The wrong way to load film

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's a bit like cooking really. First there is the recipe, then there is the well intentioned friend, and then there is your own practice and experience that over rides all.

Did I say cooking? Maybe I should have say film processing. Well, that is cooking, isn't it.

Lesson: start from 1st principles and then develop your own method/improvements.

P.S. If you really want a confusing film loading example, try handing a Hasselblad magazine to a rooky for loading. Even seasoned photographers have been known to stuff that up.

• Like 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb erl:

It's a bit like cooking really. First there is the recipe, then there is the well intentioned friend, and then there is your own practice and experience that over rides all.

Did I say cooking? Maybe I should have say film processing. Well, that is cooking, isn't it.

Lesson: start from 1st principles and then develop your own method/improvements.

P.S. If you really want a confusing film loading example, try handing a Hasselblad magazine to a rooky for loading. Even seasoned photographers have been known to stuff that up.

But that´s the the same. Instead of using a standard film, standard developer and read some of the plenty manuals and datasheets from the manufacturer, people

look at stupid videos and start with expired and pushed surveillance film in instant coffe-developer. Than they come back to the forum and ask beginners questions.

• Thanks 1

My worst experience was with a trainee photographer at a wedding. I had schooled him in how to load a Hasselblad magazine. After the fiest roll I shot, I asked him for the next magazine, that he had loaded. I shot that at the brides home and when the 12 exposures were done, I wound the film off to find he had loaded the magazine with the paper backing, not the film, facing the lens!!!

A quick conversation with the bride to explain that the previous shots were a warm up for her to get used my style, and now we will shoot the 'real' shots, ahemm! 🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

12 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

The chances are that if you have been successfully taking pictures and then find that you cannot wind on any more - you have come to the end of the film, maybe it was shorter than you thought it was or the frame counter was showing the wrong number. With a screw Leica you have to reset it to zero when you load up. On the other hand I have a CL film camera that jumps forward two frame numbers when you wind on. I found that out when I thought I had come to the end of the film but had blank frames left after I had developed it.

It wasn't with a Leica but recently my Nikon SP jammed, what Nikon's just don't jam! And for a few minutes I was considering my options, how much for a CLA and where to send it, but only on saving the exposed film by rewinding it did I see it had jammed on frame 24.........., sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

• Haha 3

vor 19 Stunden schrieb erl:

My worst experience was with a trainee photographer at a wedding. I had schooled him in how to load a Hasselblad magazine. After the fiest roll I shot, I asked him for the next magazine, that he had loaded. I shot that at the brides home and when the 12 exposures were done, I wound the film off to find he had loaded the magazine with the paper backing, not the film, facing the lens!!!

A quick conversation with the bride to explain that the previous shots were a warm up for her to get used my style, and now we will shoot the 'real' shots, ahemm! 🤪

He recently got his first Leica and is now member of the LFI, sharing his experience.. 

On 6/6/2023 at 3:42 PM, erl said:

Common with hasselblad happened to me on a shooting session, luckily i always shot a couple rolls a session, which one of them turned blank after developing it

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, qqphot said:

It looks like he wasted 5 or 6 viable exposures. As someone who regularly uses 12 exposure rolls for immediate gratification, this technique would waste half my film!

But overall by loading only 12 exposures you are wasting far more film, a case of swings and roundabouts.

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

But overall by loading only 12 exposures you are wasting far more film, a case of swings and roundabouts.

Piling 'waste' on top of waste then becomes 'super waste'. 🤪