High Grip Covering for M8

Guest Walt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just gotten back my first M8 recovered by Morgan Sparks at Camera Leather. He did a surperb, literally flawless, job. This is a synthetic covering called Griptac (in "charcoal"). I also asked him to place a rectangle of it on the back of the top plate (see the photograph below). If you're an expensive leather type, this isn't for you, but I think it looks considerably better than the original cover. The rectangle on the back isn't the most elegant idea (my idea) I've ever seen, but it's very functional. The material is not only deeply grained, it provides some cushion and tack.

It is remarkable how this transforms the experience of using the camera. A friend, naive to cameras, picked up this camera with the Zeiss lens and finder on it and compared it to the other body with original covering and a CV 35/2.5 on it. She prefered the Zeiss camera, she said, because "it is much lighter." To me, too, the grippier camera feels much, much lighter and is surprisingly easier to handle. It would be difficult to convey the difference without actually trying it.

So I recommend this material and highly recommend Mr. Sparks, who has also been a pleasure to deal with. My second body is on the way as we speak. That original Leica covering, I now realize, is annoying and downright dangerous.

Walt

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just gotten back my first M8 recovered by Morgan Sparks at Camera Leather. He did a surperb, literally flawless, job. This is a synthetic covering called Griptac (in "charcoal"). I also asked him to place a rectangle of it on the back of the top plate (see the photograph below). If you're an expensive leather type, this isn't for you, but I think it looks considerably better than the original cover. The rectangle on the back isn't the most elegant idea (my idea) I've ever seen, but it's very functional. The material is not only deeply grained, it provides some cushion and tack.

It is remarkable how this transforms the experience of using the camera. A friend, naive to cameras, picked up this camera with the Zeiss lens and finder on it and compared it to the other body with original covering and a CV 35/2.5 on it. She prefered the Zeiss camera, she said, because "it is much lighter." To me, too, the grippier camera feels much, much lighter and is surprisingly easier to handle. It would be difficult to convey the difference without actually trying it.

So I recommend this material and highly recommend Mr. Sparks, who has also been a pleasure to deal with. My second body is on the way as we speak. That original Leica covering, I now realize, is annoying and downright dangerous.

Walt

Now that looks interesting. Hmmmmmm. Details?

Walt I like the grip wrap. What did it cost you?

Also is that a doughnut around your SET button? If so where dod you get it?

Ed-

The cost was about $120, a real bargain I think. What this has done for me is make the camera feel an "extension of the hand" for the first time, like an M4. The easy grip attaches it to the hand in a relaxed way, rather than having to hold on for dear life. Leica's choice of the original covering is a mystery to me. Perhaps it wasn't a choice, it just happened. Like a few other things on the camera.

Yes, that's a "doughnut," and if you search, I made a post explaining it. When you ask that question, I remember that this photo shows three remedies to what I consider Leica's failings with this camera: the set buttons, the covering, and the inaccurate frame lines (I use external finders with all lenses, not just a 21). You can't see the lube in the shutter, but that's there too.

Walt

I agree, Morgan sent me some Griptac samples and I'm working on a post "How to Recover your M8" to show people how to apply the kit bought from Morgan.

The main incentive to do it yourself is to avoid the need to ship the camera with the attendant shipping costs and, for people outside the US, the customs hassles - a mirror situation of people in the US sending their cameras to Solms.

The Griptac offers superb security, especially when you cover the grip as well. Morgan sent me black and grey samples to try and I'll be posting pictures in due course.

I also have the black kid leather (and a couple of verdigris rejects to practice on) which don't offer the same security that Griptac does but is great to hold. So, from the standard Leica covering, you can go "luxury" or "security", all for about the cost of a (small) IR filter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mark-

Yes, the overseas thing would be a hassle; but for me Morgan turned the cameras around in 24 hours and with overnight FedEx to and from California, I should have them both done, one at a time, in about a week. And his workmanship is superb, literally flawless.

The "patch" of material on the back of the top plate is a big benefit in handling, and it would be nice to do something that looked better. I just haven't thought of what that would be. Any ideas?

Walt

Mark-

Yes, the overseas thing would be a hassle; but for me Morgan turned the cameras around in 24 hours and with overnight FedEx to and from California, I should have them both done, one at a time, in about a week. And his workmanship is superb, literally flawless.

The "patch" of material on the back of the top plate is a big benefit in handling, and it would be nice to do something that looked better. I just haven't thought of what that would be. Any ideas?

Walt

A Luigi half-case of course!

A Luigi half-case of course!

Although the Luigi cases are probably very nice some M shooter just don't like wrapping up there cameras in a case, I raise my hand. Never used a case of any type on any M I've owned and don't plan on starting now.

The covering use on Walt's M8 is just what I've been looking for.

I now use the Leica M8 Grip base on both my M8's and it is OK but when going from M8 to my M3 and back again I fine I like holding the camera without the grip base. But the original Leica covering is terrible and you have to have a death grip on the camera all the time. Not so with the M3.

I'm really not interested in putting on a green/orange/blue snake/alligator skin covering on any camera I own (If other are that's OK with me).

Morgan sent me some kid samples as well as the “Black Beauty” leather. It looks similar to the Griptac although is a heavy gauge leather with a deep texture, and its a tad glossy. As typical with some OCD Leica owner’s, I’m struggling between the choices. In the end, I will likely opt for function over form:D

Regards,

Although the Luigi cases are probably very nice some M shooter just don't like wrapping up there cameras in a case, I raise my hand. Never used a case of any type on any M I've owned and don't plan on starting now.

I now use the Leica M8 Grip base on both my M8's and it is OK but when going from M8 to my M3 and back again I fine I like holding the camera without the grip base. But the original Leica covering is terrible and you have to have a death grip on the camera all the time. Not so with the M3.

I'm really not interested in putting on a green/orange/blue snake/alligator skin covering on any camera I own (If other are that's OK with me).

The Luigi half case on my black M8 is in black leather. It provides a measure of protection and an excellent grip

I agree Ronald. And although I do not really like the M8 default cover I don't think I will ever make the step to get it re-covered when not needed.

That's just it!! For YOU it's not needed because you like and use a case. For others a case is not a option.

Ed-

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto and ditto.

Walt

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious but any issues with this voiding the warranty? If not it sounds like a no-brainer.

I find myself using the Luigi half-case primarily because it muffles the shutter sound a little, a noticeable reduction in the high-pitch whine and buzzing the shutter generates that makes one of my biggest compaints about the camera less annoying. That's important for me as a difference, might be minor or unnoticeable for others.

However, as noted there are lots of reasons why one would not want to use a case, especially when changing batteries or cards frequently, etc. This looks like the panacea we've been looking for that Leica should have done for the camera in the first place.