Q3 Condensation viewfinder

Alx99fr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello to you, I have already made a post in the Q3 category in general on my return of the case...
and yesterday a first happened to me in the world of Leica and more particularly that of the Q...

So I'm in Fiji at the moment, the camera hasn't been exposed to rain or anything else, and in the taxi, I started to have condensation in the viewfinder...I say inside, because it's impossible to remove with a cloth, nor on the lens...
So it's condensation between the glass and the viewfinder screen...
Fortunately in the middle of the day it's gone...but when's the next one...because it's very complicated to use the viewfinder in these cases...^^
It's starting to cause a lot of problems for a device at this price, I have the impression that the Q3 was a bit botched...and I'm not talking about the M11 which I'm going to make a new subject...

Has this ever happened to anyone here on the Q3 or another model? any idea of the cause?

Have a nice day and sorry for the destination shock...^^

11 hours ago, Alx99fr said:

Hello to you, I have already made a post in the Q3 category in general on my return of the case...
and yesterday a first happened to me in the world of Leica and more particularly that of the Q...

So I'm in Fiji at the moment, the camera hasn't been exposed to rain or anything else, and in the taxi, I started to have condensation in the viewfinder...I say inside, because it's impossible to remove with a cloth, nor on the lens...
So it's condensation between the glass and the viewfinder screen...
Fortunately in the middle of the day it's gone...but when's the next one...because it's very complicated to use the viewfinder in these cases...^^
It's starting to cause a lot of problems for a device at this price, I have the impression that the Q3 was a bit botched...and I'm not talking about the M11 which I'm going to make a new subject...

Has this ever happened to anyone here on the Q3 or another model? any idea of the cause?

Have a nice day and sorry for the destination shock...^^

Normally condensation is from environmental change of cold to warm.

So I read it’s good to put the camera into a ziplock bag to prevent this sudden change in temp/humidity.

I check Fiji temp/humidity in December, maybe similar to Singapore is in low 30s degreeC n high humidity. Singapore shopping malls aircon maybe mid 20s degreeC. 
‘My car aircon at 23degC.
So maybe the taxi was blasting the aircon at 18-19degc. Condensation might occur. 

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb My1stLeicaCam:

So I read it’s good to put the camera into a ziplock bag to prevent this sudden change in temp/humidity.

May I add to this great advice:

Even after leaving the cooled car leave the camera in that bag. You will notice that the humidity is now condensating on the outside of the bag. Wait until the camera is close to the exterior temperature before taking it out. It will stay dry then.

As a cameraman I always used this method when I had to shoot i.e. inside a tropical house in Berlin.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found this article online that was informative and may be helpful.  https://photographylife.com/protect-camera-humidity

I experienced something similar going from rain and cold to warm and semi-humid with a different brand of "weathersealed" camera and lens.  I put my camera away (after wiping the outside off) in my backpack and let it adjust to room temperature and the environment.   I had no further issues.  I learned to be careful allowing my camera to acclimate to changes in the environment.

4 hours ago, Alx99fr said:

Thanks this is not reassuring ^^

All camera brands will face condensation. 
‘The manufacturer can include some materials to insulate the body from temp change thru conduction/convection. But that will probably increase the cost or affect the performance. 
‘But if you feel that there is a quality issue on the Q3, or you keep seeing this condensation on your evf, I would suggest insisting to Leica to do a check. Sometimes sales people are not technical people, and some may just brush off real problems. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Trankster said:

I found this article online that was informative and may be helpful.  https://photographylife.com/protect-camera-humidity

I experienced something similar going from rain and cold to warm and semi-humid with a different brand of "weathersealed" camera and lens.  I put my camera away (after wiping the outside off) in my backpack and let it adjust to room temperature and the environment.   I had no further issues.  I learned to be careful allowing my camera to acclimate to changes in the environment.

As I said, "weathersealed" has nothing to do with it; weathersealed is not watertight and certainly not airtight. This is moisture in the air that condenses on relatively cold surfaces and it caused by the air inside the camera being warmer than the body, lens etc. It can and will occur on any camera under the right circumstances.
It is even a problem if the  camera is in an underwater housing and taken into cool water. Therefore one has to put a Silicagel pack with the camera to absorb the condensation.

I recall being on safari in Tanzania in the rainy season (hot and 100% humidity). Even the sensor of my CL was totally fogged up, I had to wipe it with paper tissues regularly to be able to photograph.