M8 with Canon 50mm f/0.95

johnastovall

Hmmm

I saw someone selling adaptors but they were just for wide angle and not rangefinder coupled

Hi

Some are coupled, more expensive, only necessary for post 60 lenses, (e.g. Olympic or Mellinium) during the 50s Nikon made LTM versions not that large a premium, over s mount Nikkors.

Noel

This isn't a lens to use if you're looking for sharp pictures. But used cleverly as it is in many of the pictures in this thread, it can be very effective. Reminds me of the bokeh of the Minolta 500/8 mirror. You're almost dipping into the world of Lomography. Or as we would have put it in the old days, pictorialism.

For a while I had a Canon 7 which had a special mount variant for this lens, but I was never tempted too much to spend the money for this lens. Clearly though when used by someone with talent, it can be made to do very well.

I just love the look of this lens, but as said above, it's limitations are not it's optical excellence, weight, bulk or rarity of a "good sample", but indeed the skill and creativity of it's user.

I am all into unusual Canon RF lenses at the moment, just having a rare Canon 85 1.8 LTM lens on the bench for collimation and intended use as a portrait lens.

The Canon 50 0.95 is still one of the few lenses very high on my wanted list!

No doubt this lens has to be learned. My own impression is that the Canon 50/0.95 is surprisingly sharp, wide-open, in the center of the frame (until about 1/3rd out) and then gets pleasingly soft. It's also imperative to get a good conversion. My TV 50/0.95 was converted by Ken Ruth, who did an excellent job.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/268574-2/cute2.jpg

F0.95 on Fuji Neopan 1600 at E.I. of 800. In Xtol.

Jim B.

This is one of my favorite threads.

Reading it again, years after it was started, reminds me of how it stimulated me to experiment with fast glass.

Some really beautiful examples of "dream lens" photography

Cheers

J