M8 with Canon 50mm f/0.95

johnastovall

Beautiful lens, but I totally lack an idea about how much would be a good price for it.

Got out of the bidding duel @ ebay at US$ 1200 + 19% VAT last night.

Is that already too high? I know, it's kind of depending on my own feelings, but I wouldn't want to get ripped off by just buying a lens based on Alexander's beautiful pictures, which I know he can do quite similar with a lot of other lenses as well because of his talent and probably not (only) the lens.

So, who can give some more insight? Sought after lens? Hard to get? Sells fast and is a keeper or complicated?

Any info is appreciated.

Also look for the f1.2, I have one, no problem adapting you just use a bayonet to screw adaptor, personally I like it better than the .95 - much lighter, almost as fast and very sharp but with dreamy bokeh. Also you can pick them up for between 350 - 600 US

I've seen mint condition 0.95s going for $2,000.

They'e not making any more, and you have to assume a few every year are going out in a blaze of glory, so they're going to have an increase in price over the years. The M-mount won't be changing in the future, regardless of when the successor comes.

If you don't want to pay out for or can't find the 0.95 or 1.2, I'd also recommend the Canon LTM 50 1.4 which seems to be much more readily available. I picked one up for around US$200. It's no 50 Lux asph, but it's a fun lens. Here's a snap of my son earlier this summer. This was at f4.

Stephen

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Beautiful lens, but I totally lack an idea about how much would be a good price for it.

Got out of the bidding duel @ ebay at US$ 1200 + 19% VAT last night.

Is that already too high? I know, it's kind of depending on my own feelings, but I wouldn't want to get ripped off by just buying a lens based on Alexander's beautiful pictures, which I know he can do quite similar with a lot of other lenses as well because of his talent and probably not (only) the lens.

So, who can give some more insight? Sought after lens? Hard to get? Sells fast and is a keeper or complicated?

Any info is appreciated.

I think at this point $1200 for a converted one is a really good deal. A lot of people pay significantly more than that all told - especially if you buy and then send it for conversion. This is based on my research of the last couple of weeks, and your mileage may vary.

It is highly sought after - this week, but what about next? I think that at these prices, the lens is a risky proposition if you want to recoup your money down the road. This is probably the top of the market right now (proven by the fact I just bought in!)

BTW, I think that lens on eBay that went for $1400 was a good deal - the hood usually goes for several hundred by itself.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah, too bad I didn't get it - anyway, thanks all for the advice.

I will definitely look into the 50/1.2 as well, as I like the bokeh I've seen so far on sample shots that I found on the web.

So, if anyone sees a 0.95 floating on the web, let me know (unless it's that pricey bugger from Hongkong). :D

Dirk

I am starting to like the 50/1.2 Canon, I just got a very clean one from Adorama. Here's two at a badly-lit recital given by an amazing 92-year old pianist.

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicians/L1002312HokansonChord.htm

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicians/L1002314HokansonBow.htm

One in the car at night, just for fun. Yes, it flares, so use it!

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/L1002300KatyaNiteDrive.htm

And a couple of test shots at home:

L1002212KatyaKitchen50-1_2-w

L1002263KatyaRead50-1_2-w

Not too bad! And it weighs about half of what the 50/0.95 Canon or the Noctilux weighs. Sure, I'd like an f/1 lens, but given the conversion and cost issues, I think this will hold me for a while.

These were taken with a 55mm B&W IR cut filter and a generic screw-in 55mm metal lens hood. I find that even in B&W, the pictures are sharper without the slightly out-of-focus IR component. But, you often get a half-stop more light in tungsten lighting if you take of the IR filter. which might reduce camera shake at 1/30 or slower.

--Peter

I did get to use the "NoctAnon" 0.95 today. It was really foggy before sunrise....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Also look for the f1.2, I have one, no problem adapting you just use a bayonet to screw adaptor, personally I like it better than the .95 - much lighter, almost as fast and very sharp but with dreamy bokeh. Also you can pick them up for between 350 - 600 US

One of the forum advertisers has a f/1.2 currently for sale on his used LTM listing, within that price range.

Classic Connection LLC Fine Cameras

robert

... So, if anyone sees a 0.95 floating on the web, let me know (unless it's that pricey bugger from Hongkong). :D

Dirk

Dirk,

There's one here in a Lieca mount and it's not from PA in HK but it's $1695.

Find Canon 50/0.95 TV ........ Leica M mount ....... on eBay within For 35mm Rangefinder, Film Camera Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo (end time 27-Nov-07 18:59:00 GMT)

Pete.

Does anyone know any european services that remodel the mount from the original Canon mount to an coupled M mount?

[Edit] Nevermind, I found an earlier thread stating that there are probably only two guys who would do that, both in the US.

On a lighter note, there's one on eBay right now which starts off cheap, but seems to be the Canon 7 mount.

Could some of you guys post some well lit .95 shots at minimum focusing distance? I would like to know how sharp a good one is. I am comparing to my Nokton 1.5 and Summilux Type 1 (these two are very close in sharpness) and the 0.95 wide open is a good bit softer than either.

I don't expect it to match those two, but I want make sure it looks like it is up to parr with other examples of its kind.

(Of course a shot beside a Noctilux would be the best comparison - if anyone could do that, it would be great!)

Thanks ( Of course, I can post my comparisons, if requested.)

Could some of you guys post some well lit .95 shots at minimum focusing distance? I would like to know how sharp a good one is. I am comparing to my Nokton 1.5 and Summilux Type 1 (these two are very close in sharpness) and the 0.95 wide open is a good bit softer than either.

I don't expect it to match those two, but I want make sure it looks like it is up to parr with other examples of its kind.

(Of course a shot beside a Noctilux would be the best comparison - if anyone could do that, it would be great!)

Thanks ( Of course, I can post my comparisons, if requested.)

I can try to do it a little later or tomorrow morning. I think that the only lenses that this lens can be compared to, is the Nocti, Nikon 1.1 and the other old threadmount 1.1 lens from the 70´s? I would rather compare it with the Summilux or Nokton at 1.4. It performs much better stopped down so it would be kinda wrong comparing it at 0.95 to a slower lens wide open IMO. I like this one better than the Nocti.

Hello all. Erik here:) Nice to meet you all.

I can try to do it a little later or tomorrow morning. I think that the only lenses that this lens can be compared to, is the Nocti, Nikon 1.1 and the other old threadmount 1.1 lens from the 70´s? I would rather compare it with the Summilux or Nokton at 1.4. It performs much better stopped down so it would be kinda wrong comparing it at 0.95 to a slower lens wide open IMO. I like this one better than the Nocti.

Hello all. Erik here:) Nice to meet you all.

That would be great Erik, and welcome. (I thought about pestering you on RFF for samples, but wanted to try here too) :D