Do you Tripod or hand hold? - Poll

JumpStart

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't take pictures with my M8 at all, I just come here to complain :D

Sorry - I could not resist the temptation. So seriously, nearly everything handheld - I agree 1/8 s is feasible using 28 cron. Any comments on how far you can go with 50 - 90 mm lenses would be worth knowing. Presumably it scales so 1/16 for 50 and 1/24 for 90? Considering the (D)SLR rule of thumb, about 1/60 at 50 and 1/125 for 135, this is a major bonus for rangefinders.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mostly handheld, but have a Manfrotto table top tripod and a bean bag that get pressed into usage when I want to take a panorama or low light shot with >75mm, notably 90 mm.

I find that 35 and below can be handheld quite comfortably, 50 lux asph most of the time and above this it depends on light and amount of tolerance for >ISO 640

Huw

I do both, not sure what the percentage is. I use a Gitzo 1228 with the smallest RRS ball head, and the delayed release for most landscapes. I really enjoy working with the tripod and that ballhead for landscapes, shooting and adjusting to improve the shot.

Best,

Mitchell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Handheld - 90%

Rock - 5%

Monopod - 3%

Tripod - 2%

I use a tripod for some landscapes - but only in low light such as dusk. But I detest carrying the wretched thing so I often use a rock to steady the camera against. I should point out that I do not have a favourite rock that I carry with me. I often take a monopod if I know the light is going to be low (e.g. in a wood) and cannot be bothered to lug around the tripod (normal)

I really enjoy working with the tripod and that ballhead for landscapes, shooting and adjusting to improve the shot.

Same here. Plus, I like that it slows me down and allows multiple shots with the same framing but different DOF, bracketing, and selective focus.

John

Handheld for all people shots, but for landscape, architectural pics and scenes with excessive dynamic range, I employ a Gitzo tripod with Foba ballhead and bracket like mad. While one can create useful and interesting photos with handheld exposures as long as 1/4 second, those shots are not even close to rendering the sharp plane of focus that Leica lenses can paint with appropriate stability. At least with my own photo composition, I have discovered that if I slow down, frame with more forethought and employ a tripod & cable release and bracket exposures, then I am more apt to be pleased with the final image - and save great measures of time not having to spend hours correcting the image in Photoshop.

I use the small tripod and ballhead from Leica just in low light situation. Normally I don't use it. I think is very interesting how good works the small leica tripod used on the shoulder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

An example 640 iso and 1/11 seg with the small tripod on the shoulder.

Cheers

New lens, I test it with a tripod vs. hand held with the same shot. I have only shot 3 real photographs with the Leica Table top tripod(before I got the thumbs up). So, I would estimate 99.9% handheld. Since I purchased the Thumbs-up, I am able to hand hold to 1/4 sec. No real need for a pod so far.

Would like to add, if a job were to call for a pod, I would use one.

Almost all hand held. 99.5 %. I used the tripod mostly for outdoor macro (insects and flowers) which won't be happening now that the weather has turned.

I have a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod that I bought about 6 years ago. I think they stopped making it after a year or so. It was so small as to be useless for any of my other cameras. Was going to get rid it, but procrastinated. Glad I didn't because it's perfect for the M8.

I use the small tripod and ballhead from Leica just in low light situation. Normally I don't use it. I think is very interesting how good works the small leica tripod used on the shoulder.

[ATTACH]61361[/ATTACH]

An example 640 iso and 1/11 seg with the small tripod on the shoulder.

[ATTACH]61362[/ATTACH]

Cheers

Using the small tripod as a shoulder brace looks interesting, but I'm wondering if it makes it difficult to get your eye close to the viewfinder. It certainly seems to work well based on the image you posted.