Guest guy_mancuso

Summarit Series 35,50,90 Ugly Test

Guest guy_mancuso

What is amazing a twenty year old lens looks like a new one . Wow hard pressed to see any real difference.

And the 90mm lenses

VERY INTERESTING, Guy... is always risky to judge on the posted jpgs, but, do you also have the feeling that colors are generally a little WARMER in the Summarits ? In the posted pictures I have this impression for all the three...

VERY INTERESTING, Guy... is always risky to judge on the posted jpgs, but, do you also have the feeling that colors are generally a little WARMER in the Summarits ? In the posted pictures I have this impression for all the three...

Hello Luigi, it seems to me that contrast is higher in the Summarits, and as well it looks like the Summarits are more conservative in exposure (as in, all being equal as I think Guy did in the test, the older lenses let more light in at the same f-stop). Both this effects bring IMHO to the impression that the Summarits are warmer and more saturated. I tried rising contrast with curves on the non-rits pics, lightened the rits a bit and got basically the same values in PSCS3. Very interesting indeed, I am waiting for Sean's result on contrast and such

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guy, Imatest has a nice routine for comparing carefully shot Gretag-Macbeth color checker shots to see just how far apart or close are the results of two different lenses, cameras, or raw file development protocols. I'll post without comment ('cause I haven't had time to read them and it's a really nice day today) the analysis in Lab color space of your 6 examples.

Oh, and would you mind shooting the bar codes on the back of each one? This would also let the curious see if the elements which differ from one lens to the next are at the rear or internal to each one. And Carsten needs some pictures to complete his tables.

Thanks for the data. I'll check it in more detail tonight.

scott

Guy,

the question..would you recommend anyone of these vs. the non- summarits, besides the

price difference?

Thanks to you and your lovely daughter for putting up with the test.

Very useful test, Guy. As I see it the 35 Summarit passes the ugly test with flying colors. In the 50mm lenses I prefer the 'lux overall, and with the 90mm lenses it's pretty much a toss-up. YMMV.

Guest guy_mancuso

Hi folks out of town until tomorrow and spotty Internet but I did shoot a sharpness test to load up but the summaries overall are worthy of the money.50 does not make much sense although good. The 35 is a performer and so is the 90. I will load that up soon. One thing I have noticed is holding the spectrum hightlights very well. Looks like leica was thinking digital with the design and performance.

Scot that looks pretty good . Will give values from back. From iphone

90 cron F5.6 than 90 sum at F5.6

Hello Guy,

This one really shows a huge difference! Just so I understand correctly, the top photo is the cron'? If so, this in sharp contrast to your previous comments regarding shadow detail of the Cron' vs. Sum’. The Sum’ appears to define the shadows much better in this case. Likewise, skin texture and tone is more natural. Based on these results, I can easily see that price vs. performance is out of scale of what I assumed. The Summarits are not a compromise at all.

Regards,

Guy, just looking at the numbers in the color-error charts, it looks like the summarits leave things a little more saturated, which may be a side effect of giving a quarter-stop more exposure than the crons. The plot that Norm Koren gives in Lab space assumes standard exposure. Since the space is three dimensional and we are seeing two-dimensional slices, if you want to compare two systems, their slices must be at the same height (luminance) in the space. But if the Summarits give you a little more light, that's what you will see.

Also, one color, #13, which I think is the out-of-gamut blue at the left end of the third row, is consistently rendered a bit better in the Summarits than in the Crons. Could that be Sean's "sunny-day effect" where the less contrasty Summarits fill in a little better than the Crons with some stray light?

scott

And the 90mm lenses

Maybe I'm missing the point here since the saturation of the Sum' is much higher than the Cron'. Sure, I rather prefer the current line of glass although the quality of the Sum' can't be ignored. My next (second) lens will be either the 50-Lux' or the 21-Elemarit

Regards,

Gosh, Guy, that's really interesting. I'm seriously considering a 35mm as my next lens (after the 50 lux and the 21 elmarit)...

More to say... Guy’s test is outstanding and has definitely cleared my mind of which lens to purchase next i.e. 50-Lux’ vs. 21-Elmarit. Since the 50 is now a bit of a toss up, I suppose I can now safely acquire the 21 as a solid no regret purchase.

Regards,

Guest guy_mancuso

Just walked in the door but Scot you hit the nail on the head. They do look to have more saturation but at the same time seem to give a little more DR and diffuses out the specular highlights a touch more. Now color , contrast and saturation seem to be dead even among the Summairts they all have the same look to them. I have a lot of processing to do this week and posting , plus i just shot a bunch of casual shots early in the morning the last few days and they really do pop off the screen in terms of color, contrast and saturation plus there bloody sharp to boot. Frankly when you hit 5.6 with any of them there all pretty darn equal in many ways. The lenses get shipped back tomorrow but I think i have enough material here to see what they can do. The MTF charts and some of that stuff does not interest me to much but seeing how they can render a image does. So hopefully you are seeing what they are made of. Honestly my bet is anyone buying one will be pretty darn happy with it. But i don't see folks like me with a 50 lux and 90 cron selling them for these either. i see these as more a less expensive way to get into Leica glass if you can handle the slower speed of them and also more important fill gaps in the lineup for folks and travel. I may just get the 75mm even though I did not try it but it will fill the 75 lux spot on travel tha one is a big swing in weight. I will have the sharpness test up Monday for everyone and post that test on both sites as well. Hopefully folks will just get a nice picture of what they are and with Seans tests and impressions fills in that puzzle we always talk about. Never go by one test but several and folks impressions and that gives you a good idea what you are getting. But for the money it is a thumbs up so far

Guest guy_mancuso
More to say... Guy’s test is outstanding and has definitely cleared my mind of which lens to purchase next i.e. 50-Lux’ vs. 21-Elmarit. Since the 50 is now a bit of a toss up, I suppose I can now safely acquire the 21 as a solid no regret purchase.

Regards,

Thanks Daniel . i like the Ugly test because it is what we face daily and how does a lens handle this nasty situation and what it does NOT handle more importantly. Let's face it there all good in great light to some degree but this stuff is really taxing a lens and that is what I want to know.

Guest guy_mancuso

Oh the 21mm Elmarit is the brother of the 28 cron and they render very similar. i have it love it and it stays in the bag for use all the time. Great lens

Guest guy_mancuso

One from the 35mm summarit , still have a lot of processing but here is a quicky . Very early morning 24 degrees. No issues at all with the cold, me yes , camera no.

Guest guy_mancuso

Top one was default in LR this a little work too it to open it up some.