How to Re-Cover your M8 yourself

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I feel ill :) I have ordered the Vulcanette C shown here: Cameraleather - Colors and materials

Send Morgan a email and change your order. Since he is not shipping covers for the M8 yet I don't think it will be a problem for him to change your order to the Griptac. If that is what you want.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, no, I love the Vulcanette C look. I was referring to the grey. Although it was only for demonstration purposes, it looks truly awful.

By the way, what do you mean he isn't shipping them yet? Mine are paid for already.

Yes you are right about the grey, GOD AWFUL.

To my knowledge he is not shipping until they appear, show up, on his website.

Read the PM I'm sending you.

I think the Vulcanette looks good, a little less extreme than the GripTac. I'm sure Carsten will post pictures in due course.

I've removed the grey GripTac and recovered the grip in the black kid leather which looks and feels great. I'm planning to re-cover the camera in the verdigris leather this week so I'll post pictures.

The Vulcanette C is the closest in look (on the demo page at least) to my M6, which is what I wanted. I like the soft, classic look.

By the way, having tuned my shutter release and been in Vienna for the last four days, I have to restate how happy I am with the new feel. I am sure that my shots are less shaken because of it. I don't miss the first stop at all (tuned the first stop completely away), but do have to look for the exposure lock light when doing panoramas and so on due to the softness of the second stop. Well worth it.

Yes you are right about the grey, GOD AWFUL.

Don't be shy, Ed, tell us what your really think about it! :D

I chose the grey for demonstration because it is unforgiving, you can see where the fit is not perfect because the black casting bleeds through.

I think some of even Leica's a la carte colours are a challenge. I saw a black MP with red leather last year and didn't like it.

Don't be shy, Ed, tell us what your really think about it! :D

I chose the grey for demonstration because it is unforgiving, you can see where the fit is not perfect because the black casting bleeds through.

I think some of even Leica's a la carte colours are a challenge. I saw a black MP with red leather last year and didn't like it.

Funny that's what my friends say to me, "Tell us what you really think".:D

I'm kind of transparent in my opinions. Can't you tell.

Mark-

Many thanks for this useful piece. If I ever want to go fancy, which I doubt, I'll order some beautiful leather from Morgan and try it myself. In the meanwhile, I'm thrilled with the Griptac experience--I just walk around and use the camera and notice nothing about my grip on it. It's the first time that it's resembled an M camera in the hand for me.

Good wishes,

Walt

Mark - I'm struggling to hold on to my M8, literally and metaphorically, so I don't know if I will ever go this route. But many thanks for this generous thread - another classic, but thankfully far less formidable than your 'anatomy' epic.

................ Chris

OK, the grey GripTac did not exactly float your collective boats, so here's the camera dressed in verdigris kid skin with a Version IV pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron. Morgan let me have a few samples to try and this is second quality - note the flaw to the left of the lens button. If anything, the leather is easier to apply than the GripTac was.

See what you think...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great job although I’ll let Morton do the task on my sliver M8. In fact, I opted for the black/charcoal Griptac, despite its obvious industrial appearance. The very first thing I noticed on the M8 was its dense weight and slippery surface. I wanted a sheik covering to adorn my prize, although ergonomics became a higher priority.

Remarks,:rolleyes:

... If anything, the leather is easier to apply than the GripTac was.

Mark,

Do you think that this may be partly because you'd already done the grey Griptac or is the leather more pliant for instance?

(Looks like an M8 in a posh frock. :D )

Pete.

The leather is actually stiffer, it's more like applying card to the camera where the GripTac is a bit "floppy" by comparison.

The green is more subdued in natural light than the pictures (taken with a 4 macro flashes pointing at it) indicate. Also having a problem keeping my D2x sensor clean at the moment...

Black (and final) kid leather tomorrow...

Thank you Mark for your excellent manual. It was much appreciated.

My M8 now has a black griptac cover and it really feels surprisingly much safer to hold.

I think it looks better too :).

I had some difficulty removing the old glue and resorted to applying small amounts of a gel glue remover to a lens cloth and rubbing with that, doing only the final wipe with pec-pads and alcohol. I am happy to report that the camera still functions.