Leica Q3 - Cannot Transfer Leica Looks To Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In order to use the Leica looks in the Leica Q3, you must first transfer them to the camera via the Leica Fotos app. This feature is totally broken.

• Connect via Bluetooth repeatedly fails with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. 
• Connection successfully established via the included Leica photos cable, however the transfer of Leica looks to the camera repeatedly fails.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by DBounce

Hello DBounce,

if you open the app on your phone you notice at the top left a red point and a little black circle and on top of that a little white circle. If you tap on the circles the Leica Looks show up and you can download them to your Q3 one by one. Of course you have to connect your Q3 to your phone first. Succes.

greetings, have a nice weekend,

Klassika.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Klassika said:

Hello DBounce,

if you open the app on your phone you notice at the top left a red point and a little black circle and on top of that a little white circle. If you tap on the circles the Leica Looks show up and you can download them to your Q3 one by one. Of course you have to connect your Q3 to your phone first. Succes.

greetings, have a nice weekend,

Klassika.

The first image is of me attempting to transfer the Leica Looks to the Q3. This page opens after tapping on the button you mentioned. The transfer of the Looks to the Q3 fails with a “unexpected error”.

Maybe you should delete your Q3 from the app and connect the Q3 again to the app and try again the way I told you. Then you can tap on the different Looks and after you do that you get a message at the bottom of the screen to download them one by one onto the Q3. 

21 minutes ago, Klassika said:

Maybe you should delete your Q3 from the app and connect the Q3 again to the app and try again the way I told you. Then you can tap on the different Looks and after you do that you get a message at the bottom of the screen to download them one by one onto the Q3. 

I’ve done that already. Also tried with my iPad Pro. Same result. Do you own the Q3? If so have you had success with this process? Which mobile device are you using?

I've also been able to successfully transfer the Leica looks to my Q3 via the Fotos app.  I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max.  It is a little finicky in that sometimes you have to exit out of the app completely and then try again, but it usually connects on the 2nd try.

32 minutes ago, LeicaQ3 said:

I've also been able to successfully transfer the Leica looks to my Q3 via the Fotos app.  I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max.  It is a little finicky in that sometimes you have to exit out of the app completely and then try again, but it usually connects on the 2nd try.

I wouldn’t call that success, if you needed to try multiple times before it finally worked. Imo this is frankly unacceptable. I’m somewhat new to Leica, and quite accustomed to things just working. At $6k for body, and $7k out the door with a couple accessories, this is an appalling user experience. Is this the normal Leica experience? If so why do Leica users put up with this? I understand with a very cheap product… you get what you pay for; but Leica is asking to dollar for these cameras.

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

I wouldn’t call that success, if you needed to try multiple times before it finally worked. Imo this is frankly unacceptable. I’m somewhat new to Leica, and quite accustomed to things just working. At $6k for body, and $7k out the door with a couple accessories, this is an appalling user experience. Is this the normal Leica experience? If so why do Leica users put up with this? I understand with a very cheap product… you get what you pay for; but Leica is asking to dollar for these cameras.

I’m guessing you haven’t tried Fujifilm: https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-xapp-temporarily-removed-from-app-stores/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, beewee said:

You’d be wrong. I bought a XH2S to see how I liked it. The app is a hot mess. Add to that the fact that that camera overheated at room temperature and you can probably already figure out that I returned it. It had promise, but for my use, failed to deliver.

I did finally get the Looks to install. The issue is 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz. For my device I needed to select 2.4Ghz. 

That said, I have other concerns after playing with the Q3. I really hoping it is just user error. 

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

I’m a Sony shooter as well and have an FX3.  I currently can’t connect my FX3 to the Sony creator app at all.  At the moment, the Leica Fotos app is more reliable than Sony’s for me.

Edited by LeicaQ3

I have successfully transfered Fotos and Leica Looks trough the Fotos App. I have an iPhone SE (the latest one). I have the camera set up as to use the geo location of the phone. So everytime I turn on the camera it connects to my phone. Works everytime and I don't have the issues you're having. I do have issues with other camera apps such as the one for the Ricoh GR3. What helps there is to disconnect the Home WiFi before joining the cameras network. My experience so far with the Q3 and the app has been flawless so far and I'm actually quite impressed how good it works. Wouldn't have thought that at all after hearing user experiences of other Leica Camera Early Adopters like the M11 and SL...

• 2 months later...

Managed to download all of the Leica Looks to my Q3 and am sure I'll be experimenting with them all.

A couple of  questions:

When I select JPG Settings/Leica Looks I get a choice of the 5 different styles, but how do I get a J Peg without any of the Leica Looks ?

Do I need the iPhone to be paired when using Leica Looks

How do I delete them