Lesser-mentioned Leica Q2 issues solved with Q3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There were a few issues I had with the Q2 that I don't think will be mentioned in reviews and curious if people can answer. The only reviewer I ever saw mention some of these was Samuel Streetlife.

• The Q2 rear display had quite bad color accuracy (mainly toward desaturation). Reviews of the new display have spoken about resolution, but curious if the image on the back of the camera matches the RAW now
  • The manual focus switch was difficult to engage ergonomically and also many units (including mine) had glitchy operation sometimes. This might take time to discover, but curious if the mechanism was improved
  • Video autofocus for tracking faces was mostly unusable on the Q2. I expect this is improved, but want to see examples!
  • Leica and Hasselblad are the only two companies that offer a reasonable iPhone app for remote shooting and video. The addition of USB-C to Lightning direct connection is huge for this—does photo and video go over the wire when connected directly, or is it still over WiFi?

Assuming these are fixed, excited this camera can finally be my everything-camera. I've been waiting a long time for this!

On 6/1/2023 at 3:03 AM, alerion said:

There were a few issues I had with the Q2 that I don't think will be mentioned in reviews and curious if people can answer. The only reviewer I ever saw mention some of these was Samuel Streetlife.

• The Q2 rear display had quite bad color accuracy (mainly toward desaturation). Reviews of the new display have spoken about resolution, but curious if the image on the back of the camera matches the RAW now
    SNIP

• Leica and Hasselblad are the only two companies that offer a reasonable iPhone app for remote shooting and video. The addition of USB-C to Lightning direct connection is huge for this—does photo and video go over the wire when connected directly, or is it still over WiFi?

Hi I don't have my Q3 as yet but I assume that the rear display preview shows a low resolution basic preview of a JPEG version not from a DNG. That would be whether or not you are saving any JPEG versions. The histogram is derived in the same way.
A far as I know that is the case with all other cameras too. I havent studied the instructions as yet but I expect that you will be able tweak the screen settings more to your liking as you can with other Leicas. 

Reviews suggest that the wireless transfer via the App is actually faster than by USBc cable.

Why do you need to judge colour saturation on the rear screen?

I use my screen to check composition and sometimes exposure. Everything can be changed in post, especially with RAW images.

I wouldn't personally shoot video on any Q iteration.

I do like "samuel streetlife" but none of the "issues" he brought up when deciding to sell his Q2 bothered me at all which was pleasing for me.

The lens does feel a bit wider than 28mm but i can embrace that moving forward as there are good things about that probable fact in my view.

• 2 months later...

Checking in on this again, as I haven't found answers in reviews I've seen.

Why do you need to judge colour saturation on the rear screen?

My photography is quite color centric, and the disappointment of seeing a washed-out photo is significantly demotivating. Often I can't quite tell if I captured what I was intending to. The difference is stark when compared to other systems I've used (really, all of them—Fuji, Sony, Canon, Hasselblad).

Less important, but I also sometimes show photos to clients on-camera, and it really matters if the colors are popping and we can get excited about them together.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/31/2023 at 11:49 AM, Olaf_ZG said:

The main issue with the Q is that one sells it, and then rebuys it. Doubt that the Q3 will solve that…

Isn’t this true.

I personally know two people who sold their Q2’s and within a month or two purchased another…and both took a loss.

People complain about the Q series shortcomings…get rid of them and then quickly realize that they do some things exceedingly well.

None of these issues ever bother me with my Q2

The Q2 rear display had quite bad color accuracy (mainly toward desaturation). Reviews of the new display have spoken about resolution, but curious if the image on the back of the camera matches the RAW now

I never chimp. Shoot RAW and process in LR.

The manual focus switch was difficult to engage ergonomically and also many units (including mine) had glitchy operation sometimes. This might take time to discover, but curious if the mechanism was improved

It's easy enough to change, or simply leave on manual and not be bothered by it.

Video autofocus for tracking faces was mostly unusable on the Q2. I expect this is improved, but want to see examples!

Never used video and never will. My phone does that.

Leica and Hasselblad are the only two companies that offer a reasonable iPhone app for remote shooting and video. The addition of USB-C to Lightning direct connection is huge for this—does photo and video go over the wire when connected directly, or is it still over WiFi?

No need to shoot indirectly: I like to be in control of the camera directly.