Jump to content

So what now becomes of the S lenses?


ropo54

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, LeicaR10 said:

Rob,  You may be well aware the S4 system is in development and should be arriving in 2025.  I have been told by Leica senior management the system is progressing very well.

"Je pense que Fujifilm a toujours été très fort dans le moyen format hybride. Nous, pour le moment, on arrête le S3, mais je pense qu’il y aura des projets pour un futur S4.Quand est-ce que ça arrivera ? Ce n’est pas demain, ce n’est pas dans un horizon proche. Je ne pense pas qu’on verra cela en 2024, je ne sais pas pour 2025, mais je sais que Leica a des projets en termes d’appareils photo hybrides dans le moyen format."

>>I think Fujifilm has always been very strong in hybrid medium format. For the moment, we are stopping S3, but I think there will be plans for a future S4. When will that happen? It's not tomorrow, it's not in the near future. I don't think we will see this in 2024, I don't know about 2025, but I know that Leica has plans in terms of mirrorless cameras in the medium format.

 

https://phototrend.fr/2023/10/interview-leica-salon-de-la-photo-2023/

 

https://phototrend.fr/2023/09/interview-dr-andreas-kaufmann-proprietaire-leica/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure how complicated it is, or how big the copyright issues are, but I think the main thing stopping the S lenses from rising in price is the lack of any third party adapters that can actuate the aperture or focus. If someone were to make an adapter that could communicate with a GFX, for example, I think there would be a pretty robust secondary market. It's not really in Leica's interest to do this, however, and there are probably few enough lenses in general to make it worth it for a company that specializes in these adapters.

I have to say, as someone with most of the S lenses and an SL2, I almost never use any of them on the SL2 since getting my main L mount lenses. The very large size, loud, slow focus and overall heft are not particularly appealing after having switched to the SL2. I imagine this might be an issue with an S4 mirrorless as well. If they do go that route, I suspect Leica might focus on making it a bit more compact in line with contemporary user expectations. That may impact the market a bit. Still, I am sure the S lenses will be a fraction of the price of whatever the new lenses cost, so they may well find more buyers. Optically, of course, they don't leave much to be desired.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

If someone were to make an adapter that could communicate with a GFX, for example, I think there would be a pretty robust secondary market. I

When I was in China, I talked to the Fringer people. They were not interested in manufacturing the S adapters,  because of the smallish  Leica  S market. My proposal to finance the RD and provide a camera was also rejected. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would rather keep the S lens cheap. 
Seriously, Contax 645 lenses are even cheaper these day. The C645 to GFX adapter does not make them price up. 
Along this line, which S lens is significantly better than the C645 counter part? I can see S 30mm and 30-90mm are without C645 equivalent. Other than those, which S?

Edited by Einst_Stein
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I would rather keep the S lens cheap. 
Seriously, Contax 645 lenses are even cheaper these day. The C645 to GFX adapter does not make them price up. 
Along this line, which S lens is significantly better than the C645 counter part? I can see S 30mm and 30-90mm are without C645 equivalent. Other than those, which S?

Contax lenses are very good but show their age, they do have a very beautiful character like the 80mm f2, but the Leica S lenses are a league above the Contax lenses in my opinion. Some lenses do make sense from Contax certainly for their price like the 80mm, the 140mm, the 120 Macro (which does 1:1) and ofc the tele lenses which are longer than Leica's own 180mm...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica S lenses are -for 60 MP- on par with the Schneider blue rings. It can be argued that the S lenses would not resolve just as well if the sensor had 150 MP. but both are above and beyond anything else in the market, including the old Contax lenses and the Fuji GFX ones -which for obvious reasons cost only a fraction of what a Schneider or S lens does-.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2023 at 2:51 PM, ynp said:

When I was in China, I talked to the Fringer people. They were not interested in manufacturing the S adapters,  because of the smallish  Leica  S market. My proposal to finance the RD and provide a camera was also rejected. 

I forgot to mention that the F-ger people said that the S lens adaptation to the GFX would be unreliable because of the floating elements in the lens moves independently. I don’t want to pretend that I understand that, but obviously they saw some technical difficulties with the S-GFX adapters. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ynp said:

I forgot to mention that the F-ger people said that the S lens adaptation to the GFX would be unreliable because of the floating elements in the lens moves independently. I don’t want to pretend that I understand that, but obviously they saw some technical difficulties with the S-GFX adapters. 

Don't really need AF TBH. Offering aperture control is all I need and will be the way I use S glass on S4. Leica S AF is lousy. I don't use it much even with native S body.  However, real focus ring than focus by wire are big plus. I haven't seen any focus by wire lens works to my manual focus standard yet.  

Edited by ZHNL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...