Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

Thanks John , I admit a lot of work and looking back in here at the images you really have to tip your hat to Leica . These lenses perform extremely well for there cost. We will see how other test show them off but this is a brutal test for a lens. Not something I enjoy shooting in real world. BTW shot around 4 pm so sun still up there

Clearly your daughter does love the Summilux 75...:) ... the only real smile...

Apart this, what impressed me is the big difference in skin rendition with the 90s : did you use the same RAW development settings ? It's rather impressive: the Cron is much more warm in tone... could even seem a difference in exposure (or real f stop...), but the rest of the pic does show that the global exposure is the same in both.

And the difference in skin is noticeable also in the other lenses... less evident for the different dimensions of the face... I hope to see other examples of portraits... Summarits seem to be good in sharpness and OOF, but from the posted pics I would say that the skin rendition is surely better on the other "side to side" lenses...

Many thanks for this, Guy. This is very helpful. It's remarkable that, minor differences aside, Leica appears to have managed to hold most of the image qualities of their storied line-up of glass in the new Summarits. The decision point on the 75 hole in my inventory just got a little harder.

And hats off to Cali. What a lovely lass. I'd encourage you to draft her once again for the "pretty" series of shots, in softer light.

Guest guy_mancuso

Morning folks yes the one thing that is pretty evident right off the bat is that there very good. Yes there is some subtle differences .Yes i did use the same processing throughout. I still think the Guy lenses are better but these really do give them a run and that is what impresses me so far. My only real issue is focusing the 90 summarit , the lenses they gave me are brand new out of the box and the 90 is stiff to focus as a learned shooting the golf the other day it can bounce on you out of focus. Lens really just needs to broken in with focusing. So we may hear new lens users saying this but the buttom line on long lenses is they just need to wear in so that focus is smooth.

Now there certainly Leica feel and built like the more expensive lenses too. If know one appreciates the way leica builds there lenses than they just don't know better. The feel and heft of them is better than anyone. The Summarits are right there with that real lens feeling. I know most of you know exactly what i am saying. There is meat there

Yes the 90 cron does seem to be a touch warmer also. I'm looking at my site on those and with the darker back ground it maybe more obvious . If you want to look here is the link Summarit Series 35,50,90 Ugly Test - Page 2 - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

The area i am watching is the specular highlights and the new summarits seem to be a touch better here in handling it smoother mostly in the 35 and 50 and the 90 the Cron seems a little better. Very important for a Portrait shooter

The other area i see big difference is the Bokeh on the 35mm the Version IV lens is really different at 2, 2.5,2.8. Than it kind of equals the Summarrits in look at F4

I know Sean is also running a whole series of comparisons also and what i believe you will see bigger differences in his tests compared to Zeiss and CV glass. My tests are from the same family of Leica so the differences seem to me more subtle and his may vary greatly in look and feel. Honestly I was expecting a bigger difference

I know i always say whatever test you see just record it as another piece of the total puzzle before laying your money down. I think real questions will come to mind when you put your hand in your pocket and try to decide what F stop you can afford for one and what you are willing to pay for that speed. I really think so far these Summarits were a good idea on Leica's part but now given what were are seeing pretty damn brilliant.

Lets see what further testing will bring. Now folks like me that are stocked pretty heavily maybe get one, folks starting in the M8 system than that is a different story and may get more than one. The 90 and 75 are my personal watch lenses. Hopefully i can get my hands on a 75 soon. They were a little back ordered from what i hear

Guest guy_mancuso

One other little known thing is my 35 cron version IV is a pre-asph lens and maybe 20 years old. Nice the new design looks very similar to it. BTW my 35 cron just came back from NJ with coding and the grease replaced after probably sitting around the focusing got a little stiff so Leica fixed that very nicely for me

Guest guy_mancuso
Fantastic series of test shots, though hardly ugly...

I find these tests much more useful than line charts or newspapers.

I'm most impressed that the similarities far outweigh minor differences.

Thanks again!

Phil i think that is over feeling the similarities far outweigh minor differences and really comes down to a cost and speed issue. For us end user this is wonderful.

Phil i think that is over feeling the similarities far outweigh minor differences and really comes down to a cost and speed issue. For us end user this is wonderful.

Guy I appreciate all the work you and others are putting into testing these new lenses and to me they look like true Leica lenses.

But I hope I NEVER buy any of them. Lord PLEASE stop MY Leica GAS MADNESS!!!!!!

Guest guy_mancuso

Same here ED , hoping Leica just forgets i have them. LOL

They do make you reach for the wallet AGAIN.

Seems like we work for taxes 33 percent

for us 48 percent

and that 19 percent for Leica.

Geez anyone have a burger so i can eat. LOL

Not that I'm interested in either of the 35's, but in my mind the bokeh of the Summarit is not only different, but 'better.' I know thats a subjective thing, but...

The 50 looks like a fantastic buy. Small, sharp, and plenty of ability to throw a background out of focus. Course you might be a bit limited by the f-stop in low light, but looks like a good buy. But I already have a last version Summicron that I got for $550.

For me, it comes down to 2 lenses, the 75 and the 90. They both look good enough, I just need to find out what focal length I like more and what matches up better with a 35/50 setup. Probably the 90, though I do like the 75's framelines a bit more in my M6 and the idea that it is a touch smaller is nice too. Though the 90 is pretty small.

Thanks for doing these tests! To be honest, all the lenses look really good. It's nice to live in a day way even the worst lenses are great performers.

Guest guy_mancuso

The Cron version IV is s different lens from the normal new Cron Asph and does have a different bokeh. It has been tagged as the bokeh king, it reminds me a little of the Noctilux. Different for sure

The Cron version IV is s different lens from the normal new Cron Asph and does have a different bokeh. It has been tagged as the bokeh king, it reminds me a little of the Noctilux. Different for sure

Good work on the tests! Real life testing is so much more useful that graphs and charts. I was wondering about the bokeh on the 35's - I like the effect of the Cron at f2. How does the Asph compare? is it more like the Summarit?

Guy - nicely done. And thank you to your daughter. Here's an overall impression of what you have just shown us: the Summarits are true Leica lenses, and at their price, very good values. They will serve Leica well as companion purchases to M8s, and serve a new generation of Leica photographers. I'm impressed. JB

Guest guy_mancuso

Not wanting to sound like a fan boy and most of you know i am pretty direct but I agree pretty darn impressed myself. Was not expecting this and i am one picky guy when it comes to glass.

Guest guy_mancuso
Good work on the tests! Real life testing is so much more useful that graphs and charts. I was wondering about the bokeh on the 35's - I like the effect of the Cron at f2. How does the Asph compare? is it more like the Summarit?

Thanks James i like to shoot that is really my job, so tests like this make more sense to me even though the heavy tech part is important . I tend to go by what I see in real world . I wish i had the Cron Asph on this one but I would tend to say yes more like the Summarit look.

You know it may really come down to what you want to spend and how much speed do you really need . For some we are speed freaks, Guilty. For others doing general outdoor work , well these will really be useful there and save you thousands on a system wide basis. These are going to sell by the ton , I can tell already