Is there a new Summilux-M 35mm coming soon?

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's close to a year since Leica sent the vers. 2 of the Summilux-M 35mm ASPH FLE on the market, and I have seen speculations back then wondering whether it was Leica's attempt to squeeze the last drops out of their first Summilux-M 35mm ASPH FLE.

Does anyone in this forum have a qualified answer to whether there is new and remake of the Summilux-M 35mm hitting the market somewhere in near future?

(I am asking because I am about to buy me a Summilux 35mm right now, but if there is a totally new coming soon, I can wait.)

Edited by BjarniM

8 minutes ago, BjarniM said:

Does anyone in this forum have a qualified answer to whether there is new and remake of the Summilux-M 35mm hitting the market somewhere in near future?

If there is they will not be saying.

What deficiencies in the current lens would you want to see improved?

1 minute ago, pedaes said:

If there is they will not be saying.

What deficiencies in the current lens would you want to see improved?

Nothing particular. I am just putting a feeler out before letting go of a fear amount of money in case there is a new version on the stairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BjarniM said:

Nothing particular. I am just putting a feeler out before letting go of a fear amount of money in case there is a new version on the stairs.

Then,

buying the lens right now (if available) I see the benefit of  using the lens in place of waiting "better ?" lens

• Like 2

Dare I also say that lenses are a 'mature technology'? I see very little, 'real world' improvement that can be made to many, especially fixed focal length lenses. Any updates will be merely nuances.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pgk said:

Dare I also say that lenses are a 'mature technology'? I see very little, 'real world' improvement that can be made to many, especially fixed focal length lenses. Any updates will be merely nuances.

With a huge price increase out of proportion to the improvements.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, BjarniM said:

I don't think there are any new lenses coming in the near future because they take a long time to develop. On the other hand, I feel that the latest 35 and 50mm close-focus Summiluxes are only a kind of "intermediate stage" before the "fifth generation" Leica lenses that were supposed to be shrunk in size. The latest lenses that have been launched now are not particularly small and do not offer much new, other than a couple of extra aperture blades and a shorter MFD.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 2

vor 5 Stunden schrieb BjarniM:

It's close to a year since Leica sent the vers. 2 of the Summilux-M 35mm ASPH FLE on the market, ...

That statement in itself provides an answer to your question. I cannot recall Leica ever introducing a successor to any given lens after such a short production period. Rather, Leica is known for making and selling their individual lenses for long periods of time, sometimes for many decades, witness the current Summicron-M 50 (non apo) lens, that has been around since 1979 without any significant modification if I am correct. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lct said:

Summilux 35/1.4 FLE v1 (11663) was from 2010, FLE v2 (11726) is from 2022, so i would not expect a FLE v3 until 2030 at least.

+1

These are not special editions of the previous lenses or some sort of short-term update. These are the new lenses.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Short after the 50mm Summilux did hit the market, I did read an article (I can't remember where it was) that there was dirt/grease-marks inside the new 50mm Summilux.

Does anyone here know if there has been some matters/cases with the new Summilux-M 35mm with regards to this?

30 minutes ago, BjarniM said:

Short after the 50mm Summilux did hit the market, I did read an article (I can't remember where it was) that there was dirt/grease-marks inside the new 50mm Summilux.

Does anyone here know if there has been some matters/cases with the new Summilux-M 35mm with regards to this?

I think you are a bit over concerned and anyway you can never be 100% sure that the lens you buy is free of defects, even if it is brand new. But in that case, just return it and ask for it to be fixed or get a new copy.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BjarniM said:

Never heard of such stories about either lens. The Leica QC is not perfect but if such a case happens you'd be entitled to a refund or a replacement.

6 hours ago, insomnia said:

Where are you going with this? :D

I am about to buy the new version of the Summilux-M 35mm, and I just want to be sure the quality (and qc) is living up to Leica-standards, since I am going to use a decent amount of money on the lens.

Hence I want to feel more 'sure' and safe.