Leica photo error, need help

teeheetypes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

This afternoon, I took an image with my Leica M10 with a Summilux 50mm ASPH V1. However, 1 of the photo turns out like the attached photo. It happened after I changed my shutter speed from 1/4000 to Aperture Priority. Does anyone know what could cause this? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by teeheetypes

Very odd, it looks a bit like a double exposure, which can't happen on a digital camera that I know of. Also I notice the boys are very out of focus. Perhaps you had focused on something closer which is behind the green screen. 

To avoid confusion.....are the green screen and vertical black bar real or are they part of the problem you ask about? Or is your question only about the apparent double exposure? Do the figures/shapes on the green area occur in other photos? (I could also speculate that the green screen has a semi-shiny surface and is reflecting something behind you).

Edited by LocalHero1953

Hmmm, looks like a "computer glitch" to me.   And since digital cameras are computers, the solution is likely to be REBOOT!   Turn camera off/turn camera on.  OR, in extreme case: turn camera off/remove battery/replace battery/turn camera on.

Edited by Mikep996

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, GFW2-SCUSA said:

Very odd, it looks a bit like a double exposure, which can't happen on a digital camera that I know of. Also I notice the boys are very out of focus. Perhaps you had focused on something closer which is behind the green screen. 

The focus is actually on the green portion. It's a photo of the dancer. However, in the photo I've noticed the dancer is above and the tree is at the bottom. When it should be the other way round. I've read people are pointing towards an SD card issue. 

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

To avoid confusion.....are the green screen and vertical black bar real or are they part of the problem you ask about? Or is your question only about the apparent double exposure? Do the figures/shapes on the green area occur in other photos? (I could also speculate that the green screen has a semi-shiny surface and is reflecting something behind you).

It's referring to everything that's not part of a standard photo as I don't think it's normal to have that in any photos. It only appeared in this particular photo, the green portion seems to be highlighting what the photo is showing. Where the lower portion is the tree top and the upper portion is showing the eye level people dancing. So I think the process of writing into the card could be the potential issue? People has been telling me that the issue lies with the SD card

Cosmic rays....  I agree with Mikep996.  It's a computer glitch.  If it only happened once, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  If the camera starts doing this more frequently then I'd start becoming part of the woke generation...

1 hour ago, jimofnyc said:

Cosmic rays....  I agree with Mikep996.  It's a computer glitch.  If it only happened once, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  If the camera starts doing this more frequently then I'd start becoming part of the woke generation...

It hasn't had this issue since I bought it, but it was bought as used Leica. So I can't really tell if this has happened before. 

If it's a "computer glitch," it could easily be one of those one-time things.  We had a flat-screen TV some years back that would occasionally power up with half the screen blank.  Unplug it/plug it back in and it was normal.  Switching off/on would not correct it, only unplugging.  for the camera, I'd remove the batt, put it back in, maybe reset the camera to factory settings (option in the menu) and proceed as normal.  Also - check to be sure you have the latest firmware update.  If the green screen recurs, sending it to Leica may be the only option.

If it really is an internal camera problem that recurs, I don't know if a CLA by any of the usual suspects would do any good unless whoever is doing it can obtain/replace the associated electronics board/chip/whatever.   So before sending to anyone other than Leica, check with them to see if their expertise extends to electronic troubleshooting/repair.

On 6/4/2023 at 8:01 PM, teeheetypes said:

Hello everyone,

This afternoon, I took an image with my Leica M10 with a Summilux 50mm ASPH V1. However, 1 of the photo turns out like the attached photo. It happened after I changed my shutter speed from 1/4000 to Aperture Priority. Does anyone know what could cause this? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is the green image on a flat screen LED/OLED type of monitor ?

23 hours ago, teeheetypes said:

Yeah, it was inside the SD card with 1 single shot of that and the rest are all okay. if it's not card problem then should I send in my M10 for CLA?

A CLA, being mechanical, won’t solve electronic errors, which this  clearly is. If it occurred only once I would blame it on a Gremlin.