The Quiet M8 Alternative

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was really struck this evening using my Epson R-D1 for a change - this time with a 35mm Summilux - how very much quieter it is than an M8. I used to think the "ping" of the R-D1 was obtrusive but there's nothing like months of working with another camera to recalibrate your opinion.

Not the same image quality of course, but far from shabby and good high ISO performance. I can see me using it some more in future, ideally paired with my second Tri-Elmar which of course matches the available frame lines.

Worth buying if you see one secondhand, IMHO.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sold my R-D1 after getting the M8, but I'm getting another Epson this week. The M8 is a better camera IQ wise, but my M8 is in Jersey being fixed, the R-D1 still takes beautiful pictures, and there's something really satisfying and fun about using it. It's just a well designed, user-friendly camera. I'll be happy to have both.

Curt

Can I put in another plug for the Ricoh GX100 as a pocketable alternative for those M8-in-Solms moments? It's a really good little backup camera if, for whatever reason, you're not after another rangefinder body. Keep the ISO to 400 and below, but 24mm f2.5 lens...!

You need to remember to wind on though. On more than one occasion last night, press... nothing.

Happily, not a habit that needs much reinforcing after 35 years! :D

We could make comments about build quality...but I have had my M bodies go Tango Uniform quite a few times, several times when there really was not excuse. The extra framelines in the M8 would be nice, but the Epson does get along quite well, and at about 25% of the price of an M8 (Epson refurb, $1400 with 1 year warranty), it's hard to knock the R-D1. (No jokes, please... ;) )

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was originally thinking about getting an R-D1s, because I didn't think I could afford the M8. But my wife pointed out my tendency to "settle" for one thing, and then turn around and get what I really wanted in the first place. So in the long run, it was cheaper to get the M8 to start with. The problem is, I still want an R-D1s!

Bill

The RD1 and the TriElmar are a perfect match - and one of the things I like about it is the feel of a pre-digital camera. Have had a few comments from people saying "it is nice to see a film camera". Why should I burst their baloons?

Harris

Ffordes posted a used Tri Elmar on their web site last night (21/11/07).They have just got it in,if anyone is interested.They are becoming rare.

Brian

It's mine; the frameline switching has been checked by Leica UK.

There's a lot to like about the RD1. Its a shame that Leica and Epson couldn't have got together - a DRF with Leica build quality and the RD1s ergonomics would have been wonderful. As it is I had an excuse to buy two cameras :)

This thread seems to be a constructive alternative to the thread snarkily comparing Leica's performance in delivering firmware fixes for the M8's to Ricoh's forthcoming attitude to keeping their GR-D purchasers happy. That thread got closed because the only responses were from people saying, " Ricoh's not a Leica, so make this go away!"

Actually, I think the thread had a good point to make. Ricoh introduced the GR-D two years ago, aiming at customers with many of the same desires that animate the M8 base. There were immediate complaints that their (excellent) prime lens was too wide, and that RAW processing speed and lockout made it basically a JPEG camera. All true, but I have one and use it daily, especially because it takes great benchtop macros. Over the next two years, Ricoh provided about a dozen firmware enhancements which have greatly improved its autofocus speed and accuracy, added various simple functions, and rationalized the user interface a bit. A year later, they brought out the GX-100, with a zoom lens, and they have now announced a GR-DII with 10 Mpx, a larger raw file buffer (but it still takes 3-4 sec to clear the buffer, I understand), and no raw file shooting lockout. Plus a new "telephoto" add-on lens to make an effective 40mm available -- exactly what Sean Reid and Mitch Alland were asking for. Their latest firmware release makes most of this available to the owners of the first generation GR-D, including the 40mm add-on lens.

The GR-D serves a fairly small market, so this is an excellent example of serving a sophisticated customer set, and should be held up to Leica.

scott

I also have a grd - a dream would be a grd-like camera with a larger sensor, a digital Leica CM, a small, fast camera with a fast prime in the 28-35mm range and a large sensor. I betit would sell very very good and dont know why knowbody offers it. (And sigma takes forever + its only f4.0)

cheers, Tom

I also have a grd - a dream would be a grd-like camera with a larger sensor, .....

Actually, I am rather fond of the extreme depth of field that comes with the Ricoh's 6 mm focal length, and wouldn't want to give it up. And I'm not excited about a 40mm-eff telephoto, so I'll stay with my first generation GR-D for now.

Now the new Olympus E-3, on which all my nice old E-1 Zuiko-ED lenses fit just fine, that's intriguing. I'm evaluating one now. First point of comparison is the Zuiko 50/2 macro against the Summicron 75/2 apo-asph, which also is a pretty good macro. Both very good lenses. So far, in extreme backlighting (like Sean Reid's chromatic aberration tests), the Summicron wins by a small margin.

scott

Actually, I am rather fond of the extreme depth of field that comes with the Ricoh's 6 mm focal length, and wouldn't want to give it up. And I'm not excited about a 40mm-eff telephoto, so I'll stay with my first generation GR-D for now.

scott

I agree that the large dof can be an advantage. Just dont like the limited DR/highlight clipping.