M11-P freezes too

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, setuporg said:

I got mine with 1.7.0, the date on the certificate was July 30, 2023.  So one could choose not to upgrade.

The only thing that now bothers me is the magenta on night lights.  WTF?!:)

I'm glad to hear it. Now I'm really confused why they even released version 2.0.1. I assumed it was needed for the M11-P, but sounds like they could have not released this version and worked out all the bugs first. I'm talking via email with customer care and I sent them the three forum links: FOTOS crash, red framelines bug/feature, and corrupt DNGs. Hopefully they put out another firmware update soon. The red lines are bugging me too. Cool feature, but I'd rather it stay off.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2023 at 11:38 AM, Crem said:

I got a reply from customer care. Sounds like they weren’t aware of the three bugs I reported. I sent links to the forum threads and asked to have them forwarded to the engineers. 

Whoever is doing the beta testing for the M11 series for Leica should be executed by firing squad. Nicely, of course.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 3

On 11/8/2023 at 2:49 PM, bilbrown said:

Been having this issue.

First it was my card. Now I am not using a card.

I reset the camera. 

today it stayed solid until I noticed the Wi-Fi icon was on while it had issues writing an image. Did not realize that it kept FOTOS on all the time.

i have a shoot tonight, I am brining an M10-M as back-up and my SL2-S. I want to use the M11-P, bur if it freezes Ira going back in the bag and maybe back to the store tomorrow. 

Two weeks of this may be enough for me to look for an M10-R replacement (I handed over my M10-R to get this, and my Q2M). 

UPDATE:

Alright, I figured it out. Shoot last night was ZERO issues, and I got every shot I tried with no problem and no random writing errors..

- Brand new SD card is Sandisk Pro UHS-II 300mb (250mb write)

- For my fast shooting S or M DNG+JPG, SD card first, for anything else full res L DNG+JPG will get about 3fps shooting.

- I shoot single shot mode, but have been told low multiple shot mode is fine. I just only need one shot.

- I've turned off sleep, I can turn the camera off and on myself. The only problem is, you have to REMEMBER to turn off camera. I didn't, left and the battery was drained. ** PLUS is the battery charges FAST. (Some people pull the battery, so far I have not had to do this. I know I have to do this with my S and SL2. I honestly use my M as and EDC, so have not seen this as an issue yet. I turn it off and come back a few hours later and its still at 100%).

- IF FLASH (the majority of you will *cringe* but I do this, sue me) Using SF 40 or SF 60 flash, it will sync up to 1/4000th of a second (crazy)

- Mechanical shutter if using flash. Trust.

- Min Flash at 1/(4s) or 1/250 set if set to A

- GEOTAGGING OFF, this is important. FOTOS will talk to your camera evidently if GEOTAGGING is ON. Turn it off. I turned off FOTOS in camera while shooting just to be safe.

- Highlight weighted metering takes getting used to if you are a digital M shooter, but it is much more accurate. Reports I heard said it slowed down the camera. So far those seem to be inaccurate.

I did not have to use my M10-M back up during the shoot. I did shoot with my SL2-S (street/model/night), but mostly with my M11-P. 

Tonight I feel so comfortable, I am shooting an underground club until 6AM with the M11-P and only bringing it and maybe a back up.

If I find issues tonight I will update. But now I feel comfortable.

Edited by bilbrown
clarity

Am 9.11.2023 um 16:05 schrieb setuporg:

You’ll enjoy it!

Spent the weekend figuring out the menu options and how everything works. When taking shots, it feels almost like my M7  (apart from being able to instantaneously check the results). Very fine camera so far, and the Visoflex works great, too. There was quick operation manual in the package, but no real full blown manual. Is that still available, and if so, where?

When checking the firmware status, I noted it says "1.7.0" just like yours, despite the fact that my camera was produced only a month ago, on October 13th, 2023. Did you upgrade to 2.0.1 yet?

Oh, and one more thing. I seem to remember having read that the color of the brightlines in the finder may be changed from white to red, but despite all my efforts I could not find any place in the menu where such a selection can be made.

Edited by wizard
addition of text
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here we go again, so far 46 posts of which 3 are actually reporting a freeze!

My M11P has been fine so far but as ever I do understand that a very small minority will of course have issues, I do feel we're beginning to inflict self harm here and not actually helping Leica. I did suggest in another thread that the mods move over to a policy whereby you can report something like a freeze in the 'M11 Freezing' thread only at the time it happens (and maybe you have to give your serial number) and then we have another thread for 'discussing M11 freezing issues'.

This would make it way easier to see the extent of any issue and would help Leica also, it just seems completely out of hand now - just take a look at the 'M11 Freezing' thread and the continuous reposts and posts about others alleged freezing, it just turned into hysteria!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wizard said:

Did you upgrade to 2.0.1 yet?

Upgraded at once.  Works fine.  Make sure you have the latest FOTOS to work with CAI.  The frame lines should be white, I think going red was a bug.  Happened once to me when the camera was freezing due to the CAI+FOTOS bug.  Better dead than red!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, setuporg said:

Well, I waited for the P in the hope it fixes the freezes, that I’ve only read about, and now, on the second day of using it, it’s freezing every second time.  Right after I connected FOTOS.  Pretty sure it’s the culprit.  Also get the flickering red tint in the frame lines.  Probably going back…. Firmware 2.0.1.  This is utterly ridiculous.   Sony users would not stand for it.   It’s an obvious recall.  How did you guys put up with it for a year and a half?  Instead of a spreadsheet y’all should have signed a petition, hinting at collective action. 

Another change I’ve done since yesterday is to switch to DNG+JPG and set JPG to High HDR.

My original FOTOS setup was botched so I only connected today for sure.  So that’s another variable.

Overall it’s idiotic for customers to do all of that testing.  Leica must repair and replace all freezes for free, refund freezing cameras when asked, and generally rectify it properly.

Sad to read. Sorry. Can you tell me the SD card you are using, please?

On 11/9/2023 at 10:38 AM, setuporg said:

I got mine with 1.7.0, the date on the certificate was July 30, 2023.  So one could choose not to upgrade.

The only thing that now bothers me is the magenta on night lights.  WTF?!:)

If it persists then try tungsten or whatever lighting you are around. But are you using AWB?

I heard some years ago and I'm sure it still persists where Leica hired young kids to translate from German to English for their manuals and as such that's why I am astounded with the English used from time to time in the manuals.

I surely hope that Leica does not use some IT students to develop and test their FW for cameras. At over $9k now this lack of finalized testing with FW updates is not only putting them in bad light, but also reduces customer purchases. To me I was surprised when the M11M came out so rapidly after the M11 was introduced and I saw many US stores had M11xx in stock quite rapidly after introduction versus a one year wait at least in earlier M models.

With any sales hesitations, Leica probably attributed to new design, no bottom plate, sensor readout etc from hard core M users, but I just wonder if those on the fence said let me keep my M10R until the jury is out.

Well, the jury is out with the M11P and the verdict is no improvement in freezing behavior whatsoever. 

Common Leica get with it and hire better IT and FW developers. Sure FW bugs seem to be common place these days, but other camera manufacturers products I use do NOT have these persistent and irritating bugs that Leica cannot fix in over a year now. Worse yet, no official admittance of issues to us, their main customer base.

Edited by algrove

vor 17 Minuten schrieb James1975:

and then today (using the visoflex for the first time), two freezes within 10 minutes.

I have used my M11P with the visoflex, so far without any issues at all. I did, however, switch off all those wireless functions (set it into flight mode), thus preventing any background communication with the FOTOS app (which I believe is the culprit for most of those freezing issues).

Edited by wizard

On 11/13/2023 at 12:08 PM, SJH said:

Here we go again, so far 46 posts of which 3 are actually reporting a freeze!

My M11P has been fine so far but as ever I do understand that a very small minority will of course have issues, I do feel we're beginning to inflict self harm here and not actually helping Leica. I did suggest in another thread that the mods move over to a policy whereby you can report something like a freeze in the 'M11 Freezing' thread only at the time it happens (and maybe you have to give your serial number) and then we have another thread for 'discussing M11 freezing issues'.

This would make it way easier to see the extent of any issue and would help Leica also, it just seems completely out of hand now - just take a look at the 'M11 Freezing' thread and the continuous reposts and posts about others alleged freezing, it just turned into hysteria!!

There seem to be fairly frequent  threads along the lines of “I’m thinking of buying an M11 (/M/P)…” or “Would you buy one again?”  Are you saying that those experiencing freezes should be censored from replying to them if they have once flagged the freezing on the forum?  For example, I would reply “I have enjoyed both M11 and M11M up to the new firmware, where freezes on average every 40-50 frames have comprised the experience and undermined my confidence in Leica software engineering. I don’t know how prevalent these problems are but would advise caution if these things matter to you.” Perhaps only those replying “yes I would definitely buy the M11” should be permitted to post (some bots could be deployed to generate them if the general view is insufficiently positive).

I have been using Ms for over 25 years but am relatively new to the forum.   On other topics, some folks seem to repeat views where relevant on numerous threads. Presumably that would remain OK so long as they are not referring to the M11 unreliability? 

I had one freeze at the very beginning of my shoot the other day, and that was debatable the red light on the back of the camera near the wheel came on and no LCD, after disengaging with FOTOS and with a new card (SD > IN). I popped the battery and replaced and it was fine. I used flash but then my battery was shite so I can't attest to that. The metering works differently with TTL, so I do not think metering is an issue. The photos were clear and usable and out of about 200 photos at L 60MP there were no corrupt DNG. 

Before that card came in the post, I only used IN memory and it seemed to only freeze when talking to FOTOS. This has GOT to be it.

I feel like I am getting someplace. Narrowed it down.

Do we have a ticket open with Leica?

vor 4 Minuten schrieb bilbrown:

... and it seemed to only freeze when talking to FOTOS. This has GOT to be it.

+1. Those are my thoughts, too. For the time being, switch off FOTOS and you're good.

vor 31 Minuten schrieb londond:

... so long as they are not referring to the M11 unreliability? 

That's exactly the point. The M11 is not "unreliable", it has an issue with the FOTOS app. Turn off communication with the FOTOS app until Leica has fixed that bug and you will have a perfectly reliable camera. Modern cameras are computers, and computers tend to have those kind of issues. People accept that with computers, but go bananas when it happens to their camera. As long as I know how to eliminate an issue, I am fine and stop bothering.

• Thanks 1