Two overlooked gems: Brasov with Summitar 5o/2

kathala

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The bizarre ways of life have brought me to the Romanian town of Brasov, and to the Leica Summitar, the often unloved 5o/2 predecessor of the famous Summicron (not technically speaking an "M" lens, but I didn't know where to put it. It's definitely not "just" a collector's item or a piece of history!). A walk through the town, at the same time a test run with the Summitar, have shown me two rather overlooked gems - the town, with its charm and not-yet-disneyland restoration, as opposed to so many old towns. And the lens, with its charm, flaws and magic. 
Separation is surprisingly low for both a Leica* and a 5o/2, and centre sharpness seems optimal around f/5.6 whilst corner sharpness requires f/11, which already heavily diffracts the centre and still does not render the corners properly sharp. 
But look at that bokeh and character. The Summicron might be better technically. Yet I once owned a Summicron and sold it, finding it boring (blasphemy! bring on the stones!). I can't know the bizarre ways of life, but right now, I see no intention of ever selling the Summitar... 
*I once had an opportunity to compare the Noctilux 5o/1 to the Canon FD 5o/1.4, and at f/2 the Leica shows as much separation (i.e. shallow depth of field) as the FD at 1.4!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• Like 1