New m6. Is the frame counter off an issue?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

*update* ended up correcting itself after a few more shots 

The counter reset lever is a little tab at the front of the camera on the take up side. After you rewind the film and remove the baseplate it should reset the counter to -2. Since it's a new camera, it's still pretty stiff. You can move it with your finger to reset the counter. It'll loosen up with use.

Edited by madNbad

Welcome to the club. My M-A came new from the factory suffering from the same issue. Only mine is consistent over the entire range and didn't get any better with use.
Leica's quality control is hit or miss nowadays. Mostly miss, it seems.

Edited by Vlad Soare
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's mine.

Such minor variations are common - just part of adjustment tolerances. Since I bulk load I'm seldom sure of exactly how many exposures are on a roll, so the frame counter doesn't matter much. (And on my M2 I often forget to zero it anyway...)

My new M6.  It's about the only thing that was correct out of the box...

But in all honesty, yours looks 'fine'.  All my other Ms are kinda/sorta like that.  You still know it is indicating the third shot, even if it is not perfectly lined up.

To be honest, it isn't so much the misalignment that bothers me as the design of the window. It's curvy and shiny, which makes the scale difficult to see. I suppose the idea is for it to act like a loupe, to make the lines and digits appear larger, and thus easier to read, but I don't like it. I always get the impression I'm looking through the bottom of a jar. Or through someone else's reading glasses. I wish they used the simple and clean design of the M2 for the entire line-up. Nice and easy to read, no reflections, no alignment issues... 

Edited by Vlad Soare

14 minutes ago, Vlad Soare said:

To be honest, it isn't so much the misalignment that bothers me as the design of the window. It's curvy and shiny, which makes the scale difficult to see. 

The design is retro, lifted directly from the M3, which is basically what the M-A and MP are supposed to be...  late production model M3 bodies with M4 loading and M6 viewfinders.

Is it worth considering if there is some variation with different films, springy, thicker base, etc.? And I don't know if my M6 even does it, never noticed a 'problem', all I want to know is when I get near the end of the roll, and if it goes anywhere between 36 and 40 I'm happy.

Edited by 250swb

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I disliked the M2 design - too easy to move the disk round accidentally.

Agreed.  And you have to remember to set it every time.  It was the budget option.

I have no problem reading the magnified view on the M6, or pretty much any other camera that uses this sort of implementation.

5 hours ago, Vlad Soare said:

To be honest, it isn't so much the misalignment that bothers me as the design of the window. It's curvy and shiny, which makes the scale difficult to see...

It's funny because every single image posted to this thread shows the scale is very easy to see!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Huss said:

It's funny because every single image posted to this thread shows the scale is very easy to see!

In all fairness, I did struggle a bit to find the correct angle to take the picture, from which the reflections were minimal. Besides, the camera is much better at focusing and rendering fine details, even through reflections, than the human eye is.
There's hardly any time when something isn't reflecting off that window, and reflections are more annoying to the naked eye (or at least to my naked eye; your mileage may vary) than they are to the camera.

And when I can finally read the indicator, I notice it's crooked and my OCD goes off. 😂
My wife's MP is aligned perfectly. 

Edited by Vlad Soare