New: Leica Q3 with 60 MP BSI Sensor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

So if I trade my Q for a Q3 I can finally tell my clients and the two galleries that handle my work that I am finally a ‘professional’ 😂

Feel free! 

For some of my assignments I did not needed even 18 MP, but preferred to use RAW of smaller size.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Carrot:

Leica have confirmed to me that the Q2 handgrip will fit the Q3. This is helpful if you like using the grip but aren’t bothered about investing in wireless charging. 

Fits perfect.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Krycek said:

However, there are two fundamental problems on this camera:

- Maximum continuous shooting mode limited to 4fps in 14bit with AF...

- No external microphone jack for a camera that includes so much video spec...not comprehensible...

I did read in one review by someone who has had the Q3 from Leica as a pre-release, that Leica informed him that they intend to release in the future, an external mike that will use the USB-C port on the camera.

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have been toying with my Q2 since the announcement trying to figure out if I have any inclination to upgrade, I decided I do not. The bump in mps doesn't do anything for me as the photos have incredible detail already but if I didn't already have the Q2 I would have less money in my wallet and an angry wife. The tilting screen doesn't do anything for me either...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think you can get as nice pictures with Q2 as with Q3. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite art photographer uses Q2 and I don´t see any quality limitations on his work, on the contrary.

I have Q2 Monochrom and have in order Q3 for colour. I will never give up my Q2M. it will continue to teach me about black and white photography, and in 10-20 years it will become a collector's item like older M’s are today :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maxx24 said:

Fits perfect.

Is that the official Q3 thumb grip or also for the Q2? I’m curious if my off brand Q2 JJC thumb grip will work on the Q3, as it doesn’t cover the button(s).

Edited by jbripley

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Kristofferpaulsen:

also, curious about the AF upgrade, will be great to trial. Kai's review showed it not grabbing focus on video super well. 

Video is something I have never need all these years, however, I‘m curious about the AF when taking pictures. Especially how well eye-af works. Any experiences so far?

5 hours ago, Carrot said:

Leica have confirmed to me that the Q2 handgrip will fit the Q3. This is helpful if you like using the grip but aren’t bothered about investing in wireless charging. 

The new Q3 grip also appears to offer ArcaSwiss rails that the Q2 grip does not.

vor 42 Minuten schrieb jbripley:

Is that the official Q3 thumb grip or also for the Q2? I’m curious if my off brand Q2 JJC thumb grip will work on the Q3, as it doesn’t cover the button(s).

Hi jbripley, yes, that is the Q3 thumb grip. It has to route two buttons, versus the one button for the Q2 thumb grip. 

• Like 1

vor 7 Minuten schrieb goodbokeh:

The new Q3 grip also appears to offer ArcaSwiss rails that the Q2 grip does not.

As you can see that new grip has that rail in front but at the back its fully flat. Can you make out if this is suitable for your tripod?

Edited by M11 for me

9 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

As you can see that new grip has that rail in front but at the back its fully flat. Can you make out if this is suitable for your tripod?

No, it needs the rail in the back also for ArcaSwiss. That's too bad.

On 5/25/2023 at 8:44 AM, Louis said:

It looks to be a great camera, but I wish the lens was 50mm, or at least 35mm; 28 is not for me, unfortunately. 

Main reason I haven't looked at a Q seriously.  Love the idea of the Q concept but the 28 as a standard isn't for me in spite of the crop features.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I look forward for some examples of the stabilisation of the video footage. With 8K you can do some good crops for smaller sized videos like HD which is still plenty for a lot of soc. media work. Stellar camera and if there will be USB C MIc In cable in the future that would be excellent.

4 hours ago, M11 for me said:

As you can see that new grip has that rail in front but at the back it’s fully flat. Can you make out if this is suitable for your tripod?

Darn. I was hoping the grip was Arca Swiss compatible but it looks like it is not. :( 

19 hours ago, Dennis said:

Yes, that's interesting. However, considering that it has a 60MP resolution but only shoots at 39MP, I don't see enough justification to purchase the new camera. Additionally, the 35mm view in the electronic viewfinder (EVF) appears similar to the 35mm frame line in the optical viewfinder (OVF) of an M camera with a 35mm lens. When using an EVF, I prefer not to see anything outside of the frame.

But... If the Q3M were to be released with the same specifications as the Q3 but equipped with a monochrome sensor, a tilt screen, and... a 35mm lens, I would be absolutely amazed. Where can I sign up? 

Have you considered the Sony RX1R II? No IBIS and the batteries don’t last long - otherwise a credible Q2/Q3 competitor, even today, if you prefer 35mm. And it’s significantly more compact, fwiw.