Q2/Q3 or Hasselblad X2D? Which do you choose?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Chris W said:

I paid just under £3,000 for my X1D2 and 45mm F4 in as new condition.

I had an SL and found it less easy to carry and use than the X1D2. The X1D2 is really just a slightly larger Q in ergonomics. Of course, if you are using anything other than the 45mm lens the game changes, but that was my main issue with the Q, I prefer 35mm native over 28mm.

Sorry, it seems X1D2 is not the same as X2D, isn't it ? 

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

Both? 😁

I have an X2D with several lenses including the 38v, but I just bought a Q3 for a couple of reasons: 1) it has a wider field of view than the 38v, which is just a bit longer than I like to shoot; 2) it's a little smaller and lighter than the X2D. For these two reasons, it will be great to take Q3 on trips where I would normally take the X2D and a couple of lenses. Also, for shooting family and friends and casual events, I would like eye-af, faster af, and smaller files (I will often use the 18mp files that won't fill up my hard drive as fast).

Otherwise the X2D is incredible.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Sorry, it seems X1D2 is not the same as X2D, isn't it ? 

I think it's because HB calls it the X1D II, not X1D2, denoting the second version of its first digital X camera. Roman, not Arabic numerals.

6 hours ago, luetz said:

VW vs Porsche which would you choose........not a fair comparison

Er . . . Porsche!  

Actually, my son drives a VW Golf and has a Hasselblad 907X.  I've just taken delivery of a Porsche Taycan and I have a Q2.  Go figure . . .

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bags27 said:

I think it's because HB calls it the X1D II, not X1D2, denoting the second version of its first digital X camera. Roman, not Arabic numerals.

Either way, the form factor is very similar - X1D and X2D, also Q, Q2 and Q3.

What you are getting with each iteration is an upgraded sensor, some extra features like IBIS, faster auto-focus etc.

I have never demoed an X2D or a Q3.

From having used a Q, M bodies (several), an SL, and an X1D II, with the 45mm lens the X1D II (and I would thing X2D) is extremely light and portable.

I think the Q series is one of the best cameras ever made, but preferring a 35mm lens and being able to change lenses, I personally much prefer the X series over the Q.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

X2D, without a doubt. I have a Q3 on order after playing with one but it’s for K. I don’t want another 28mm camera. I rarely use my Q2.

I can shoot the X2D with 55mm at 1/6th of a second and reliably. The IBIS is insane. Better than my already excellent SL2, even with the larger sensor. I can change lenses. I love the files. Two lenses in a hip bag and a third on the camera and I’m good.

The Q can never be my first choice. It has the wrong, albeit very very good, lens on it, for me.

Gordon

p.s The pixel pitch of the X2D and Q3 is exactly the same.

• Like 4

On 6/10/2023 at 4:13 AM, Chris W said:

Either way, the form factor is very similar - X1D and X2D, also Q, Q2 and Q3.

What you are getting with each iteration is an upgraded sensor, some extra features like IBIS, faster auto-focus etc.

I have never demoed an X2D or a Q3.

From having used a Q, M bodies (several), an SL, and an X1D II, with the 45mm lens the X1D II (and I would thing X2D) is extremely light and portable.

I think the Q series is one of the best cameras ever made, but preferring a 35mm lens and being able to change lenses, I personally much prefer the X series over the Q.

I hear you, got X2 recently, Leica made :)

Here is size and weight info.

https://camerasize.com/compact/#820,893.745,678.745,866.950,ha,f

Calling X1/2D with 45mm attached as extremely light, is kind of odd for over one kilo rig.

Portable, yea, if compared to press cameras. :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Yeah, but the fact is I own that rig. I've extensively used a Q, an M and had an SL for a few weeks. The X1D2 IS pretty light and due to the body shape, extremely easy to hold and carry. I found the SL unwieldy.

The extra bulk of the X1D2 over the Q (1, 2 or 3) is compensated by the flexible lens choices, as I wasn't a fan of 28mm as a native choice.

I just weighed mine 1100g inc battery. The Q3 is 743g. So the X1D is about 400 grams more, which in practice is not very much with the deep hand grip in the body design. No need for a 'thumbs up'.

Edited by Chris W
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris W said:

Yeah, but the fact is I own that rig. I've extensively used a Q, an M and had an SL for a few weeks. The X1D2 IS pretty light and due to the body shape, extremely easy to hold and carry. I found the SL unwieldy.

The extra bulk of the X1D2 over the Q (1, 2 or 3) is compensated by the flexible lens choices, as I wasn't a fan of 28mm as a native choice.

I just weighed mine 1100g inc battery. The Q3 is 743g. So the X1D is about 400 grams more, which in practice is not very much with the deep hand grip in the body design. No need for a 'thumbs up'.

Agree, Chris, in the scheme of things carrying the X1D II along with XCD 45 for a day is not a burden at all.   Is it bigger and heavier than the Q version. or Ko.Fe's new X2, sure!  But, it is a terrific option for those wanting to travel light with a minimal medium format package.  Hasselblad's form factor is superb and the XCD 45 is their version of a pancake lens, with great results.  (Ko.Fe should try one out in person!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Ko.Fe.:

I hear you, got X2 recently, Leica made :)

Here is size and weight info.

https://camerasize.com/compact/#820,893.745,678.745,866.950,ha,f

Calling X1/2D with 45mm attached as extremely light, is kind of odd for over one kilo rig.

Is the X2D that much bigger than the X1D or is the scaling not correct on that site? looking at the dimensions in the specs it looks off I think? 🤔

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb ropo54:

Thanks for this - I realize the X2D is bigger, but I still question the scale. I may be wrong, but if you align the edges of the lens mount ... (I know, not ideal with the attached lens on the X1D, but it looks off to me) 🤔

Edited by Alexander-HH
  • Like 1

X1Dii:

x2D:

• Thanks 2

This looks more realistic to me. If you visually align the strap lugs the difference to the other picture above is immediately visible:

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 5:31 AM, ropo54 said:

So, which way would you go? Q2/Q3 or Hasselblad X2D?

The Q shoots faster, but the X2D is greatly improved;

The Q is a fixed lens, while the X2D affords may options?

X2D is 100mpx medium format image.  Better dynamic range brings larger files.  

Both have image stabilization.

The X2D is slightly more expensive, particularly when factoring in several lenses

Landscape shooting?  Street shooting?  Portrait shooting?  Moving objects vs states objects?

If you could have one or the other, which would you choose? Pick your winner.

The Q having a fixed FL I don't like and never use, the choice is very easy for me 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought an X2D to play with while I wait for my Q3, and I'm in love.  The photos feel like you can walk into them, it feels great in the hand, and, with the right lens, carries very easily and comfortably.

Still looking forward to my Q3, but I'm definitely keeping the Hassy around, too!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, SantaFeSam said:

I bought an X2D to play with while I wait for my Q3, and I'm in love.  The photos feel like you can walk into them, it feels great in the hand, and, with the right lens, carries very easily and comfortably.

Still looking forward to my Q3, but I'm definitely keeping the Hassy around, too!

What lens were you using?

Tastes differ, and viva la difference! To my eye, that pop is what I'm trying to avoid, which is why I love many of the photos taken with this camera paired with old Hasselblad Zeiss glass, though there are limitations with that combo one must accept. For me, a lot of pop creates a distinction that is not how I view the world psychologically.

But I can well appreciate why others do very much love this type of rendering. In that way, this camera produces incredible images with beautiful background and perfectly natural colors.

And the kids couldn't be cuter!

• Like 2