Non encoded lens switching question

mattcheol

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know there are several threads adjacent to this topic but I couldn't find one about this specifically. Simply, I am wondering if the M11 can prompt me whenever an unrecognized lens is on the camera that way I can be reminded to choose a lens profile. I believe this is what the SL cameras do? Sometimes I change from one unencoded lens to another and in the heat of the moment just forget to change the profile, then in post I have a hard time fixing the metadata because I'm unsure which lens was used. I think I've combed through all the menu options and can't find anything, but hope I'm just missing something simple. 

I do not think the M11/M11P may be set to prompt you on attaching an non-encoded lens, but it will certainly show on the back screen (in the upper right corner of the screen) something like "no lens detected". Else, if the camera did detect a specific lens, it will show the name of that lens at the same location. You just have to pay attention to what appears on the screen at that location.

4 hours ago, wizard said:

I do not think the M11/M11P may be set to prompt you on attaching an non-encoded lens, but it will certainly show on the back screen (in the upper right corner of the screen) something like "no lens detected". Else, if the camera did detect a specific lens, it will show the name of that lens at the same location. You just have to pay attention to what appears on the screen at that location.

I've never once seen the "no lens detected" I imagine because the default behavior is that it remembers the last manually inputted lens and defaults to that until changed again. 

I appreciate the response, it confirms that the ability to prompt doesn't exist and that I'm not just missing an option in the menu. Thanks. I'm not sure if something like this could be added through firmware... I'm afraid probably not because I'm not sure the camera can even tell when a non encoded lens is put on or taken off?

The camera displays "No Lens" when no lens is attached or when it believes so. Problem is it believes so when some lenses are attached, typically a LTM lens with a black adapter or a silver adapter with cutouts. When a lens is attached and is not recognised by the camera, the latter displays "Uncoded".

• Thanks 1