Problems with Apple Photos app

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would welcome some advice here:  when I transfer files from my Leica M8 into the Apple photos app, they go into the 'Imports' section of the app.  But they don't transfer to the 'Library' section.  So it makes it impossible for me to duplicate a photo and, for example, make a B&W version of the photo -- this is possible only in the Library section, and not in the Imports.  I've used different SD cards, both slightly older ones and an Extreme Pro sandisk card.

The same problem occurs when I transfer photos from my Nikon D700 which takes a CF Express card.  Again, no transfer in the Library section.  

Does it have something to do with the fact that these two cameras are older, and something is out of synch with the way the Photos app works today?

I contacted Apple and the advisor suggested that the problem might lie with the card reader I'm using, an Advent multi-format reader.  But there's no problems with transferring either from SD cards on my Leica M11 or Nikon D850.  So I'm genuinely confused.  Advice would be most welcome! Many thanks in advance.

I'm assuming you are using Photos on a Mac, and not iPhone/iPad?

When you say you are looking at the "imports section of the App" is that the Import dialog (which means they haven't been transferred to the Library yet), or are you taking about the "Imports" folder in the main App which shows the recent imports?

Have you tried copying the files to a drive on your Mac first and then importing them into Apple Photos? That might narrow down the problem area.

Also, what happens if you right click on one of the photos in the Import folder and select "Show in All Photos"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/9/2023 at 12:27 PM, John McDade said:

I would welcome some advice here:  when I transfer files from my Leica M8 into the Apple photos app, they go into the 'Imports' section of the app.  But they don't transfer to the 'Library' section.  So it makes it impossible for me to duplicate a photo and, for example, make a B&W version of the photo -- this is possible only in the Library section, and not in the Imports.  I've used different SD cards, both slightly older ones and an Extreme Pro sandisk card.

The same problem occurs when I transfer photos from my Nikon D700 which takes a CF Express card.  Again, no transfer in the Library section.  

Does it have something to do with the fact that these two cameras are older, and something is out of synch with the way the Photos app works today?

I contacted Apple and the advisor suggested that the problem might lie with the card reader I'm using, an Advent multi-format reader.  But there's no problems with transferring either from SD cards on my Leica M11 or Nikon D850.  So I'm genuinely confused.  Advice would be most welcome! Many thanks in advance.

It helped me only when I scrolled down the menu to "all photos" and then I was able to find them, but not immediately.

On 10/9/2023 at 2:42 PM, Corius said:

I'm assuming you are using Photos on a Mac, and not iPhone/iPad?

When you say you are looking at the "imports section of the App" is that the Import dialog (which means they haven't been transferred to the Library yet), or are you taking about the "Imports" folder in the main App which shows the recent imports?

Have you tried copying the files to a drive on your Mac first and then importing them into Apple Photos? That might narrow down the problem area.

Also, what happens if you right click on one of the photos in the Import folder and select "Show in All Photos" 

I tried a lot of different techniques, but until I downloaded a special app for adding text to photos I never really got anywhere. If you are interested in learning more about the app that allows you to add text to photos and then it will be easier to find it, so you can quickly do what you need. If I had found this article earlier, I wouldn't have tried to waste time trying to add it without a special app, and as it turns out there are many of them.

I copied the files to Apple Photos, however that did little to solve the problem, I had to do some more manipulation. But maybe it helped someone else.

Hi @John McDade

It sounds like a frustrating issue! Given your situation, here are a few things to try:

1. Ensure you're looking in the "Imports" folder in the main app, not just the import dialog. If the photos are there, right-click one and select "Show in All Photos" to see if they appear in the Library.
  2. Try copying the files to your Mac's drive first, then importing them into Apple Photos.
  3. Check the dates of the photos in the Library module. Older photos might not appear at the top, so you may need to scroll to their date.
  4. Consider the possibility that the card reader could be the issue, despite it working with other cards.

Hope this helps!