How to focus portraits with a rangefinder

Ronaldraw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Ronaldraw said:

Is it true that focusing on eye is easier with a 50mm than with a 28 or 35mm? Especially if this happens at one and a half meters?

What you see in the viewfinder is exactly the same with a 28mm lens or a 50mm. The framelines change (just an aid to show roughly what comes in the picture), but the magnification of the image is always the same. So theoretically, focusing is just as easy regardless of the focal length.

What does change, however, is the depth of field. With a wider lens, you get more wiggle room due to more acceptable sharpness on both sides of the focal plane (a little more behind than at the front). And, as you mention yourself, focus accuracy is more critical the closer you go.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ronaldraw said:

Is it true that focusing on eye is easier with a 50mm than with a 28 or 35mm? Especially if this happens at one and a half meters?

Reading your question again, I see that you are asking the opposite of what I first thought. Because for a rangefinder user it is most natural to think the opposite (for the reasons I described above). Anyway, my previous answer is still the same.

12 minutes ago, evikne said:

Reading your question again, I see that you are asking the opposite of what I first thought. Because for a rangefinder user it is most natural to think the opposite (for the reasons I described above). Anyway, my previous answer is still the same.

Thanks 

I will visit a Leica Store and trying to see a camera, so I can see it.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:51 AM, Ronaldraw said:

I want to switch to a rangefinder, M10 or M11. I want to use this for portrait photography. I've seen several YouTube movies and forums, but I'm not quite convinced yet whether a rangefinder is suitable for portrait photography. I understand that you have to focus through the patch, duplication has to become a whole. But how do I do that if I want to focus on the eye? Because there are only vertical lines on the patch. 
Are there examples of this and what is your experience and advice?

Thank you in advance 

I'm afraid here is odd modern misunderstanding of what portrait is.  While portrait is something to have person in focus. :)

If you want to use rangefinder for photos this needs to be clear. If you want to stay with "trend" you'll be better served with eye follow AF cameras. 

Nothing stops from focusing on the eye with rangefinder.  Horizontal, vertical doesn't matter.  To keep eye in focus after recompose you need to understand the DOOF well.