Setting M-9 for Black and White

steveberger55

Welcome to the Forum

In the menu set 'Colour Saturation' to B&W, Compression to 'DNG and Jpeg', 'Resolution' to what you want your Jpeg file to be and that's it from memory. The DNG(RAW) is obviously full res and full colour information.

I think you will find review images on rear screen will be B&W, and you have no option about this if you want B&W jpegs. 

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, steveberger55 said:

is greyed out

OK. With the camera on, press the 'Set' button and this will bring up the second menu. Under "Compression'', if you scroll to 'DNG and Jpeg fine' and press set again, you will now find Jpeg settings available in main menu.

This is an excellent guide to the M9, https://www.overgaard.dk/leica-M9-digital-rangefinder-camera.html or happy to answer questions here. It is a great camera!

22 hours ago, steveberger55 said:

I'm new

Not sure if you are new to M9, but one important tip is to use 'slow' SD cards. The M9 can not handle current/fast cards. See Thorstens advice on best speed and cards in his article linked above.

21 hours ago, pedaes said:

YAY!!!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!! Now, I only need to remember how :)

Welcome to the Forum

In the menu set 'Colour Saturation' to B&W, Compression to 'DNG and Jpeg', 'Resolution' to what you want your Jpeg file to be and that's it from memory. The DNG(RAW) is obviously full res and full colour information.

I think you will find review images on rear screen will be B&W, and you have no option about this if you want B&W jpegs. 

The M9's CCD DNG files convert to b&w very nicely. Agree the Monochrom M9 will have slightly more shadow detail, and higher ISO performance if that is important to you, but you have to look very closely at the former to see the difference.

Using a programme such as NIK Silver Efex will produce great results and using a desktop will have much more computing power available than in camera jpeg conversions.

Edited by pedaes

On 6/6/2023 at 2:16 AM, irenedp said:

Makes more sense to use, if you're interested in digital B&W, to buy an M9 Monochrom. With three newer generations of Monochroms in the market, they're cheap now. 

Cheap with corroded, unknown sensors...

Pentax have monochrome now for cheaper than those.

I use my M-E 220 with bw filters on the lens and it is interesting BW.

10 minutes ago, irenedp said:

If I remember well Monochroms got their sensors changed too. 

Indeed, the m9m has had their sensors replaced as well. 

for b/w photography I really would prefer a m9m over the m9, and they are almost the same price, though may be more expensive than a m246.

for reference, my m9m, new sensor, 4 batteries, cca 10.000 clicks is up for sale for 2750€.

(however, not in the mood for international shipping (pick-up only), so I guess no one here is interested, hence my quote “for reference “)