Q2/Q3 or Hasselblad X2D? Which do you choose?

5 hours ago, ropo54 said:

So,  you did not find that the improved autofocus speed along with image stabilization in the X2D were sufficient improvements to warrant an upgrade?  

I never tried the X2D as it is out of my budget, like the Q3.

I don't need fast auto-focus. IBIS would be nice but not a deal breaker for me.

I'm comparing the Q platform to the Hasselblad X platform. The Q is one of the nicest cameras I've used, but I just couldn't get on with shooting 28mm all the time (despite the crop feature). The Hasselblad is surprisingly small and ergonomic (with the 45mm lens).

Both Q and X1D image quality are fantastic. I have recently owned an M240 and an SL (601) and prefer the Hasselblad to both. If the Q2 or Q3 had been 35mm or 50mm I would have jumped on one.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate the X2D for its design and output but the value equation doesn't work out for me the same way it does for the Q2 Reporter.  

Then again - I have a pretty good GFX100S kit for those 102mp moments.  :) 

I don't see anyone cross shopping the X2D/Q3 since you'd probably end up spending 4x what you'd spend on a Q2 on a Hassy kit.  

It would a matter of justifying having both.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, liggy said:

I appreciate the X2D for its design and output but the value equation doesn't work out for me the same way it does for the Q2 Reporter.  

Then again - I have a pretty good GFX100S kit for those 102mp moments.  :) 

I don't see anyone cross shopping the X2D/Q3 since you'd probably end up spending 4x what you'd spend on a Q2 on a Hassy kit.  

It would a matter of justifying having both.  

I've got a X1D II and just came across a nice deal on a Q2 that I did not pass up.  

Both are portable in their niches. (I use the 45P).

I know the Q2 focuses and snaps fairly quickly.  I've read that the X2D's AF is a big step up and now with image stabilization was wondering whether the competing systems may be more competitive with each other.  I'm considering selling my X1DII and Q2, to just go with the X2D.

(Why not?)

• Like 1

The X2D with the XCD 38 V lens (30mm equiv) seems a nice start, then adding the 90 V when it becomes available (71mm equiv) would be ideal.  Long term, adding the V versions of the 21mm and 135 (with converter) would complete the set.  At that point, I’d have reduced my M system to film and a monochrom with 3 M lenses …

Perhaps. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I briefly owned a Fuji GFX-R (for scanning; since moved to the Panasonic S1-R), I shot some outside pics with my M 50 Lux (modern version). There was no vignetting and the resolution was incredible. I've since discovered that Ming Thien declared it the best 35mm lens pairing with his HB X1D. 

So, if you have a "spare" 50 Lux lying around, give it a go. I'm hanging on to mine in case I do buy a Blad.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At the moment I use 2 M11 cameras (I don’t like to change lenses, so I use 28/2 or 35 apo and 50 apo), and I was planning to buy a Q3 for those rare occasions when I need autofocus (mainly for shooting my children). However, after I tried the X2D from my friend, I decided to sell one M11 and buy a Hasselblad (its color cannot be compared with any other camera, in my opinion)

• Like 3

I added an x2d with the 38 and 55 new v lenses several months ago.  Because of its lighter weight and changeable lenses with leaf shutters and ibis, it is my primary camera for outdoor lit environmental portraits where a phase one or Hassy H system used to be used.  I actually use it primarily one handed with a profoto b10 with 3’ octa in my left hand.  It is a revolutionary setup because of its weight, great autofocus lock-on and ibis with that sensor size.  

I am still waiting on the 90 v lens to arrive to complete the set.  Not sure I am interested in the older xcd lenses that are wider or longer than my 3 because weight really starts to go up.  The lighter weight is a huge selling point.  The color science is really the star with the camera.  I also like the ability to shoot with it in xpan crop mode at 50 mp.  

the x2d is a companion camera that I use with my sl2 setups primarily when I need the 100mp size in single shot vs multishot mode.  It feels like a Texas sized q3 but one where I can use longer focal lengths… and it has a back button focus capability.

I ordered a q3 for the smallest discrete  footprint with image stabilization and high iso / high mp options.  It does things a M simply cannot do.  This q3 will be perfectly paired with an sl2 or sl2-s with longer tele lens.  This combo also gives me matching batteries and chargers, and other matching user interface and look.  I also like the q3 cropped to 35mm framing and still having a lot of mp.  

What can the q3 not do for me instead of the x2d?  - longer focal lengths with leaf shutters for outdoor strobe use primarily is the x2d main benefit.  I’ll take a q3 tele version (50mm) if they ever make it.. which might change the balance toward q3.  I’m also not convinced that the 28 1.7 lens can compete with the new v lenses at this highest resolution.  The xcd lenses are extremely sharp even wide open.

I’ll pick the best tool for the project at hand.  I think both x2d and q3 are needed in my toolbox to go with my sl2 and sl2-s.

Robb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, ropo54 said:

So, which way would you go? Q2/Q3 or Hasselblad X2D?

The Q shoots faster, but the X2D is greatly improved;

The Q is a fixed lens, while the X2D affords may options?

X2D is 100mpx medium format image.  Better dynamic range brings larger files.  

Both have image stabilization.

The X2D is slightly more expensive, particularly when factoring in several lenses

Landscape shooting?  Street shooting?  Portrait shooting?  Moving objects vs states objects?

If you could have one or the other, which would you choose? Pick your winner.

"Slightly more expensive"

Hasselblad X2D 100C Medium Format Mirrorless Camera, which is $8,199.00.

Hasselblad XCD 38mm f/2.5 V Lens is $3,699.00.

Total is 11,898.00. For some next to unknown on performance 1.2 kilograms. 

Leica Q3 is 5,995.00.

And total weight is 0.66 kilograms. Two times less than Hassel thing. 

I think you are truing to compare something completely different.  

But since you have asked... For 1.2 kilograms rig I rather go with SL2-S and Sigma lenses.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

"Slightly more expensive"

Hasselblad X2D 100C Medium Format Mirrorless Camera, which is $8,199.00.

Hasselblad XCD 38mm f/2.5 V Lens is $3,699.00.

Leica Q3 is 5,995.00.

But since you have asked... For 1.2 kilograms rig I rather go with SL2-S and Sigma lenses.

A pre-owned X2D (when they pop up) will sell in the range of $7000.  Add a 45P pre-owned for $750 and your system cost is $7750 (versus $6000 for a new Q3).

The 45P is equivalent to 35mm in full frame format, and with 100 mpx, one can factor in more resolute cropped images (in the same way as the Q3 enables from 28mm-90mm).  

So, IMO a comparison today of the X2D versus the Q3 is not so far-fetched. (And, with the X2D one has the flexibility of a multi-lens system).

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, dancook said:

IBIS in the X2D is amazing! ( i also like a flip screen, having had the 907 was glad it came to the x2D and it's sleek too ..compared to the Q3) - The IBIS make the 135mm wrkable at much lower shutterspeeds

Created this from a series of hand held photos taken at 0.5 seconds, and I was a little inebriated with it..

I have the X2D with 38V and 80 and the Q3 - whilst the new V lenses have faster AF then the original lenses, it's still a bit slow for documentary style images - though I have used it for evening wedding photos and live music.

the XCD 80 is slow and generally for energetic live music the X2D can be frustrating, but I enjoy the quality of the output and the RAW files hold up to so much.

https://gallery.danielcook.com/follower-thestar/

https://gallery.danielcook.com/fallenangelopenmic/

https://gallery.danielcook.com/gtlivebritannia-3/

Time will tell if the Q3 replaces the 38V - if it does then I'll use it as an opportunity to get the XCD 21 :)

Then I have .. interiors @ 21, Q3 for documentary/street and 80 for portrait stuff.

Dan,

That is an awesome image. Excellent planning and execution in spite of a little liquid destabilization. 👏👏👏

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Haha 3

I haven’t used either camera yet but I can’t see myself going with a X2D. The main reason I ordered the Q3 is size to performance ratio along with the simple and premium feel. The X2D is simply too big and with the slower small glass it’s really not appealing to me. 45mm F4 is small but F4 is F4. I rather have 28mm 1.7.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Leica Q3 is 5,995.00.

I paid just under £3,000 for my X1D2 and 45mm F4 in as new condition.

I had an SL and found it less easy to carry and use than the X1D2. The X1D2 is really just a slightly larger Q in ergonomics. Of course, if you are using anything other than the 45mm lens the game changes, but that was my main issue with the Q, I prefer 35mm native over 28mm.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Miltz said:

I haven’t used either camera yet but I can’t see myself going with a X2D. The main reason I ordered the Q3 is size to performance ratio along with the simple and premium feel. The X2D is simply too big and with the slower small glass it’s really not appealing to me. 45mm F4 is small but F4 is F4. I rather have 28mm 1.7.

Additionally from an image quality standpoint I shoot a lot at night. I know the X2D sensor is amazing but with the 45mm F4 compared to the 28mm F1.7 I except the Q3 is be way ahead in low light. That’s a massive difference in low light gathering that I don’t expect the sensor to overcome. If the X2D had something like a 40mm 2.8 that’s small then it becomes much more appealing. The other aspect is I except to shoot the Q3 in the medium DNG and use 36megapixels for most of the stuff, 60 for when I know I’m going to make a big print. 100 is way too much. Ultimately I don’t feel the systems are really comparable and each have their place. I am very happy that the Q3 has increased image quality despite going with more megapixels. 

One of the most amazing things I've seen with the X2D is blown highlight recovery. Beyond the simple fact that it apparently has the widest dynamic range of any camera in production, its ability to make usable RAW files from ones that seem absolutely black and, conversely, absolutely white is just amazing. You can google those YouTubes. Between the extraordinary elasticity of the files, the 7 stops of IBIS (although some studies are showing it's a bit less than that), and, IMO, the best color science of any camera in production (now that the S is between models), makes for a really impressive camera. If you like that sort of thing. 🙂 

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

No doubt at all: the X2D (and as mentioned before with the 45P lens). Fantastic colors, very handy, beautiful, easy to handle. I do not care about the slower AF in comparison to the Q3. So in my opinion, no chance for the Q3. But I think these are also two totally different cameras and difficult to compare

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me it would not be a question of the x2d vs the q, but more vs the sl.

the sl3 will be only slightly cheaper whereas the lenses are slightly more expensive. 

next to that, the x2d plus 24mm (ff view) is available right now, whereas the sl3 and 24mm far away.

within two weeks I will be doing ten days of long exposure seascapes and those 10 days will be deciding which system will be suitable for me.

• Thanks 1

It is an interesting comparison - Q3 v X2D:

• 60 MP v 100 MP, X2D with BSI sensor - into that you must factor pixel pitch (the XCD pixels are larger, with all that entails)
  • X2D has 5 axis IBIS
  • both have tilting LCDs
  • Q3 does video
  • the X2D is bigger,
  • Q3 has wireless charging
  • both leaf shutter lenses max 1/2000, but X2D will expose up to 1 hour, to Q3 2 minutes
  • the Q3 lens has macro
  • Q3 lens 28/1.7 v XCD 38/2.5 (30/2 full frame equivalent)

There are other comparators, if you dive into the detail. The biggest difference, I would say, it how the camera feels in the hand, and that the X2D is a fully developed system camera.  I had the X1D II and without doubt it was the best camera in the hand I have ever picked up. With the new XCD 38/2.5 V lens, I doubt there is any difference in lens quality, speed or field of view.

If the quality of the raw files is your thing, there’s really only one choice - bigger pixels always win.  Both have huge files (MP), but that’s just the way the world is heading - more cropping, if that’s your thing.  In-camera cropping and pixel binning with the Q3, if that’s your thing.   I prefer the raw file processed in post.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ropo54 said:

A pre-owned X2D (when they pop up) will sell in the range of $7000.  Add a 45P pre-owned for $750 and your system cost is $7750 (versus $6000 for a new Q3).

The 45P is equivalent to 35mm in full frame format, and with 100 mpx, one can factor in more resolute cropped images (in the same way as the Q3 enables from 28mm-90mm).  

So, IMO a comparison today of the X2D versus the Q3 is not so far-fetched. (And, with the X2D one has the flexibility of a multi-lens system).

How come we are comparing used and with not even matching focal length. For used you have to compare it with Q2 which is again twice difference. 

Again, if you need 100 mp here is nothing wrong with used Fujifilm dMF. I know professional who even went for new Fujifilm and has no issues with 100mp and huge prints. Why pay more for some rare brand....