One version of each focal length?

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Noctilux listed 🥲

Be brave. The only thing you’ll miss about the noctilux is the pride of ownership. 

I was having tea with King Charles yesterday afternoon, he told me he doesn’t wear his crown around the house any more because it’s heavy and it gets on his tits.

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

Liquidate, liquidate, liquidate ......

Get rid of anything you don't use regularly. 

Once I made that decision I haven't regretted anything I have parcelled up and sent to MPB. 

My only remaining Leica gear is an M10M, 50/2 apo, 28/2 and 75/2 .... plus the noctilux more as an investment .... and because I could never justify buying it again if I wanted to. 

All the itches have been thoroughly scratched ..... M9, M9-P, Monochrom, M, M-P, M246, X-Vario, CL, T, Q, SL, SL2 and the full range of lenses for each system, so the search for 'camera perfection' and shiny toys has been pretty well exorcised. 

The recycled cash has been put into boring Fuji stuff that does what I need and I don't have the slightest hesitation in selling on bits that I don't use much. 

My only aberration has been a mint Nikon FM3a that I bumped into last week at a good price so I'm heading down the rabbit hole of film for a while ...... :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

My only aberration has been a mint Nikon FM3a that I bumped into last week at a good price so I'm heading down the rabbit hole of film for a while ...... :rolleyes:

Resistance is futile .....

• Haha 1

I think a modern and a classic lens for each focal length makes sense. More than that is usually redundant. I doubt if people can see much difference in the images of their five (or more) versions of the same focal length. And you probably don't need all the focal lengths either.

But of course, if you can afford it, there are many temptations. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgk said:

Like many things in life there is a 'blance' to be sought. Too many lenses probably means that few, if any, will really get the use they deserve and you are unlikely to 'learn' their finer characteristics as well as you might do. So I'm a believer in whittling down to a really usable set. At the moment I have 21/35(2)/50/75/90(2) & 135 M lenses (8 all told) which is too many. But I do use most, a lot. The least used are the 50 and 135. And I've disposed of some (35 Summliux pre-asph. & 75 Summilux) because, nice as they were, I didn't actually find them as satisfying as I do more modern lenses (heresy!). I occasionally miss them but not enough to want to buy another. So I'm with you on this but I would suggest that you apply a little caution and make sure you keep the lenses which give you most pleasure from both using them and from their results. If I HAD to I could live with 3 M lenses, but that said I don't really want to. And I'm happy to have duplicates where one of the two is cheap (for Leica) and not tying up huge amounts of money which might e more enjoyably spent elsewhere.

And, FWIW, I still own, use and enjoy my M9s. If this changed I will re-evaluate which to move to in future but they are still lovely cameras to use and I enjoy using them. My SL has gone because it didn't fit into this requirement, excellent camera though it is. Determining what it is that makes photography a pleasure is not really about owning lots, its about owning and using the equipment which gives you most pleasure (and in my case certainly not about owning one 'do everything' fixed focal lens which I can crop - this would give me no pleasure at all.

Yeah, with you on that, Paul. 

I’ll keep the TL2 and the two TL lenses, and move the SL and lenses on.

I can’t face selling the M10-D, also keeping the Monochrom & M-A cameras, and pondering the 35 Summilux (pre-asph) and the 28 Summaron. Keeping the 75 Summilux, 50 Summilux ASPH  & APO, 35 APO and 28 & 21 Summiluxes. 

Contemplating using the proceeds to go back into MF.

• Like 1

My theory has always been a maximum of four lenses for a system. If you just cover events and wedding, a good zoom is more than enough, but the M system doesn't work like that and my theory is useless because of GAS. I own a 24mm elmar, 35 & 50 summiluxes, CV 75 nokton 1.5 and 90mm summicron (11136). Would love to add a second 50mm, maybe the Nokton f1, but it is not a need at all. 

When Leica releases the SL3, I'll get one and stick with just a couple of AF lenses, maybe 28 + 50 apos or 50 + 90 or even 50 + sigma art 85. The rest will be covered via M to L adapter, and then someone could claim that certain FLs are duplicated. 

Edited by fededuran

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, PeterGA said:

Tough decision, one I have been considering for years myself....😂

Yeah, it is a phenomenal lens.  I could keep it and sell the Summilux, but …

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Be brave. The only thing you’ll miss about the noctilux is the pride of ownership. 

I was having tea with King Charles yesterday afternoon, he told me he doesn’t wear his crown around the house any more because it’s heavy and it gets on his tits.

I think this is true. I’ve loved using it, but the is Summilux actually as good, without the extra stops. 

1 hour ago, evikne said:

I think a modern and a classic lens for each focal length makes sense. More than that is usually redundant. I doubt if people can see much difference in the images of their five (or more) versions of the same focal length. And you probably don't need all the focal lengths either.

But of course, if you can afford it, there are many temptations. 😉

That’s where I’m heading.  

The only focal length I’m ambivalent about is 35mm.  I like the wides (21 & 28) for their drama and extreme depths of field! 50 is the M system happy place and 75 is a lovely portrait lens. Old - 28 Summaron; 35 Summilux pre-asph (as you’ve shown); and 75 Summilux - the last two have that lovely combination of soft and sharp Mandler did so well. 

The rest are lovely modern Leica lenses. A good combination, I think.

I’ve kept my film M-A & SWC, and am looking at the new X2D and V lenses from Hasselblad. I sold my X1D II as I felt over extended, but I do miss medium format. I photographed my niece’s wedding with that camera, and despite fighting with the AF, the resulting images were the most popular, and I was pleased with them. It’s an itch I still have to scratch.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

...I think this is true. I’ve loved using it, but the is Summilux actually as good, without the extra stops. 

I found the c-sonnar, v5 summicron, elmar-m f2.8 and Heliar Classic f1.5 much more to my liking than the v5 noctilux f1 I bought new a couple of months before it was discontinued

Bought it, not a lens for me, sold it as the majority inevitably do.  Worth a try, though.

• Like 2

I've never owned more than one FL lens at a time for any system, nor felt a need. Usually I own a 35 and a 50 (or equivalent-ish) - with the occasional short tele that gets used a few times a year. I tend to shoot a 50, but I have entertained picking up a 40mm because 35mm is slightly wide for me most of the time but after 10 years I'm still resisting.  With M's my 50 summicron V5 and 35mm asph have been just dandy for years. 

If I'm debating between a vintage or modern look for my pictures then I've already lost sight of the work I'm trying to do. If anything I ever do succeeds or fails on the character of the lens, well shit, that's on me. If a viewer looks at a body of work and is drawn to that over the content of the picture itself then the content is too weak and it's a photo that probably needs to be dustbinned. 

The nice thing is when you have one lens you get to know it well and there becomes a built in consistency in your images over time - again - that's fun, but it shouldn't play in to the work succeeding or not. 

Edited by pgh
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

For about 40 years I only had 3 M lenses: 35 & 50 Summicrons and 90 fat TE, and was happy with them using both M 4 & 6 bodies. Then I started reading on line forums…

That must've been a great 40 Years !    In my case I didn't have any M lenses for 40 years.  Then I started reading on line forums .....🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Want vs need, the old conundrum. I've vascillated between an overabundance of lenses & cameras and resorted to only one, just to begin the cycle over and over. I think its inherent in our genes to accumulate more than we actually need. Good luck in your endeavor!

• Like 1

For decades I never felt the need/want of more than one lens in a particular focal length. Choices were more about which format — large, medium or small  depending on the job or personal project. I doubt very much that too many photographers, and zero viewers, could identifying the taking lens of any individual photographic print. In film days, my largest cash outlay was always for film, paper and darkroom chemicals, not on camera or lenses. Bu, if a variety of lenses are what one wants, then that is also just fine. Just make sure you print your image, otherwise it does not exist; and if only saving digital, get an iPhone.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rtai said:

The tyranny of choice. “What lenses should I bring for Venice?” No need to ask if you only have 3 lenses. Life was simpler when only photography itself mattered.

You mean in the XIXth century? Just kidding but i don't see a significant difference between today and 30+ years ago personally. Leica cameras and lenses were not the same but were expensive anyway.

8 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

is this for real? 😂

this thread is interesting, and very rare... might help me to decide selling another of my lens

Edited by jakontil

"Having multiple lenses of the same focal length is not necessary for most photographers, as it can be redundant and costly. However, there are a few scenarios where having multiple lenses of the same focal length could be beneficial:

1. Backup and redundancy: Professional photographers who rely heavily on their equipment may choose to have multiple lenses of the same focal length as a backup in case one lens fails or requires servicing. This ensures they can continue shooting without interruptions.

2. Different lens characteristics: In some cases, photographers may prefer to have different lenses of the same focal length with different characteristics. For example, one lens may have a wider maximum aperture for low-light situations, while another lens of the same focal length may offer superior image stabilization or other features.

3. Specialized use cases: Some photographers who specialize in a specific genre or have unique shooting requirements may find it beneficial to have multiple lenses of the same focal length. For instance, wildlife photographers might use multiple telephoto lenses of the same focal length with varying optical characteristics or maximum apertures.

4. Working in different locations or situations: If you frequently shoot in different environments or situations, having duplicate lenses with the same focal length could allow you to have specific lenses permanently mounted on multiple camera bodies, reducing the need for frequent lens changes.

It's important to assess your specific needs, shooting style, and budget before considering multiple lenses of the same focal length."

-- ChatGPT, June 2023