M6 Back Door

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica M I purchased years ago suffered from paint blistering. I finally got around to having this problem fixed with all affected parts replaced.

Leica could not locate a back door to replace the one on said camera.

Any help out there?

Tank you in advance.

Derek

Paint blistering? I suppose you mean blistering of the chrome? 

I have never seen that happen to the back door. Do you want to change it for cosmetic reasons now the other parts have been replaced?

Anyway. With a little patience you can probably find a new-old-stock door on ebay.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:58 AM, kesse0 said:

Hi all:

I own a Classic Leica M6 and the backdoor lost one of the small black dots in the upper right corner. Could you say me where  to buy it? 

Thank you very much indeed...

Like this ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

MP/M-A more reliable paint on door

lost ?

Strange, as these "dots" are made of synthetic material and they are fixed with each a hole in the door.

If there is no hole, I'd just use the M6.

Another option is replace the door.

It is not a real hole, just a recession. No big issue if such a rubber pad is missing, I lost one at my M6 around 30 years ago, the camera still works fine...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Like this ?

MP/M-A more reliable paint on door

lost ?

Strange, as these "dots" are made of synthetic material and they are fixed with each a hole in the door.

If there is no hole, I'd just use the M6.

Another option is replace the door.

Yes,  mate, I lost the upper right black dot..... thank you for answering 🙂 I guess it is difficult to find not expensive replacements.

17 hours ago, AndreasG said:

It is not a real hole, just a recession. No big issue if such a rubber pad is missing, I lost one at my M6 around 30 years ago, the camera still works fine...

I am using it. It is more cosmetic than  technical issue, but I would like to keep the M6 as good as I can.. 🙂

I make my own by stamping out a circle from 60 or 80 thou" black plastic card using an old broken drill of the same diameter hit with a hammer. The stamped out plastic card circle forms a natural dome on the opposite side. Put something pliable underneath such as a cutting mat or thick card to allow the drill bit to go through the plastic.

Sorry I forgot the fact.

For too many years, since M4 period, yes these rubber bumps are glued on the metal.

On newer MP/M-A , more complex solution with durable rubber/plastic which cross the door drlled holes.

Asked the repairer told me the purpose of this small circles, not to mark the rim of the body above it when users open the door to load film.

As side note, when one (on M4/M6) bumper was lost, I put a drop of glue to fill the "bumper" function.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Did you ask the Leica Service for a replacement part? Since the rubber pad is also used for the new M6 I guess that the sell it as spare part.

Yes, I did. I wrote them yesterday but I have had no answer at the moment. Keep waiting for it.

At least, they answered me. They were so kind with me and they said they are going to send me that stuff for free. If it is true I will tell you when I receive  the black dot. If it is not true, I will say that the dream was beautiful 😉

On 6/15/2023 at 10:08 AM, kesse0 said:

At least, they answered me. They were so kind with me and they said they are going to send me that stuff for free. If it is true I will tell you when I receive  the black dot. If it is not true, I will say that the dream was beautiful 😉

A few years back, I lost the screw for the rewind knob and they sent me three for free.  Leica is really nice in that regard!

• 2 weeks later...