, and I think it's the same for the P version. When using the Customize Wheel, it won't turn the screen on, but in my experience, there's a possibility of accidentally rolling the thumbwheel and changing the exposure compensation.

1. Using the FN button, which turns the screen on when you press the thumbwheel to set the exposure compensation.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

 

2. Using Customize Wheel, where you don't need to press the thumbwheel, and it won't turn the screen on. You can directly roll the thumbwheel to set the exposure compensation.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Evan-Liu 

You are right, the screen turns on only if wheel is pressed. 

Again not sure if that was the case in previous firmware as I have only had the camera for short time, but I think I had to press the thumbwheel first then set the exposure compensation and press it again to confirm it (otherwise it would not stay where I set it). 

Am I correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had set the exposure compensation to an FN button, you always had to confirm the correction, but not when using the customise wheel directly for exposure compensation. This is inconsistent, which I have criticised several times at Leica. 

But apparently Leica has changed something, because confirmation is only necessary when using an FN button if Liveview is switched off, but not when Liveview is switched on. That is even more inconsistent.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 75 suited said:

[...] when using the thumb wheel as exposure compensation the screen turns on with compensation scale showing, even when I am looking through the viewfinder. Is there a way of keeping it off?

I just half press the shutter release on the M11 but on M11-P i don't know sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/30/2023 at 8:54 AM, 75 suited said:

@Evan-Liu 

You are right, the screen turns on only if wheel is pressed. 

Again not sure if that was the case in previous firmware as I have only had the camera for short time, but I think I had to press the thumbwheel first then set the exposure compensation and press it again to confirm it (otherwise it would not stay where I set it). 

Am I correct?

If you want to assign the wheel to a particular function, eg exposure compensation, you will need to press it, turn the wheel to select the function you desire and press again to confirm. Once set, it stays as that function, for me at least, unless I change to a different profile in which I have it assigned as a different function  

If you already have it set as exposure compensation, you only need to turn the wheel to apply a + or - compensation. No pressing needed. Are you saying you need to press the button to apply a particular level of compensation? If so, that is not normal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

That doesn't sound right to me. One of the things that confused me massively initially was the user profiles. I imagined that when I was on a particular user profile the settings were retained. Unfortunately that isn't the case. When the changes have been made one then needs to go back into user profiles -> manage -> save user profile every time one wants the settings stored. Otherwise it will default to the previously saved version when you switch off/change user setting and come back.

Personally I'd prefer that the settings were automatically saved for each profile. I typically have a 'general', B&W general, B&W portrait, Colour Portrait, Landscape or similar on the go and sticky settings would be preferable, ie I'm on B&W Portrait and set e-shutter from hybrid and next time I chose the user profile it's e-shutter with going through the rigmarole of saving. Just my take and I realise that will annoy anyone who has learnt the current system sorry!

Anyway not realising I had to formally save each time led to a load of frustration in respect of why the camera hadn't remembered my storage/shutter/iso/etc settings.

Hope that is the problem and helps! Otherwise you camera sounds knackered -> shop and discuss (may still be user misunderstanding but seems a good place to start).

Good luck. I found mine super annoying initially but it's currently at the shop having its rangefinder adjusted and I'm missing it very very badly, I love the thing. I suspect you will bond once the issue is sorted!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Derbyshire Man said:

Personally I'd prefer that the settings were automatically saved for each profile. I typically have a 'general', B&W general, B&W portrait, Colour Portrait, Landscape or similar on the go and sticky settings would be preferable, ie I'm on B&W Portrait and set e-shutter from hybrid and next time I chose the user profile it's e-shutter with going through the rigmarole of saving

It's the way it works as long as you don't turn off the camera. But when you turn it off and on, the camera will read the profile file of the SD card ("settings.lcse") the way it is at this very moment. If you did not change this file by saving the profiles through the menus you cannot expect any change whatsoever. Just a good thing if your memory is as bad as mine. I would never remember the various changes i made w/o saving them on the card. Also a good thing if you lend your camera and don't want to retrieve it with the settings of another user. YMMV.

Edited by lct
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, lct said:

It's the way it works as long as you don't turn off the camera. But when you turn it off and on, the camera will read the profile file of the SD card ("settings.lcse") the way it is at this very moment. If you did not change this file by saving the profiles through the menus you cannot expect any change whatsoever. Just a good thing if your memory is as bad as mine. I would never remember the various changes i made w/o saving them on the card. Also a good thing if you lend your camera and don't want to retrieve it with the settings of another user. YMMV.

I suppose in an ideal world the behaviour could be set by the user; instant saving vs only via formal saving. It would need another menu line however which might promote its own incandescence from the user base. As well as distract team Leica Firmware from fixing some of the more egregious issues!

Link to post
Share on other sites

vor einer Stunde schrieb lct:

But when you turn it off and on, the camera will read the profile file of the SD card ("settings.lcse") the way it is at this very moment.

That is wrong. The camera reads the profile settings from the internal memory. There is only a backup copy on the SD card.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Derbyshire Man:

When the changes have been made one then needs to go back into user profiles -> manage -> save user profile every time one wants the settings stored. Otherwise it will default to the previously saved version when you switch off/change user setting and come back.

The camera retains the settings that were set when it was switched off. The next time it is switched on, everything should be as it was when it was switched off. This is the way Leica wants it to work and it works the same way for me. There seem to be cameras where this does not work properly. Hopefully the next update will fix this error.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, elmars said:

The camera retains the settings that were set when it was switched off. The next time it is switched on, everything should be as it was when it was switched off. This is the way Leica wants it to work and it works the same way for me. There seem to be cameras where this does not work properly. Hopefully the next update will fix this error.

That’s how it works for me. Choose a profile. Adjust it during the day. Switch the camera off and when you switch it back on, the adjustments are still there. Of course, if you switch to a different profile and back again, the adjustments will be lost, which is how I want it to work. If the temporary adjustment is important, I’ll just save it to be a permanent part of the profile 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...