Vintage Leica Lenses on M11 with new Firmware

thomi1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Stef63:

True, but in most cases when using a lens with an adapter, you will rely on an EVF to focus (and compose).  With the shutter closed, that is challenging to say the least.

Well, I'd say that I never use EVF with adapted screw-mount lenses (perhaps with the exception of 135mm, which has an adapter to cover the 6-bit-code sensor). Other adapters, e.g. the R-to-M, don't cause the issue as they fully cover the critical space.

Though I don't think it's a good idea from Leica's side to use lens detection for so many functionalities now. It was more ore less useful for lens correction, less so with modern digital models than with the M8 or M9. Now it seems to be used for mechanical devices like the shutter as well. I get the impression this causes more problems than it supports any necessary functions and it restricts the usage of older lenses, which would certainly put me off using an M11.

On 10/28/2023 at 3:29 AM, thomi1 said:

I use vintage Leica lenses with original Leica adapters on my Leica M11 and M11 monochrome. With the new firmware, the camera shutter no longer opens when I use a lens with the screw to M adapter.  It also does not help when I use the manual lens profile.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I'm 99% sure the LTM that you're using has a cut out for lenses with infinity lock, which, is fooling the camera into thinking no lens is attached and keeping the shutter closed.

As an experiment try taping the area around the light sensor once you have the lens and adapter mounted to see if that helps.

Am 28.10.2023 um 22:49 schrieb setuporg:

100% this will be configurable in 2.1.0:)

Not so sure about this: When the M240 was new, you couldn't use LiveView with an adapter which didn't cover the sensor for 6-bit-codes.

They solved this with a new firmware, so you could use LiveView with lens detection switched off.

Now they use lens detection for several other functions. Even if you switch it off, it is never really off. So there is a constant conflict between these functions and the fact that lens detection "thinks" there is no lens attached and accordingly does not serve these functions.  

• Like 1

Indeed, the fact that lens detection is off does not mean that no lens is attached to the camera. In most cases, a lens is attached but is not recognised by the camera for lack of 6-bit coding or whatever reason. In such cases, the shutter doesn't close so LV can be used and photos can be taken. The only problem is when a lens is attached but the camera believes there is none. Happened to me once with a Rayqual LTM to M adapter. It has no cutouts but it is black with no 6-bit coding. In such a case, it should be possible to select a lens profile manually but firmware 2.0.1 does not take this choice into account and refuses to open the shutter. Bad move, or lack thereof, from Leica.

On 10/30/2023 at 4:11 PM, lct said:

Indeed, the fact that lens detection is off does not mean that no lens is attached to the camera. In most cases, a lens is attached but is not recognised by the camera for lack of 6-bit coding or whatever reason. In such cases, the shutter doesn't close so LV can be used and photos can be taken. The only problem is when a lens is attached but the camera believes there is none. Happened to me once with a Rayqual LTM to M adapter. It has no cutouts but it is black with no 6-bit coding. In such a case, it should be possible to select a lens profile manually but firmware 2.0.1 does not take this choice into account and refuses to open the shutter. Bad move, or lack thereof, from Leica.

Wow, this is a very bad oversight if that's what the new FW now does.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2023 at 9:29 AM, thomi1 said:

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

My better fix is to use a coded LTM to M adapter. In such a case, the lens is seen as hand coded and is recognized by the camera which applies the correspoding lens profile automatically.  Otherwise i use a silver uncoded adapter with no cutouts in the way of the coding area. The camera displays then "Uncoded" and allows to select a lens profile manually. Beware that some black uncoded adapters may cause the camera to display "No Lens" instead and the shutter doesn't open accordingly.

Edited by lct