Jump to content

How do you share your photos?


tangosix

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Seems simple in 2023.  How do you share your photos with clients and friends? 

I am at a place where I want more features.  Especially Hi-Resolution. 

I have been using Google drive to share folders with clients, however if they do not have google loaded on their phone or PC, it does not load. 

Adobe requires the receiving user to create an account; this barrier stops so many people that it is not useful.

I am considering a website with folders logins for the clients. 

What do you use to share images quickly?  Speed is important. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I share photos to 'clients' (I do unpaid work for stage performance stuff) using Lightroom. Create a collection, share it to the Adobe cloud, make it public, 'permit' downloads, then send the client a link. It requires no extra storage online. I am puzzled when you say that Adobe requires users to create an account - it's not necessary this way.

The downloads are at limited resolution (about 2000 pixels on the longest edge) which is more than good enough for online publicity use and for printing in concert and theatre programmes. Occasionally someone wants high res versions (e.g for posters), but those are usually sent by Wetransfer or, as final fallback, a USB stick.

I have occasionally used Onedrive for hires images, but unless you pay for a lot of storage, that only works if you regularly delete older stuff. The trouble with hires images is that they quickly eat up storage space, and cost money online whether it's your own site or another one - hence the value of the free and unlimited Lightroom solution. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Wetransfer

I used to use this quite a bit until it started to ask me at the beginning to verify my email address, and I was supposed to receive a mail and click on that to confirm. NEVER received the mail! Not in Spam either. Same crap with Swisstransfer.ch - also started recently same issue, having using both of these interchangeably for  two or three years.

Now I use my own web site and a specific page if I really want to send something larger than acceptable by email.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit ashamed to talk about the subject, since I haven´t updated for years (I have a FIRM RESOLVE to start doing so, but it still remains a resolve, not any kind of action...😟).  I do have several more recent private albums for the family there, but what you´ll see using the link below is old indeed...

But, I do have a Smugmug account, and while it is a bit expensive, it is all one might ask for.  Very flexible, unlimited space, excellent resolution, easy to upload and modify (there´s a good Lightroom plugin).  Highly recommended!  The text is in Swedish, so you´ll have a good opportunity to practise that....😉.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, elgenper said:

A bit ashamed to talk about the subject, since I haven´t updated for years (I have a FIRM RESOLVE to start doing so, but it still remains a resolve, not any kind of action...😟).  I do have several more recent private albums for the family there, but what you´ll see using the link below is old indeed...

But, I do have a Smugmug account, and while it is a bit expensive, it is all one might ask for.  Very flexible, unlimited space, excellent resolution, easy to upload and modify (there´s a good Lightroom plugin).  Highly recommended!  The text is in Swedish, so you´ll have a good opportunity to practise that....😉.

Is jAlbum also from Stockholm a competitor then I use that, also Swedish and that has all English text as a bonus for those like me.

 

Beautiful pictures by the way, no shame in Smugmug(!), especially the dogs, brings back memories of our 3 standard poodles, especially - such a wonderful companion breed.

Edited by idusidusi
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, idusidusi said:

Is jAlbum also from Stockholm a competitor then I use that, also Swedish and that has all English text as a bonus for those like me.

 

Beautiful pictures by the way, no shame in Smugmug(!), especially the dogs, brings back memories of our 3 standard poodles, especially - such a wonderful companion breed.

First time I hear of jAlbum; looks good!   Different from Smugmug, however, in that iAlbum seems to be primarily an app that allows you to have your files on a server/web hotel of your own choice; using iAlbum´s own costs extra.  Haven´t done any price comparisons, but the sheer work of moving everything from Smugmug to somewhere else, and configuring the albums and presentations anew is a strong deterrent for me.... (I´m lazy, remember!)  For anybody starting out fresh however, it seems worth consideration.

Thanks a lot for the nice words about the pics!

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, elgenper said:

First time I hear of jAlbum; looks good!   Different from Smugmug, however, in that iAlbum seems to be primarily an app that allows you to have your files on a server/web hotel of your own choice; using iAlbum´s own costs extra.  Haven´t done any price comparisons, but the sheer work of moving everything from Smugmug to somewhere else, and configuring the albums and presentations anew is a strong deterrent for me.... (I´m lazy, remember!)  For anybody starting out fresh however, it seems worth consideration.

Thanks a lot for the nice words about the pics!

I agree I dread moving all my albums somewhere else after several years with jAlbum. You can use it in two ways 1) as I do albums served from jAlbum space which I pay for of course and 2) albums created in jAlbum app, but hosted on one's own web space.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For wedding, portrait and events clients I use Pixieset to create galleries for them to share slideshows, select images for ordering, purchasing and downloading files.  If I’m sending bulk files to clients, such as an edited wedding collection, I use Dropbox.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2023 at 7:31 AM, idusidusi said:

s jAlbum also from Stockholm a competitor then I use that, also Swedish and that has all English text as a bonus for those like me.

 

SmugMug is in whatever supported language you want your smugmug home page to be.  See https://www.smugmug.com

I've been using them to mostly store old family photos taken or scanned for access by others in my family.  In the past I've also used them to store images referenced in on-line postings, probably some posted to this site.  That use has fallen by the wayside as more and more sites allow direct image uploads.

I think I initially picket them years ago because I could also upload videos.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a pro but I take a lot of photos.  I share mine on a huge American website called www.Quora.com in the "spaces" called All Your Photos, Journey Into the Wild, Halloween Photos, Nature Photography, Amazing Pictures, Pictures, Landscapes Album.  It's a fairly friendly place where I now correspond with people in various places including Estonia, Australia, Nepal, U.K.,  India, China, France, as well as American participants.  Only drawback is limit on photo size to about 4MB.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am going with photoFolio.com to set up a website and see what is possible.  If it is good enough for Dan Winters it is good enough for me.  I like the idea of keeping full-size files on the website. 

If the file delivery is not up to snuff, I will go for a secondary service like we transfer or dropbox that will control the delivery. 

Pixiset is interesting for the Brides in my life. 

For example, I delivered images using Google Drive to two brides recently and both viewed several images, snapped a screen pic with their iPhone, and then posted to social media.  The quality of course was hideous and embarrassing.  You cannot control people, but hopefully, I can manage this delivery process.  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Slickpick site which no one ever visits but is there just in case someone asks. I’m currently a beta tester for a new app called foto which will soon be launched and aims to position itself as something like the original Instagram. I’ve never been on instagram but apparently that’s a good thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...