M8 with Canon 50mm f/0.95

johnastovall

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Alexander,

It is a very foggy country you live in. That must make it far less demanding on your glass. You save a lot of money there!

Yes, you should know, so i sold all my lenses and now only use Coke bottles with a Coke Bottle to M adapter, you should try is sometime, works great @ f/0.7....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Yes, you should know, so i sold all my lenses and now only use Coke bottles with a Coke Bottle to M adapter, you should try is sometime, works great @ f/0.7....

Now why did I never think of that? Beats ashtrays ... especially as I do not smoke.

On the other hand, I use Coke only for rust removal. Guess I'll have to make do with my crappy old Summilux ASPH.

The old man from the Age of Glass Beer Bottles

Here's my shots with this lens, and what i nice lens it is.... :-)

I like this lens even better than the noctilux, because it has much more charater...

Alexander, my compliments, your pictures are outstanding. Maybe it is the lens, but I'm sure that 80% of the merit at least goes to the photographer... ;)

Some of the most atrocious bokeh I have ever seen – look at those double contours! I persist in my evaluation: the world's most expensive ashtray.

The old man from the Age of the Canon P

Cliches gone wild? The boke is similar to the very desirable late 19th early 20th century soft focus lenses. Many large format photographers highly prize their unique drawing - I happen to have a pinkham & smith 18" 6 semi achromat which is full of spherical aberrations. It is my prized lens and is much more valuable than all the highly corrected lenses.

A sharp lens is not a better lens - its just sharper. The eye renders images similar to a softer lens.

• 7 months later...

m6 with canon dream lens ..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hmmm

Could a 50 Nikkor 1.4 also be used on a Leica ?

I saw someone selling adaptors but they were just for wide angle and not rangefinder coupled

how about for my first lens ever, present of my Girlfriend (who become my wife,) can it be done ? is it worth it ?

Now I want a Canon 0.95. I am pretty sure I can't afford the Leica 0.95.

BTW - I LOVE the bokeh. But I have to admit, I love the impressionists. I would be tempted to take pictures at 0.95 with the entire picture out of focus, just to see the photo as Monet would have drawn it. Truly a dream lens

• 1 year later...

A good Dream Lens can surprise you. I've had two and one definitely was better than the other. That's the one that took these images. This one's a TV lens that's been converted. The other was a rangefinder conversion. The bokeh can be wild but it isn't always. Depends on the nature and distance of the background primarily, I think.

5977211392_3ff9af1812_o.jpg

5976646561_9582561a51_o.jpg

Rod - great ! I especially like the first photograph with the unique toning!

I am a sucker for high speed lenses, especially for their usability in low light and the interesting side effect of unique imaging wide open.

The Canon 0.95 is one of these lenses, I am really after - a potential deal recently didn't materialize as of the involved high price due to shipping and customs fees.

It is one of the last lenses very high on my shopping list.

I think, this one pairs nicely with the new 100 f2 LTM ;-)

• Like 1

Rod - great ! I especially like the first photograph with the unique toning!

I am a sucker for high speed lenses, especially for their usability in low light and the interesting side effect of unique imaging wide open.

The Canon 0.95 is one of these lenses, I am really after - a potential deal recently didn't materialize as of the involved high price due to shipping and customs fees.

It is one of the last lenses very high on my shopping list.

I think, this one pairs nicely with the new 100 f2 LTM ;-)

Thanks menos! When you find a Canon 0.95 at a price you're willing to pay, be sure you can see some good example pix made with it. As I said, one I had was not very good. They all suffer from significant field curvature but you want to have an idea what you're getting considering the prices.

I'm a fast lens junkie too. I shoot a lot in available dark though so it's worth it.

Here's a couple that show the bokeh that the Dream lens is better known for. As stated by someone earlier in this thread, some hate it. That's their privilege. I like it for some things. Thankfully, it's different strokes for different folks. Otherwise, photography would be extremely boring and there would only need to be one brand of lens. Somebody else mentioned Monet like but I think of it more as Van Gogh like. :)

5980153662_084378280e_o.jpg

5980153732_a70631ee3a_o.jpg

• Like 1