Leica new user shutter button problem

Ar Wing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just receive my m11p, this is my first leica and it’s really fun to take photos with it, but I find that the shutter button work wired, I don’t know is it normal or I got unlucky. 

The camera didn’t take photo if I half press and hold the shutter button than full press it ,it work if I press the button from 0 to full in a single move but it just don’t work if I hold half press than press to full. Is it a 2.01 bug or mechanical problem?

Also I find the shutter react a little bit slower than other brand like Nikon. Is it normal? Thx

Edited by Ar Wing

• Ar Wing changed the title to Leica new user shutter button problem

Half press locks exposure (shutter speed) as indicated by a red dot between the 100s and 10s position of the speed shown in the viewfinder.  Don't know what it does in live view.  Half press to full press trips the shutter.

Yes, it may be a touch slower than a DSLR.  Not sure.   The shutter first has to close, then open/close to take the image.  Then open again after the image has been taken.  If you go by sound it seems longer than it actually is as the image has been captured before the shutter stops making noise.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the shutter not working, it is definitely not normal behaviour. The half-press exposure locks, then full press should release the shutter.

My only suggestion, as per above, is to make sure that electronic shutter is not firing upon full press (because the exposure is read as too high for mechanical shutter). The M11 has no speaker, therefore electronic shutter is truly, absolutely, completely, silent. And there is no indication in the regular viewfinder.

If not electronic shutter, it does sound like a fault.

On the speed issue, the Leica is simply waiting for the decisive moment, and not taking just rando pics like a Nikon!

I really dislike the M shutter buttons. The cable release hole is both ugly and stupid. I doubt more than a handful of people use an old school cable release and the camera can be triggered by the app. I wish they would let you send the camera in to replace the standard shutter with one that doesn't have a giant hole in the middle of it.

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, John Ricard said:

I wish they would let you send the camera in to replace the standard shutter with one that doesn't have a giant hole in the middle of it.

Have you tried a soft release button?   They come in various styles and prices.  Examples:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/soft-shutter-releases/ci/29301/N/3720527312

vor 37 Minuten schrieb John Ricard:

I really dislike the M shutter buttons. The cable release hole is both ugly and stupid. I doubt more than a handful of people use an old school cable release and the camera can be triggered by the app. I wish they would let you send the camera in to replace the standard shutter with one that doesn't have a giant hole in the middle of it.

i do use at times that 'old school' cable release, and i am more than happy doing so as the camera body doesn't pick my hand/finger movements.

however i never ever use that FOTOS app, i feel it's pretty useless and way too clunky for the type of photography i do, that's taking immediate action whenever something worthy jumps in front of my lens every second counts then, and even the slow wake-up time of >1.5s feels like an ethernity in such moments !

giant hole ?  at least it tells when my index finger berry is in the shutter middle :)  actually i hardly feel it and it may be more of an optical issue, am i right ?

Edited by fenykepesz
  • Like 2