Magenta night lights

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Taking the ferry home last night, Bay Bridge lights are all magenta!  They are bright yellow in real life.  Noctilux 1.0.  This is not a cast, that’s a complete color change.  Straight out of FOTOS.  Bug or feature?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by setuporg

7 minutes ago, setuporg said:

Dude this is a ferry.  Come stand next to me and let’s see who has better focus there.:)

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This basically purple fringing, easily removed by a slider in your postprocessing program. Often erroneously attributed to chromatic aberration, it is caused by  an aliasing effect in your postprocessing and/or sensor blooming.  It is similar to the purple edges seen on tree branches against a bright sky.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jaapv said:

This basically purple fringing, easily removed by a slider in your postprocessing program. Often erroneously attributed to chromatic aberration, it is caused by  an aliasing effect in your postprocessing and/or sensor blooming.  It is similar to the purple edges seen on tree branches against a bright sky.

What I need to know is whether it is related to other magenta problems with the M11 sensor.

0.95 on the boat

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Robert Blanko said:

What makes the sensor of the M11 prone to purple fringing? I have never noticed this effect with any of my cameras.

Nothing.  It is seen on all brands of cameras and Leica no better or worse than others.  Although small photo sites are more prone to the raster errors and crosstalk that are the root cause.

It is either the lens (rarely, if the CA correction in the software fails) or if seen on film, or the interpolation of the file.

https://www.imatest.com/support/docs/23-1/sfr_chromatic/

Note:The Imatest article fails to mention that. blooming only occurs on CCD sensors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Feature.  By the way……….practice focusing.

Just for the record, in case it’s not obvious, here the focus is on infinity, and my Noctilux 1.0 is supposed to be sharp there wide-open.  It’s at night on a moving ferry, so the blur is not focusing, but motion.

8 hours ago, setuporg said:

Just for the record, in case it’s not obvious, here the focus is on infinity, and my Noctilux 1.0 is supposed to be sharp there wide-open.  It’s at night on a moving ferry, so the blur is not focusing, but motion.

The automatic function of Topaz Sharpen AI recognizes it as motion blur. And crisps it up rather nearly BTW. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a rough crossing. I can sympathise. I had the same focusing problem as you on the Aberdeen-Shetland ferry. I tried Topaz Sharpen, but....
(We need a ferry crossing thread).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Haha 5