Jump to content

Happy Thanksgiving


fotografr

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I realize Thanksgiving is an American tradition and there are many members from around the globe who don't celebrate the day, but for all who do, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. 

I use the same photo every year because I haven't been able to come up with a better one after 40 years. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Thanksgiving!

For the international members, think of Thanksgiving Day as an evolved harvest festival. In USA culture, it has become associated with a suitably sanitized story of the Puritan pilgrims, who settled in the Massachusetts area, but it was President Abraham Lincoln who declared the first Thanksgiving Day in 1863, and later, it was President U.S. Grant who made it an official federal holiday.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

vor 2 Stunden schrieb fotografr:

I use the same photo every year because I haven't been able to come up with a better one after 40 years. 

Living in a country where Thanksgiving is not an official holiday, I needed a moment to realize the content of your shot. Correct me if I am wrong, but those must be turkeys being prepared for shipping or sale, in anticipation of many festive meals.

Happy Thanksgiving, and enjoy your turkey!

 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Lelmer:

Any story behind it?

See above.

Edited by wizard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

Happy Thanksgiving!

For the international members, think of Thanksgiving Day as an evolved harvest festival. In USA culture, it has become associated with a suitably sanitized story of the Puritan pilgrims, who settled in the Massachusetts area, but it was President Abraham Lincoln who declared the first Thanksgiving Day in 1863, and later, it was President U.S. Grant who made it an official federal holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. However, to me, living in Ireland, you, living in Texas, are 'international'. Let's not repeat the infamous British 'Fog on the Channel, rest of the Continent cut off' 😇.

Enjoy the day tomorrow.

William  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Lelmer said:

First time I see it. Any story behind it?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Thank you, Alain. Back in my early days I was Photo Editor for a small daily paper. I assigned myself and my two staff photographers to go out and get feature photos for the Thanksgiving Day edition. They both came back with photos of huge flocks of turkeys in outdoor pens. I went to a small processing facility and asked if I could take shots of the turkeys being defeathered. When I walked in and saw this scene, I was shocked they had allowed me to see and photograph it. They were dunking the turkeys in a vat of boiling water, then plucking the feathers by hand. That's as much as I saw or needed to see. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. The stench was awful. 

Edited by fotografr
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, willeica said:

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. However, to me, living in Ireland, you, living in Texas, are 'international'. Let's not repeat the infamous British 'Fog on the Channel, rest of the Continent cut off' 😇.

Enjoy the day tomorrow.

William  

I reckoned that “international” would mean all of us, collectively. 🙂 I got the word from the top of the forum, but, can now see how it could be misconstrued. Sorry, I did not mean to seem to exclude or “other” anyone.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2023 at 2:08 PM, fotografr said:

I realize Thanksgiving is an American tradition and there are many members from around the globe who don't celebrate the day, but for all who do, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. 

I use the same photo every year because I haven't been able to come up with a better one after 40 years. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love this, the portrayal of a time that has passed that is gone, never to be repeated.  Brent, if you are proud of this, you are totally justified, 
David

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...