M8 with Canon 50mm f/0.95

johnastovall

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have my Canon 50mm f/0.95 now converted to an M-mount and calibrated. Here it is on the M8 and a sample at f/0.95 at IS0165 1/6000 in the shade. I've order a72mm B+W IR cut filter but it won't be here until after Christmas. Can't use the slim B&H has in stock as I have to thread a hood into it. Plan to get a B+W 72mm telephoto hood and machine it down for the 50mm FOV. It's my poorman's Nocti...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some of the most atrocious bokeh I have ever seen – look at those double contours! I persist in my evaluation: the world's most expensive ashtray.

The old man from the Age of the Canon P

I see it rather like Renoir's brush work in "Luncheon at the Boating Party" or Monet's "Garden Path at Giverny."

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have my Canon 50mm f/0.95 ... Here it is on the M8 and a sample at f/0.95 ... I have to thread a hood into it. Plan to get a B+W 72mm telephoto hood and machine it down for the 50mm FOV. It's my poorman's Nocti...

Yikes John, I've got one. I'd be checking if the rangfinder focusing patch will return any feedback at close focusing with any more stuff sticking out the front... i.e. the hood.

Robert

50mm f/0.95 from the days when cokes AND lenses were made of glass :rolleyes:

I think the term 'painterly' comes to mind. I'm not sure I'd want it for every shot but it definitely has a distinctive 'look'. The example shows it certainly creates a very interesting image and I'd agree with John's description of Monet or Renoir impressionist rendering. There's lot's of creative opportunity with this lens.

I think the image is lovely!

Where could I possibly find one of these lenses? And how much $$$? Do you have it rangefinder coupled?

Various dealers have them from time to time and they are on eBay. I paid about 1300 for the lens and spent another 500 having it converted to an M-mount and calibration work done to it.

It is very much rangefinder coupled and has a very long throw. It will tax your focusing skill due to the very shallow DOF. I'm thinking about getting 1.23 viewfinder...

Here's my shots with this lens, and what i nice lens it is.... :-)

I like this lens even better than the noctilux, because it has much more charater...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

John

that looks excellent...great to see a lens with such a unique character..the image you posted is so dreamy.....excellent.

One went on ebay in Germany today and there is another going together with a Canon 7 for some extortionate amount of money!

enjoy

andy

Alexander, Sandy's "Cornerfix" does a wicked job of devignetting this lens. Robert

Thanks Robert

But i actually like the lens like it is, the natural vignetting just adds to the lens character...

(at least that´'s what i think :-)