Sign in to follow this  
marknorton

How to Re-Cover your M8 yourself

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was inspired by Mark's original post to take a crack at changing the skin on my M8. It turned out to be easier than I expected, and the Griptac makes a big difference in the handling of the camera. One question though, when I stripped off the old skin, I found a hand-written number "2" on the front of the body. Anybody have any idea what that might mean?

Bill

I wonder if the '2' could refer to 'Q2? ie a camera that has been through final quality control for a second time, probably after being returned to Leica by a dealer for rectification work.

Steve

That's how rumors get started. Why would someone write a 2 under the covering? That's about the lamest explanation possible!

I wonder if the '2' could refer to 'Q2? ie a camera that has been through final quality control for a second time, probably after being returned to Leica by a dealer for rectification work.

Steve

If that's the case, then mine would have been through 6 times.

I would think that a batch number would be a more likely explanation, or possibly a checking process ID or something similar.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I covered my chrome M8 in slate blue but it was so dark as to be almost black, so I may give it another try.

Mark,

The demo was cool, but I have to say, I thought the Grey on the Black M8 was not very attractive.

Glad you are here to show us such things

DBK

Hi guys,

looks great and I am amazed with how much "love" you treat your M8s.

While I am not a fan of the original leather of the M8 I do know that I am not patient enough to replace it.(I am afraid I would mess up).

One thing after using Nikon alittle more just if you takr the M8 in the hand it gets abvious how pretty and clean design they are.

Cheers, Tom

Hi guys,

looks great and I am amazed with how much "love" you treat your M8s.

While I am not a fan of the original leather of the M8 I do know that I am not patient enough to replace it.(I am afraid I would mess up).

One thing after using Nikon alittle more just if you takr the M8 in the hand it gets abvious how pretty and clean design they are.

Cheers, Tom

Don't be afriad, It is very easy to take off the old and put on the new. I did it to both my M8's and they were the first M's I had ever done it to. I did get a tool to take the frame lever off but other have done it without taking that lever off. I figured the $10.00 for the tool was well worth it.

Guest rweisz

So nobody said, when you have to send the M8 back in for repair and Leica strips off the leather replacement cover, is there enough stickum left to restick it or will they just put an original cover on (and probably charge you) and either toss the leather one in the trash or send it back to you all stretched out?

My guess is they will replace your leather cover with a standard one; the leather tears quite easily when you remove it.

Well, it took a long time for me to decide to do this, even after buying two copies of the black Vulcanette C from cameraleather.com. I need to send the camera in for service at some point, but it takes nice enough photos, and I think I will now wait for the update, and maybe do everything in one go. Today I am at home ill, so I decided to do it.

It was a little tricky, and the fit isn't perfect everywhere (my fault; not the covering), but it is so close that you would really have to look closely to see it. Specifically, there is a little too much room around the bayonet, the bottom edge isn't 100% perfect everywhere, and there is a small rip next to the USB door where I had to back up a little and it gave way too quickly for me to react, but even that is barely visible, even when looking directly at it.

The feel is *much* nicer than the standard covering, and surprise, even feels better than the M6 covering I wanted to get closer to. I still find the M8 too large, preferring the size of the M6, but this helps a lot.

Here is a photo of the final result. What a beauty, and I look forward to handling it more.

[ATTACH]72204[/ATTACH]

Now that's what an M8 should look like!

After a few days with the Vulcanette C covering, I have to entirely agree with Cartsen: this covering does feel better than the old M6 covering. And I agree with Maggie that the silver M8 with black dot and Vulcanette is a stunning combination.

I want to recover my M8 handgrip so it matches the black vulcanite on my brand-new M9.

Does Leica sell vulcanite to recover the grip?

If not, which Camera Leather covering matches the M9 vucanite best.

Thanks,

el

Afaik Cameraleather sells a virtually identical material to Leica's Vulcanite.