Observation SL & M8

Replying to my own topic whilst sitting on the balcony in the early morning sun sipping coffee I’m of the thought that as a shooter of both cameras I have to work harder to frame, focus and consider every time I press the M8 shutter. Using the SL is easier. Ergo, more investment in my M8 photos. 
foot note;

I only shoot manually on my SL

Edited by mark harverson

32 minutes ago, mark harverson said:

... I have to work harder to frame, focus and consider every time I press the M8 shutter. Using the SL is easier. Ergo, more investment in my M8 photos. 

Talking to oneself often gives the best answers! :D  I do find I take more time when using the M(s) than either the C or VLux114 :)

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 9:47 AM, mark harverson said:

Having spent some time trolling through the photographs of both the cameras posted on this forum I have concluded one of two things. 
the M8 has more accomplished photographers submitting photos or the M8 produces more interesting photos.

I think most of the difference is caused by using a Leica M system versus any reflex or mirrorless system. My photos with the M are always different compared to the ones taken by equally good Leica systems like the R8+DMR and SL.

A rangefinder allows you to look outside your frame and it forces you to imagine DOF and such before taking the picture, because you can not see it in the view finder. With portraits, the M also has an effect on the subject. It is much less intimidating compared to todays DSLRs or Mirrorless system...

Those 3 factors force you to use a completely different process for taking pictures and that is reflected in the results.