Flash recommendation for the S5II/S1R is requestedl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have read that Lumix and Olympus flash units share the same TTL compatibility. Is this true, and if so, what do you recommend for a small flash unit to use for casual indoor family photos, where TTL flash metering can be used? Also, does anyone have experience with the affordable Godox TT350O Mini Thinklite TTL Flash? Thanks in advance for all advice.

No experience with the more tiny  Godox TT350-O
But am using two flashes  Godox TT685-O  in combination with Lumix S1R

Bought one flash as a set together with tripod / sandbag, light box 60x60 cm
+ Godox X PRO-O transmitter. Separately a second
Godox TT685-O flash.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As a counterpart to the own Panasonic brand flashes, a joke in terms of price.
All that stuff together costs less than one comparable Panasonic flash.

TTL lighting works great with the Lumix S1R camera.

Keep in mind though if using some light shapers (lamp tripod + flash umbrella / soft box), or using light indirectly by ceiling.
You have to dial in some flash power corrections by the Godox X PRO-O transmitter, or directly at the flashes itself.

However, this "strange brand" flash definitely has also its drawbacks.
The special flash menu of the Lumix camera itself for dialling in channels and flash power corrections,
do not work in combination to the Godox flashes. (Only by Panasonic flash models I guess).
But you have plenty playing possibilities by the flash menu and Godox X PRO-O transmitter itself, to do the same.

I am using the old Godox TT685-O I (one) models.
Maybe the new models II have not the following found imperfections??

When using a TT685-O flash “directly” connected to the camera:
The auto zoom reflector of the flash does not match the zoom positions of the  Lumix F 4.0 / 24-105 mm zoom lens.
The zoom reflector of the flash takes longer focal length steps than the lens itself.
Reflector starts at 28mm and with the lens at 70mm the flash reflector is already at 105mm.

Especially in the wide-angle position, too much light falls off in this way, towards the edges.
In addition, the light distribution of the flash is not "that" uniform enough IMO (especially at short focal lengths).
At longer zoom reflector angle the difference
stands out less.

By sticking 2-3 layers of plastic from a sandwich bag in front of the reflector with tape, both disadvantages are better compensated.
You can also use the wide-angle reflector of the flash itself, but then the light is always spread very far (14mm), and that quickly do cost flash power.

When using the flashes "separately" from the camera:
in combination with the Godox X PRO-O transmitter, the zoom reflector of the flash responds in a slightly different range,
and each time takes a step more wide-angle than the zoom position of the lens itself.

That is less bad than "the other way around", more telephoto when using the flash directly on the camera.
However, in use separately from the camera, it is better to set the zoom positions of the reflector manually anyway,
because you often already use light shapers or flash light indirectly. 

(
Lumix  &  Sigma prime / fixed focal  lenses. The zoom reflector of the flashes correspond correctly).

In any case, a wide range of possibilities.

The above set specially bought to have a more lightweight “travel” set.

I am using also some older big and heavy studio flash equipment (Broncolor). Manually controlled, from more early days in photography.
To heavy for me to carry around most of the times. But for certain occasions still to be used.

So also searched for a simple radio receiver that do match with the Godox X PRO-O transmitter to sync with these studio flashes.

Another matching Godox X1 receiver for the Olympus / Panasonic type unfortunately is not produced.
Because for me it mainly concerns an extra wireless flash control of the old-fashioned studio flash with 3.5 mm PC sync contact,
without extra electronic fine adjustments, I thought that it would also work with a different type of
Godox X1 receiver.

Godox X PRO-O (Olympus) transmitter   -   Godox X1R-C (Canon) receiver.
Tried with the X1 receiver type for Canon.      Successfully!
Correct channel and group set on both the Godox X PRO-O and Godox X1R-C
and a connected studio flash will fire if the transmitter is set to M or TTL.
With Off also neatly off (the studio flash does not respond).

The Godox X1R-C comes with 3 different types of sync cables, with another adapter plug to a thicker sync contact that was used in the past.
In addition to this option, I also checked whether a simple slide-on center contact accessory shoe with a sync cable responds in the same way.
And that also just works. This makes it fully functional with what I envision for wireless flash firing of other types of manual flashes.

Hopefully this information can be helpful for you and other Panasonic camera users.

Edited by Babylonia

Nissin i60A, Panasonic / Olympus compatible, which I've used with no complaints for the last 18 months or more on my S1.

It's (relatively) cheap, compact, and (importantly for me) powered by 4xAA batteries. The latter not only means one less charger to worry about (although I use rechargeable AAs) but in the event of no power, replacements are easily and widely obtainable.

In short, it does what it says on the tin.

That Nissin seems a nice option.  Compact but still using 4x AA batteries.
E.g. the compact model  Godox TT350-O  as a suggestion by the topic starter itself, only is powered by 2x AA batteries.
So if it has to be a more compact model as a choice between those flash models, that Nissin would be my preference.

Although the Godox TT685-O as my own choice (I have other goals), is not that compact. 
It also is powered by 4x (rechargeable) AA batteries.
Specially chosen instead of a flash unit equipped with a brand proprietary sized rechargeable battery.
For the same reason that AA batteries is generally used and widely
obtainable.

Edited by Babylonia

I have to correct some given information I wrote in a previous message.
Related to the zoom reflector of the Godox flash models TT685-O

Am 12.8.2023 um 17:01 schrieb Babylonia:

The auto zoom reflector of the flash does not match the zoom positions of the  Lumix F 4.0 / 24-105 mm zoom lens.
The zoom reflector of the flash takes longer focal length steps than the lens itself.
Reflector starts at 28mm and with the lens at 70mm the flash reflector is already at 105mm.

Especially in the wide-angle position, too much light falls off in this way, towards the edges.
In addition, the light distribution of the flash is not "that" uniform enough IMO (especially at short focal lengths).
stands out less.

By sticking 2-3 layers of plastic from a sandwich bag in front of the reflector with tape, both disadvantages are better compensated.
You can also use the wide-angle reflector of the flash itself, but then the light is always spread very far (14mm), and that quickly do cost flash power.

in combination with the Godox X PRO-O transmitter, the zoom reflector of the flash responds in a slightly different range,
and each time takes a step more wide-angle than the zoom position of the lens itself.

That is less bad than "the other way around", more telephoto when using the flash directly on the camera.
However, in use separately from the camera, it is better to set the zoom positions of the reflector manually anyway,

(
Lumix  &  Sigma prime / fixed focal  lenses. The zoom reflector of the flashes correspond correctly).

What I wrote about the behaviour of the zoom reflector - the angle of the reflector in relation to the focal length of used zoom lenses.
When set to "auto".   All is truth - when using e.g. the  
Lumix F 4.0 / 24-105 mm zoom-lens

However the  bold and red marked  text at the bottom of my quotation.
(Lumix  &  Sigma prime / fixed focal  lenses. The zoom reflector of the flashes correspond correctly).

Is not truth.
All kind of lenses, fixed focal lenses  as well  zoom lenses,  the zoom reflector of the flash, is set wrong by using the auto zoom setting.
A  -  More "tele"   in case a flash is used at top of the camera.
B  -  More "wide" in case flashes are used separately from the camera,
                               and at the hot-shoe of the camera the Godox X PRO-O transmitter is used.

Checked by the following lenses:

Situation   - More "tele"    Sigma 50 mm F1.4 DG DN   zoom reflector setting = 70 mm
                                               Lumix 85 mm F1.8                zoom reflector setting = 105 mm

Lumix 16-35 mm F 4.0         at 35 mm - zoom reflector setting = 50 mm
                                                                                            at 28 mm - zoom reflector setting = 35 mm
                                                                                            at 24 mm - zoom reflector setting = 28 mm
                                                                                            at 20 mm - zoom reflector setting = 24 mm
                                                                                            at 16 mm - zoom reflector setting = 24 mm

Lumix 24-105 mm F 4.0       at 105 mm - zoom reflector setting = 105 mm
                                                                                             at 85 mm - zoom reflector setting = 105 mm
                                                                                             at 70 mm - zoom reflector setting = 80 mm
                                                                                             at 50 mm - zoom reflector setting = 70 mm
                                                                                             at 35 mm - zoom reflector setting = 50 mm
                                                                                               between - zoom reflector setting = 35 mm
                                                                                             at 24 mm - zoom reflector setting = 28 mm

Situation   B - More "wide"   Sigma 50 mm F1.4 DG DN   zoom reflector setting = 35 mm
                                                Lumix 85 mm F1.8                zoom reflector setting = 70 mm

Lumix 16-35 mm F 4.0         at 35mm - zoom reflector setting = 28 mm
                                                                                            at 28mm - zoom reflector setting = 24 mm
                                                                                            at 24mm - zoom reflector setting = 24 mm
                                                                                            at 20mm - zoom reflector setting = 24 mm
                                                                                            at 16mm - zoom reflector setting = 24 mm

Lumix 24-105 mm F 4.0     at 105 mm - zoom reflector setting = 80 mm
                                                                                              at 85 mm - zoom reflector setting = 70 mm
                                                                                              at 70 mm - zoom reflector setting = 50 mm
                                                                                              at 50 mm - zoom reflector setting = 35 mm
                                                                                              at 35 mm - zoom reflector setting = 28 mm
                                                                                              at 24 mm - zoom reflector setting = 24 mm

(24 mm is the most wide angle of the zoom reflector.
More wide = 14 mm coverage can be done by a fold away special shape diffuser).

As for using this Godox TT685-O flash to the camera, users specially have to take care of the above wrong settings.
Better to use full manual reflector angle settings, or if you want to have advantage of auto zoom settings of the flash zoom reflector,
Do use a helping piece of matte / diffuse plastic foil (plastic sandwich bag), for just a tiny more spreading the light.

Personally, mostly I am using some light shapers. So by that I do use manual settings of the zoom reflector of the flashes anyway.

In that time when I bought the flashes, I wrote to the supplier, to give this information also to Godox, for checking.
So they can correct the firmware.  But seems they did not listen (or they didn't understand what my intention was by my message).

Looking for a flash, you also can choose another brand of course, not having these errors.
(So you are warned what you can expect).

Edited by Babylonia

• 1 month later...

Why not just use an original Lumix flash?

Like the DMW-FL 360 ? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Or, if you need a small one a Metz AF 26 2 for Panasonic? 

vor 22 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Why not just use an original Lumix flash?

Just price-wise:
In my situation. One Godox flash as a set together with tripod/sandbag, light box 60x60 cm
+ Godox X PRO-O transmitter. Separately an extra second Godox TT685-O flash.

For one maybe it is not relevant, when he owns more than enough money in spending it. 😎
For another it can be a relevant. (Otherwise these questions are not posted).

Personally, I don't want to spent more into light than really necessary, for the relatively few occasions using flash.
With the lighting of a subject you cannot see the difference between "cheap"  or  "expensive".
It comes down to the skills of the photographer HOW to use the light.

• 3 weeks later...
Am 12.8.2023 um 17:01 schrieb Babylonia:

No experience with the more tiny  Godox TT350-O
But am using two flashes  Godox TT685-O  in combination with Lumix S1R

Bought one flash as a set together with tripod / sandbag, light box 60x60 cm
+ Godox X PRO-O transmitter. Separately a second
Godox TT685-O flash.

As a counterpart to the own Panasonic brand flashes, a joke in terms of price.

TTL lighting works great with the Lumix S1R camera.

Keep in mind though if using some light shapers (lamp tripod + flash umbrella / soft box), or using light indirectly by ceiling.
You have to dial in some flash power corrections by the Godox X PRO-O transmitter, or directly at the flashes itself.

The special flash menu of the Lumix camera itself for dialling in channels and flash power corrections,
do not work in combination to the Godox flashes. (Only by Panasonic flash models I guess).
But you have plenty playing possibilities by the flash menu and Godox X PRO-O transmitter itself, to do the same.

stands out less.

(

In any case, a wide range of possibilities.

The above set specially bought to have a more lightweight “travel” set.

I am using also some older big and heavy studio flash equipment (Broncolor). Manually controlled, from more early days in photography.
To heavy for me to carry around most of the times. But for certain occasions still to be used.

So also searched for a simple radio receiver that do match with the Godox X PRO-O transmitter to sync with these studio flashes.

Another matching Godox X1 receiver for the Olympus / Panasonic type unfortunately is not produced.
Because for me it mainly concerns an extra wireless flash control of the old-fashioned studio flash with 3.5 mm PC sync contact,
without extra electronic fine adjustments, I thought that it would also work with a different type of
Godox X1 receiver.

Godox X PRO-O (Olympus) transmitter   -   Godox X1R-C (Canon) receiver.
Tried with the X1 receiver type for Canon.      Successfully!
Correct channel and group set on both the Godox X PRO-O and Godox X1R-C
and a connected studio flash will fire if the transmitter is set to M or TTL.
With Off also neatly off (the studio flash does not respond).

The Godox X1R-C comes with 3 different types of sync cables, with another adapter plug to a thicker sync contact that was used in the past.
In addition to this option, I also checked whether a simple slide-on center contact accessory shoe with a sync cable responds in the same way.
And that also just works. This makes it fully functional with what I envision for wireless flash firing of other types of manual flashes.

Hopefully this information can be helpful for you and other Panasonic camera users.

Great to see that I can get the Panasonic cameras working with my Godox system with the O-Transmitter. Since TTL works I'm hoping that HSS will work as well with the XPro? Can you confirm that? I even wrote to Godox which transmitter to use and they couldn't tell.

But I'm quite baffled that we get the same lens mount but they couldn't agree on an alliance-wide compatible flash mount as well?

Me myself, personally I seldom make use as for HSS (High Speed Sync), as it need / take much flash power.
(Mostly I am using some kind of light shapers.  By that you do lose already flash power).

So I just did some tests by an indoor scene in the evening, and no use of light shapers.  Just the bare flash unit.

- Godox TT685-O flash directly connected to the camera, and using  "H" sync (= HSS)  by the flash sync button of the Godox flash.
   Lens:  Sigma 50mm/1.4  ---->  F 1.4   ---->  shutter speed used 1/800 sec.  =  Positive result !!     Evenly lighted picture.

- Godox X PRO-O transmitter connected to the camera, and  "H" sync (= HSS)  by the "SYNC" menu/button combo of Godox transmitter.
   (Godox TT685-O flash set to slave mode  &   held separated).
   Lens:  Sigma 50mm/1.4  ---->  F 1.4   ---->  shutter speed used 1/800 sec.  =  Positive result !!     Evenly lighted picture.

So confirmed HSS can be used by the Godox X PRO-O transmitter.

Edited by Babylonia
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Olympus FL-LM3 is working fine on my Panasonic S5II. Just needs small shoe modification. Flash is weather sealed, tiny, really convenient and takes power from camera pin. Flash shoe adjustment procedure  for Panasonic S5 is described on youtube.

Edited by mmiker