M11-P freezes too

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, charlesphoto99 said:

So what exactly is it about the M11-P that is going to make your photos so much better?

Better is such a subjective word.
What I can attest to though is that from 9 to 240, I gained more usable ISOs, a Portra like color palette, and a chance to dabble in video. From 240 to 10 I picked up a clean 3200 ISO, a return to a Kodachrome like color palette, and an ability to correct perspective in camera. From 10 to 11, I picked up a clean ISO 6400, an ability to explore subject separation by shooting my ‘luxes wide open in broad daylight since I don’t use ND filters, and very malleable files with regards to color and density. 
Now do any of these advancements make me a better photographer? I don’t know. But I do know that each generation has made me a more capable photographer. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yeah after tuning off FOTOS all is good.  Using IN for now.  Lost about 10 shots out of 60 when crashing connected to FOTOS, restored most using PhotoRec from the card.  Will wait to connect again when the firmware is updated.  Overall a great experience, stapling away!   I’ll miss the mechanical shutter when M12 will go all electronic.  How’s our chance to do the mechanics while we can!

• Like 1

Been having this issue.

First it was my card. Now I am not using a card.

I reset the camera. 

today it stayed solid until I noticed the Wi-Fi icon was on while it had issues writing an image. Did not realize that it kept FOTOS on all the time.

i have a shoot tonight, I am brining an M10-M as back-up and my SL2-S. I want to use the M11-P, bur if it freezes Ira going back in the bag and maybe back to the store tomorrow. 

Two weeks of this may be enough for me to look for an M10-R replacement (I handed over my M10-R to get this, and my Q2M). 

With all the fiascos I've experienced with M11, this thread further reinforces my skepticism on Leica & Digital in general.

I'm seriously considering going only film with Leica, as I generally am in love with Leica film camera, and use digital only with other reputable brand like Sony, Canon, Nikon.

Perhaps another film body.. black paint MP... 

• Like 1

Summing up what has been said in this thread, it seems that not using the Leica FOTOS app, actually switching it off, and switching off WiFi will result in no freezes whatsoever. Which is fine for me, as I usually remove the memory card from the camera anyway when I want to transfer images to either my iPad or to my computer. So while not all is well, all should be good for me. Will pick up my M11P tomorrow afternoon.

Any further tips for a digital M novice?

• Like 3

It’s really unfortunate that the M11 series keeps having firmware problems. My assumption is the v2.0.1 firmware didn’t get much testing because they had to meet the M11-P launch date. I’ve emailed Leica customer support asking about an update. They need to get a new firmware out ASAP. I think there are three bugs in this version… fotos/wifi freeze, random red framelines, and random DNG corruption. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crem said:

It’s really unfortunate that the M11 series keeps having firmware problems. My assumption is the v2.0.1 firmware didn’t get much testing because they had to meet the M11-P launch date. I’ve emailed Leica customer support asking about an update. They need to get a new firmware out ASAP. I think there are three bugs in this version… fotos/wifi freeze, random red framelines, and random DNG corruption. 

I just don't understand why M11 people rush to upgrade to this 2.0.1

The only new features I can see from this firmware are CAI and closing shutter after lens being removed. Do you guys really need this thing? To me it's completely useless "new" features.

On the day of M11-P and firmware 2.0.1 came out, I said the exactly same thing: M11 people, do NOT upgrade, I am sure it will have bugs.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, wizard said:

Summing up what has been said in this thread, it seems that not using the Leica FOTOS app, actually switching it off, and switching off WiFi will result in no freezes whatsoever. Which is fine for me, as I usually remove the memory card from the camera anyway when I want to transfer images to either my iPad or to my computer. So while not all is well, all should be good for me. Will pick up my M11P tomorrow afternoon.

Any further tips for a digital M novice?

I’ve updated FOTOS last night and debit connected for a bit, no freezes.  Used IN (internal memory).  You ingest from internal by connecting USB-C cable, or Thunderbolt.  That always worked fine for me so no worries there.  You’ll enjoy it!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Warton said:

I just don't understand why M11 people rush to upgrade to this 2.0.1

The only new features I can see from this firmware are CAI and closing shutter after lens being removed. Do you guys really need this thing? To me it's completely useless "new" features.

On the day of M11-P and firmware 2.0.1 came out, I said the exactly same thing: M11 people, do NOT upgrade, I am sure it will have bugs.

In the case of M11-P owners they get it by default and can’t downgrade. Leica is responsible for testing firmware, not customers. Clearly they didn’t do much testing this time. If it isn’t ready then they shouldn’t have made it publicly available. 

2 minutes ago, Crem said:

In the case of M11-P owners they get it by default and can’t downgrade. Leica is responsible for testing firmware, not customers. Clearly they didn’t do much testing this time. If it isn’t ready then they shouldn’t have made it publicly available. 

Mine came with 1.7.0...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Edax said:

Mine came with 1.7.0...

Oh that’s good to know. I wish I could downgrade my M11. I’ve gotten in the habit of reformatting my card after every time I put it in my computer since I get random corrupt DNGs on 2.0.1.

18 minutes ago, Crem said:

I got mine with 1.7.0, the date on the certificate was July 30, 2023.  So one could choose not to upgrade.

The only thing that now bothers me is the magenta on night lights.  WTF?!:)

Edited by setuporg