Big Rainbow Flare?

blackdot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been shooting Leica for a couple of decades +, and I've usually used older lenses that flare very nicely with a diffuse kind of look. I recently picked up a 35mm Summicron ASPH v1, and It gives me these thick rainbow lines when the sun is near the edge of the frame. I don't use a hood (with this or any other lens) because the lens is already kinda big, and I also use a B+W UV, like I do with everything else.

Is this normal for this lens, and do any other modern ASPH lenses do the same thing? I was thinking of getting a 28mm ASPH cron, but may have to rethink it if it's similar. My little 28mm Elmarit ASPH v1 does not do this, and my 21mm SEM doesn't seem to either (though to be fair, I don't shoot it often). I'm hoping it's just a quirk of this particular lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

As with various other lenses, some care required with sun just outside frame.  But I’ve not seen this rainbow effect with mine.

Various discussions via search…

Jeff

I'm definitely no stranger to normal flare, but this is rather distinctive and unpleasant compared to other lenses. It makes me nervous to buy other modern ASPH lenses.

Here's a crazy idea: use the sun hood. I know it is daring and very gung-ho but I am 84,7% sure that it will help...
I do flares controlled so whenever I do NOT want them (I have 4 ASPH lenses that do these tiny rainbow flares occasionally, including the 35) I use the hood.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, blackdot said:

I don't use a hood (with this or any other lens) because the lens is already kinda big .....

Change it for the Summarit which is in my experience pretty flare resistant and small even with its hood. (Most Leica lenses are small anyway in all honesty but I suppose its all relative).

22 minutes ago, pgk said:

Change it for the Summarit which is in my experience pretty flare resistant and small even with its hood. (Most Leica lenses are small anyway in all honesty but I suppose its all relative).

I have been keeping an eye out for the 2.5 version, but they don't come up too often at my usual shops. I kind of want to shift more towards 28mm, though. 

6 minutes ago, newtoleica said:

35mm lens, filter on top of it and no hood? You're asking for flares. 

Stick a hood on it whenever there is sunshine - nothing specific to Leica, just photography 101. 😝

When you get more experience you might understand what I'm talking about. Or you could just read what I actually wrote.

6 minutes ago, blackdot said:

When you get more experience you might understand what I'm talking about. Or you could just read what I actually wrote.

Apologies, not meaning to irritate. A rainbow flare must be coming off something point reflective in order to cause the diffraction effect rather than a diffuse flare. it's very sharp. Is there anything reflective on the edge of the filter like a small ding? Do you get the effect with the filter off? I have a 35 summilux ASPH v1 and a 24 Summilux and don't see this with either (or the 50 APO).

There are some examples in the net, that under certain conditions the sensor (not only Leica sensors) shows reflection when the sun comes in the "right" angle.

Do not use the Filter and use the sun hood. This can happen with any lens. When it happens move the camera a little bit.

When you look at the sensor you see similar colored effects.

21 minutes ago, newtoleica said:

Apologies, not meaning to irritate. A rainbow flare must be coming off something point reflective in order to cause the diffraction effect rather than a diffuse flare. it's very sharp. Is there anything reflective on the edge of the filter like a small ding? Do you get the effect with the filter off? I have a 35 summilux ASPH v1 and a 24 Summilux and don't see this with either (or the 50 APO).

Sorry for snapping back :) . The filter was brand new, so I doubt that’s it. I’ll try some shots without next time. 

10 minutes ago, TeleElmar135mm said:

There are some examples in the net, that under certain conditions the sensor (not only Leica sensors) shows reflection when the sun comes in the "right" angle.

Do not use the Filter and use the sun hood. This can happen with any lens. When it happens move the camera a little bit.

When you look at the sensor you see similar colored effects.

This is all film, so no sensor reflections. I actually traded in my last Leica digital body for this lens and went back to 100% film. 

Hello, I owned the 28 Summicron, mostly used without the great ugly plastic hood. I found it very good at backlight and never had this rainbow effect. 
Maybe that helps a little further. How the actually 28 Summicron works, i don´t know.

5 hours ago, blackdot said:

I hope it wasn't a 28mm Summicron, because I want one :)

I own the 28 Summicron ASPH v.1 in addition to the 35 Summicron ASPH v.1. I don’t experience rainbow flare with either, at least nothing typical that I recall.  But I always use a hood, and never use a filter except colored ones for my Monochroms (or formerly film). Care and common sense with both. 

As discussed in my linked thread, the Summarits would be a better choice if flare alone is your concern, and you continue to use a filter but no hood.

Jeff