New m6. Is the frame counter off an issue?

39 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

let's take (make ?) pictures with these nice tools.

Yeah, but that's the thing. The aren't so nice if they don't look right.

Besides, if they can't even do a small and easy alignment properly, who knows what other things could be wrong inside? Can we trust them to have assembled and adjusted all those hundreds of extremely fine and delicate components correctly, if they can't even do a frame counter? Someone looked at an obviously crooked frame counter and said, "yes, that will do". How can you trust that person to have done everything else right? What if they applied the "that will do" strategy to the innards of the camera as well?

Edited by Vlad Soare
  • Like 1

As you like 🤞

A bit out of topic then ...

Without faith, these Tourbillon watches

would not have been created, just a thought,

Leica gear is cheap comparing to those watches for-happy-few

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/de-ville/tourbillon/catalog

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

only 183k$
  • Like 1

I just looked at M3, M4, M4-2 and M6 original: 

• Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb a.noctilux:

As you like 🤞

only 183k$

So I sold my new M6 and bought myself a framecounter tourbillon, a dusty Ricoh KR-10X 😉 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 20 Stunden schrieb LocalHero1953:

I disliked the M2 design - too easy to move the disk round accidentally.

+1. I never liked the M2 frame counter design either. At the time, it was the el cheapo version to lower the price of the M2 relative to the M3, and it sure looks like that even today.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

As you like 🤞

only 183k$

Not quite $183K. I paid $189 USD for it in 1986 and it still runs great!

Edited by madNbad
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, madNbad said:

Not quite $183K. I paid $189 USD for it in 1986 and it still runs great!

Looks great. 😍 👍

This one is 1980 and still runs great. I wear it every day. I don't know how much it was, though. It belonged to my wife's late father, who had received it as a gift.

Unlike Leica, in this case the serial numbers do have a meaning and aren't just assigned randomly. My S/N tells me it's the 18th copy produced in January 1980.

This caliber, 6309, is supposed to be accurate to +/- 20 seconds a day. Mine runs slow by a minute per week, which is well within spec.

Goes well with my silver M-A. 😎😁

Edited by Vlad Soare
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, wizard said:

+1. I never liked the M2 frame counter design either. At the time, it was the el cheapo version to lower the price of the M2 relative to the M3, and it sure looks like that even today.

If it was that "el cheapo" I wonder why it was chosen for the Professional MP back in 1956 (two years before the M2). I suspect that cost never was part of the equation.

The frame counter of the M2 may have been and looked cheaper, but it was perfectly visible and readable from miles away, and it had no alignment issues.
In all fairness, I haven't actually used it myself, nor seen it in the flesh. It may be that it wasn't as nice to use in real life as I'm imagining.

50 minutes ago, Vlad Soare said:

The frame counter of the M2 may have been and looked cheaper, but it was perfectly visible and readable from miles away, and it had no alignment issues.
In all fairness, I haven't actually used it myself, nor seen it in the flesh. It may be that it wasn't as nice to use in real life as I'm imagining.

The M3 counter is perfectly visible from arm’s length which is more useful.  And how do you know the M2’s has no alignment issues?  Guess what?…

Edited by Huss

Just now, Huss said:

And how do you know the M2’s has no alignment issues?  Guess what?…

I mean you can align it yourself however you want. You don't have to see it crooked all the time just because a Leica employee couldn't be bothered to do it properly and thought it was good enough.

I agree, it is visible. But only after you move the camera around to get rid of all the reflections. 

8 minutes ago, Vlad Soare said:

I mean you can align it yourself however you want. You don't have to see it crooked all the time just because a Leica employee couldn't be bothered to do it properly and thought it was good enough.

I agree, it is visible. But only after you move the camera around to get rid of all the reflections. 

I dunno dood, I have a whole bunch of Leica Ms and never had an issue.  Never had to move them around to rid reflections. And you know why? Because there aren't any as the cover glass is intentionally curved to magnify the image and minimize reflections.

You’ll only see reflections if it was a flat piece of glass.  Was the cover glass changed in your camera?

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Vlad Soare:

Mine runs slow by a minute per week, which is well within spec.

While that's really not too bad for such an old watch, it would be easy to adjust it to be even more accurate, if you know how to do it. I don't like any of my watches running slow, so I adjust them myself to run within 0 to +5s per day. I have quite a few mechanical watches, none of them expensive, that I can wear for a month and that are still within about 10s from true time (checked with a radio controlled watch, never use radio, TV or mobile phone, they are not exact) at the end of the month. I find that quite remarkable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wizard said:

Makes me wonder, too. Could be that it is less prone to fail, I dunno.

I don't know about the indicator itself, but the reset mechanism does seem to be very prone to fail, if the number of people who report having issues with it on this forum is anything to go by.

7 hours ago, wizard said:

Makes me wonder, too. Could be that it is less prone to fail, I dunno.

Rotating the frame counter on my M2 feels like winding a fine watch.  It seems like a high-quality mechanism.  Now, if I could just remember to manually reset it when I load a roll of film...

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Rotating the frame counter on my M2 feels like winding a fine watch.  It seems like a high-quality mechanism.  Now, if I could just remember to manually reset it when I load a roll of film...

That was always my problem. My one regret after switching from M3 to M2.