Rangefinder stopped working, need advice

NZDavid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was using the 35 Summicron when first the rangefinder patch stopped moving at close distances, then at all distances. Sometimes it seemed to "pop" into place and move slightly. I then tested with other lenses and the rangefinder is definitely on the blink.

I don't think it's a fix I can do myself. The question is, how easy is it? I shall ask to see if a local pro repair shop do it, otherwise the NZ agent, Lacklands, can send it back to Wetzlar -- but from this side of the world, that is likely to take months and cost $$.

I've read this has happened to others; keen to hear your advice. 

Firstly, I would check to see whether the patch moves when pushing the cam inside the lens throat with your finger, or whether it is jammed at infinty. Secondly, see if gently pushing it and releasing it clears anything which might prevent it moving. And also see if it feels stiff orwhether the cam moves but not the rangefinder patch - if so there is something within the rangefinder mechnism jamming it. I would have thought that if it proves to be a problem which will not clear then, as it is a purely mechanical issue, any decent photo repairer should be able to sort it out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great advice, thanks Paul. The cam was jammed in the down position so a gentle push fixed it -- but only temporarily as it jammed again immediately afterwards. I'll contact the local repair shop as soon as it opens.

• Thanks 1

The fellow at the local place who fixed rangefinders is no longer there and another South Island repair shop can't do it either. But Greg at Photo & Video here in Christchurch said he can send it off to an Auckland repair shop who can fix it -- the camera is now out of warranty so no need for it to go back to Germany. I'm glad we still have at least a few local camera stores...

Seems the problem is fairly common:

Edited by NZDavid
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 4:10 AM, NZDavid said:

The fellow at the local place who fixed rangefinders is no longer there and another South Island repair shop can't do it either. But Greg at Photo & Video here in Christchurch said he can send it off to an Auckland repair shop who can fix it -- the camera is now out of warranty so no need for it to go back to Germany. I'm glad we still have at least a few local camera stores...

Seems the problem is fairly common:

Some was able DIY, hopefully you sort it out quickly

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just had this very same issue on an M262. I was able to fix it at home for, well, free. Took about 10 minutes or so for the actual procedure, or 2 hours including research and gathering tools and lubricant.  This thread provided details for the process. Much better than sending the camera off for weeks (or potentially longer …)