M8 with Canon 50mm f/0.95

johnastovall

Thanks Robert

But i actually like the lens like it is, the natural vignetting just adds to the lens character...

(at least that´'s what i think :-)

Alexander,

I agree with you, the vignetting creates a soft "frame" for the composition -- very nice shots.

Larry

Can any Canon 0.95 fit on any M-mount?

I'm using mine on both an M8 and Epson R-D1. The existing Canon bayonet mount must be modified to an M-mount which takes a bit of machine shop work.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Alexander:

I'm blown away by your shots!

But where and how can I get it coupled and calibrated and M-mounted?

Thanks so much for the kind words... :-)

....the special fitting/calibrating can be done by various service workshops...

But where and how can I get it coupled and calibrated and M-mounted?

There are at least two versions of the Canon TV version (C mount I think) and the version for the Canon 7 rangefinder, custom mount.

The Canon7 version has a rangefinder coupling tab, the TV I believe DOES NOT and would be significantly more work for a home-shop to do (and beyond my abilities).

All that is missing in parts is a 50/75 ltm/M adapter and 4-suitably sized screws to mount it on the back flange (and a drill bit, tap, screwdriver etc. to do the work).

I'm not into detailed lens nomenclature, so bear with the "do-hicky" explanation of what I did. The complete glass/optics section easily is removed from the rear mounting without any compromise (optical/focus) by undoing the mounting "frame" by putting a screwdriver into one of the two rear slots on the mount and turning the "ring nut" (about the diameter of the lense) off what it's mounted to and the whole back just drops off, allowing you to work on it with no particles of brass, etc. getting into the optics.

The small aluminum tabs that extend behind the lens mount need to be ground off, it's pretty obvious that it's in the way. Then mount the M adapter to the back of the mount, making sure the lens rangefinder tab lines up with the "swoop" of the adapter, just like other lenses you own. There is no precision, the plane that the M-adapter mounts onto is the same plane as you need to get the right positioning. (That being said, I have to fix the backfocus of my lens in the near future, but I also have a factory cv40/1.4 that is unusable because of back focus).

Some investigation of Photography: Digital Camera Reviews, Learn Photography, Photo Galleries - photo.net will give you even more information Here's a starting point, but try searhing "canon 95" under the rangefinders section. Leica and Rangefinders Forum: OT: Why does this used Canon .95 for leica cost more than a used Noctilux? - photo.net

btw. I need a small "stick" to poke the lens release button because I can't reach it with fingers this lens is so big..

Here's a test upload to show how "critical" focusing is at f/0.95. NOTE the plan in the photo is skewed by 3" (i.e. the left side is 3" ahead of the right side of the paper plan in the photo.), it is not intended to show edge resolution, merely how narrow the depth of field is. At close focusing you can literally focus on a pencil line on a sheet of paper, OR the paper behind the pencil line :eek: So doing this is near darkness where you mostly want a f/0.95 is tough. test Photo Gallery by neelin at pbase.com

OTOH, Alexander's daylight photos are VERY nice

Robert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's a wee bit of glass.

I think the image is lovely!

Where could I possibly find one of these lenses? And how much $$$? Do you have it rangefinder coupled?

Andreas, there is one with M-mount right now on eBay-ending in 23 hours. Good luck.:)

John, congratulations on the lens! Lovely image!

Enjoy it as long as it is pleasing to your eyes:)

cheers

Here's a panorama from this lens...

Hey John and Alexander,

Nice shots. Can either of you show some portrait or people shots with this lens? I'd be curious to see some. It seems the M8 will do great stuff no matter what lens you put on it. My 50mm lens is a Konica Hexanon and it is a grand lens on the M8.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Hey John and Alexander,

Nice shots. Can either of you show some portrait or people shots with this lens? I'd be curious to see some. It seems the M8 will do great stuff no matter what lens you put on it. My 50mm lens is a Konica Hexanon and it is a grand lens on the M8.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Not perfectly in focus, nor very exiting, but a portrait never the less...