Q2/Q3 or Hasselblad X2D? Which do you choose?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, which way would you go? Q2/Q3 or Hasselblad X2D?

The Q shoots faster, but the X2D is greatly improved;

The Q is a fixed lens, while the X2D affords may options?

X2D is 100mpx medium format image.  Better dynamic range brings larger files.  

Both have image stabilization.

The X2D is slightly more expensive, particularly when factoring in several lenses

Landscape shooting?  Street shooting?  Portrait shooting?  Moving objects vs states objects?

If you could have one or the other, which would you choose? Pick your winner.

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

The Q never interested me because it's larger than an M with many disadvantages over the M. Now PDAF is changing things for moving objects but it doesn't work as well as in the S5 II. The X2D AF is very slow and I find the colors sometimes a bit over the top. There is an X2D image thread on fredmiranda. The colors OOC may appeal to some. I'd love to compare the color output of the X2D with the S3. The S3 colors OOC are just perfect for my taste. The X2D with the S3 sensor and Leica lenses would be a dream. It's called the mirrorless S4, I think. I'd bridge the time until the S4 comes out with an S5 II or an SL3.

Colors can be made to look identical in post. See here X1D II compared to SL2. Colors in 'angel with a candle' are a bit richer for the X1D II but S5 II/SL3 has/will have much faster AF: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-s7N2tR/i-K5qppnw/A

S5 II with the 90SL and 35SL is better than a Q IMO. The menu is a pain on LUMIX cameras but the high ISO output and the very fast AF of the S5 II compensate for it. These are with the two SL lenses on the SL2 https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-3STNss/

• Like 2

I think the Q3 an X2D are on opposite sides of the spectrum as much as any camera can be. How would you compare a Harley Davidson and a Porsche even if they would cost almost the same?

Take the Q3 if you like 28mm focal length and FF, or if you want very good performance for the money. If you also want to shoot more at 40mm and longer it seems less ideal because you would need to invest in a second expensive body like M11 or SL2 to do that.

Look at M11, SL2(-S) or X2D range for top performance over a much wider range of applications and FL.

M and Q compete for size and compactness

X2D  and SL2, SL3? will compete for studio work, total flexibility and quality, tripod applications, ... any pro or perfectionist amateur application. It will cost more and is slower and heavier but they can operate in area's where no one would consider a Q3 IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Both are objects of desire but limited in their uses and applications. Life at 28mm is fine for holiday snaps and reportage but not that good for anything else. X2D is hampered by lack of zooms and longish lenses (as are most MF systems) that also limit it as an all round system. Both are niche cameras for folk willing to accept a lot of compromises. Whilst aesthetics, ergonomics and image quality count for a lot, if there are things you need to do and can't then a camera soon becomes an irritation rather than a pleasure.

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In a way I have been through this decision.

Firstly, I would choose the Q2 over the Q3 every day. Q2 is enough.

Secondly, I didn't want to be stuck with 28mm, so I ended up buying an X1D2. Again, that is enough, most people don't need the X2D.

With the superb 45mm F4 lens, the X1D2 is actually quite small and portable. I prefer it to the Leica SL I owned.

So for me, it would be Hasselblad.....it is Hasselblad. Of course I might never be able to afford the other XCD lenses, which are also much bigger. But I've always preferred 35mm (equivalent) lens as an everyday shooter.

• Like 3

"The X2D is slightly more expensive, particularly when factoring in several lenses" ..... am I reading this right?

As far as I can see, an X2D with a 55V/2.5 comes down to roughly 13'000,- compared to the 6'000,- Q3 ..... and even without factoring in the price difference, I find the comparison a little bizarre. Unless I'm missing the whole point here of course, which is entirely possible :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thighslapper said:

Both are objects of desire but limited in their uses and applications. Life at 28mm is fine for holiday snaps and reportage but not that good for anything else. X2D is hampered by lack of zooms and longish lenses (as are most MF systems) that also limit it as an all round system. Both are niche cameras for folk willing to accept a lot of compromises. Whilst aesthetics, ergonomics and image quality count for a lot, if there are things you need to do and can't then a camera soon becomes an irritation rather than a pleasure.

Very nicely said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I sold out of the X1D largely because it was like carrying a microwave around on my hip, the AF was frustrating as hell, the lenses were huge and, ultimately the 135 format provided a nice balance between wide (where MF excels) and long (where APS-C is very good). I was committed to the M system, and the lens options are fantastic.

I have an original silver chrome Monochrom (which I love), an M10-D (which I suspect will be the last M camera without an LCD) and a black paint M-A.  I don’t get the M11 and where it is taking the M system (incomplete, half-baked and problematic).  I also decided some years ago that I would not buy another digital M (the M10-D was a weak moment).

So, I’m a medium format guy at heart.  Time to sell down my Leica gear, and move back into the Hasselblad X system with the X2D and new V lenses.   The only M camera I will replace is the Monochrom.

I like the idea of the Q cameras, but when some cheap, poorly specified and badly made electronic component dies (think Smith electronics in English cars and previous Leica digital cameras), your camera and lens will be dead.  Leica has a track record which is inconsistent with its price and heritage. 

I’ll stick with what I have. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chris W said:

In a way I have been through this decision.

Firstly, I would choose the Q2 over the Q3 every day. Q2 is enough.

Secondly, I didn't want to be stuck with 28mm, so I ended up buying an X1D2. Again, that is enough, most people don't need the X2D.

With the superb 45mm F4 lens, the X1D2 is actually quite small and portable. I prefer it to the Leica SL I owned.

So for me, it would be Hasselblad.....it is Hasselblad. Of course I might never be able to afford the other XCD lenses, which are also much bigger. But I've always preferred 35mm (equivalent) lens as an everyday shooter.

So,  you did not find that the improved autofocus speed along with image stabilization in the X2D were sufficient improvements to warrant an upgrade?  

IBIS in the X2D is amazing! ( i also like a flip screen, having had the 907 was glad it came to the x2D and it's sleek too ..compared to the Q3) - The IBIS make the 135mm wrkable at much lower shutterspeeds

Created this from a series of hand held photos taken at 0.5 seconds, and I was a little inebriated with it..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have the X2D with 38V and 80 and the Q3 - whilst the new V lenses have faster AF then the original lenses, it's still a bit slow for documentary style images - though I have used it for evening wedding photos and live music.

the XCD 80 is slow and generally for energetic live music the X2D can be frustrating, but I enjoy the quality of the output and the RAW files hold up to so much.

https://gallery.danielcook.com/follower-thestar/

https://gallery.danielcook.com/fallenangelopenmic/

https://gallery.danielcook.com/gtlivebritannia-3/

Time will tell if the Q3 replaces the 38V - if it does then I'll use it as an opportunity to get the XCD 21 :)

Then I have .. interiors @ 21, Q3 for documentary/street and 80 for portrait stuff.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The only reason I would take a Q3 over even a Ricoh GRIIIx is so I could sell the Q and buy the Ricoh and then go on a trip. The major problem is the lens. Too wide even for my wide days.

I guess I'd take the X2D, but I do see it as overkill. I wanted more and better MP for years until 40-50 happened some years ago. Since then, no need. I do have a 907x that I'm quite happy with. When paired with the 45mm pancake it's an amazingly small form/IQ combo - if different from a Leica. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The X2D with two lenses would be a perfect set to me, instead both the Q and the SL, for doing long exposure and landscape. However, for dance (which I want to do) I guess I will miss a longer lens. 

it is a tough call though.

• Thanks 1

I was just thinking, the SL lenses would produce 64 MP on a mirrorless S4 if it came with 100 MP and 41 MP if Leica decided to use the 64 MP S3 sensor. Leica could decide to use a custom sensor, though, and put a cutdown version of it in the SL3 first. 

• Like 1

I'm entirely film, but I'm not ignorant of the advantages of digital. I study digital images a lot. I'd want a camera that's biased toward landscape and a more organic "filmic" rendering.

Of current cameras (I include the S, even though it's between models currently)

Tops to my eye is the Leica S system.

Then comes the X2D especially when paired with older V Zeiss glass (which creates other significant difficulties, but the rendering is wonderful)

Then the M 11 sometimes, and only sometimes, but especially with the 50 Cron APO. 

But I'm still holding out for a Foveon FF L mount. By the end of this year, we'll likely know whether or not it's ever going to happen.

OTOH, I have the X2D in a cart right now.... 🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ropo54 said:

So, which way would you go? Q2/Q3 or Hasselblad X2D?

The Q shoots faster, but the X2D is greatly improved;

The Q is a fixed lens, while the X2D affords may options?

X2D is 100mpx medium format image.  Better dynamic range brings larger files.  

Both have image stabilization.

The X2D is slightly more expensive, particularly when factoring in several lenses

Landscape shooting?  Street shooting?  Portrait shooting?  Moving objects vs states objects?

If you could have one or the other, which would you choose? Pick your winner.

Slightly more expensive?  With the 55mm lens is twice the price of the Q3.  $8200 vs $16,500....Love to own one..

• Like 3