M8 with Canon 50mm f/0.95

johnastovall

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You seriously would want to remove the vignetting?:) Funny - I've actually got an action that adds vignetting to my pictures. Each to their own.

Well there you go. When you buy expensive lenses you have to do extra work to make them look cheap :rolleyes: Actually, my copy of the lens (at f/0.95) there's not much you want out at the corner of the field, I would generally agree that you would want vignetting. I think Alexander has really used the lens for some IDEAL senario's for this lens in broad daylight. In normal daylight shots in most circumstances I'll be found with my cv50/1.5.

robert

Hopefully it will not irritate many if I keep this thread alive one more day, but I did my test yesterday and would like to ask how this .95 copy compares to others.

I shot the Canon along side a CV 1.5, and Type 1 Summilux (1959 - not known for the best wide open performance). Of course I would like to include the Noctilux here, but if I had it I wouldn't be holding the Canon. :D

The link below shows the results (100% crop) wide open and at 2.8, I did some minor levels on the wide open Canon and Leica samples to minimize contrast and slight exposure variations. I also added a Leica shot at 2.0 just to show the improvement in the lens when slightly stopped down. Of course there is plenty of "Leica Glow" in the Summilux and Canon w/o shots...

Does this Canon's performance seem up to par with other copies out there?

Tunachaser Gallery - 1/50mm-compare

Also look for the f1.2, I have one, no problem adapting you just use a bayonet to screw adaptor, personally I like it better than the .95 - much lighter, almost as fast and very sharp but with dreamy bokeh. Also you can pick them up for between 350 - 600 US

Hi David,

I was just thinking the same thing. People who like this kind of look should definitely consider the 50/1.2 LTM lens as well. This article may be of interest (covers 50/1.4, 50/1.2 and others):

Luminous landscape

Cheers,

Sean

Could some of you guys post some well lit .95 shots at minimum focusing distance? I would like to know how sharp a good one is. I am comparing to my Nokton 1.5 and Summilux Type 1 (these two are very close in sharpness) and the 0.95 wide open is a good bit softer than either.

That's how it should be. See the comparisons in the article I linked above to get a feel for how those older canon 50s tend to draw.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi David,

I was just thinking the same thing. People who like this kind of look should definitely consider the 50/1.2 LTM lens as well. This article may be of interest (covers 50/1.4, 50/1.2 and others):

Luminous landscape

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Thanks, here is a shot with the 1.2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is everyone using this lens with a lenshood? I have never heard of anyone using a Noctilux without a hood.

It does make a difference.

Just why do you think using a lens hood makes a difference in the image.

It all depends on the lighting and where that light is coming from.

If the light is behind the subject I don't see how a lens hood could make any difference in how the image turns out.

The only time a hood has any effect is IF the light is coming from the side/top/bottom and in front of the lens.

Please explain why you think this.

• 2 months later...

I find the bokeh on many of these (excellent) Canon f/0.95 examples to be much closer to that of the M-Hexanon f/1.2, than that of the Noctilux.

I have used and compared the latter two lenses on my M8, though not the Canons. It's a subjective matter, of course, but judged by these examples, and if bokeh were a prime criterion, I'd lean towards the (apparently) smoother and creamier results achieved with the Canon f/1.2.

i love this lens, i have a noctilux too, but prefer the smoother, creamy more emotional look of the canon 0.95.

my first post, hello everyone :)

matt

Alexander: I love the gentle gradients in your landscape shots, it's kind of a 50's look. Where did you capture the photo with the horses in it?

Thanks, the horses is located on a field just outside Oslo (Norway) near the airport Gardermoen...

• 11 months later...
Hi David,

Luminous landscape

Cheers,

Sean

I have a 55 mm F1.2 Canon FE lens converted to Leica M mount and it is much sharper wide open than the 50 mm F1.2 Michael was using in this test but given the age of these lenses it could just be a variance due to age.

M8+Canon 55 mm F1.2 at F 1.2.